Sign in to follow this  
Oldfashionedgirl

Lost TCM? It's only available on digital cable now. Why?

37 posts in this topic

I just wondered if anyone else was as upset as I am by the loss of TCM.

I do have digital cable in one room of my house but this move takes TCM out of the equation on 3 other televisions where I normally watch the network.

This was done by Time Warner Cable in Southern California and I was told it was at the request of TCM. Was it done anywhere else? Are other people experiencing this same problem?

Why would the network choose to take itself out of so many homes?

Message was edited by:

Oldfashionedgirl

Message was edited by:

Oldfashionedgirl

I don't have digital in San Francisco, but I still have TCM. It must be a decision, made by Time-Warner in your area. I'm sure it's just a matter of time, as everything's going digital eventually...

TCM is going digital, like all the other networks and channels.

The change over to digital signals is happening via cable companies all over the country. Over the next few years all channels via cable will be digital.

TCM did not request to go digital. The changing technological world we live in mandated the changeover to digital (with help from High Def and the Feds).

If your cable company told you it was done at TCM's request they're lieing to you. The tcmprogrammer indicated, in a post a week or two ago, that TCM has no control over where cable companies places them (including Time-Warner), that they don't get a cent extra from the cable companies and it actually hurts them when a move like yours is made.

However, it is a fact that the government is requiring all channels to be digital by 2009 so the cable companies are trying to get folks to switch now by moviing favorite channels to the digital tier. Of course, that also allows them to charge you more now instead of waiting another two years.

As said, TCM can't do a thing about it, if you want TCM in those other rooms, your only choice is to go digital and pay the extra fee.

What is really sad is all the senior citizens who's only joy is TCM, but are on a limited income and can't afford to switch. In fact, they won't even be able to watch over-the-air channels without buying a special converter box for a couple of hundred bucks. How many will lose tv completely?

Get DirecTV

For now, yes, but you may tune in one day to see the black screen with the message "To order this channel...." at the bottom, as happened with Fox Movie Channel a month or so ago. I had not seen the threads about it; called DirecTV and finally the person realized (after the usual technical questions/suggestions) that they had gone to the $5 extra package (along with Biography, History International, other stuff I've somewhat considered); in essence, what the cable folks do by making you pay for the digital box to get - and if you do that and you're used to regular cable (like Mom) you can't set your VCR to record different channels - at least not easily. They always get you in the end.......

How many will lose tv completely?

I am completely against the all digital move both because not everyone can afford satellite or cable and because without broadcast what do we do in an emergency?

I'd encourage anyone who is opposed to the removal of all broadcast television to write their congressmen and senators.

Message was edited by:

Oldfashionedgirl

I'd encourage anyone who is opposed to the removal of all broadcast television to write their congressmen and senators.>>

For the record, it's not the removal of all broadcast television that you are opposing.

Broadcast television will still be there whether you have just the big 4 channels, cable or satellite. It will, however,be broadcast via a digital signal. We will all have to have a television that can read a digital signal. The Feds have been talking about this for the last five years. It's been passed into law.

The networks and cable stations and cable providers have until 2010 to comply. Each have been slowly rolling it out so that consumers are not taken by surprise.

The networks and cable stations are not going to go back to analog signals. Digital is here to stay.

I just wondered if anyone else was as upset as I am by the loss of TCM.

Are you kidding?????

Look for my thread that begins 'It's been fun...'

WHY? Because they can. Because your cable company is a crook, as is mine. Because I believe, but of course I believe Oswald didn't act alone, that there is collusion between TCM and my cable company. Because the cable companies realize there are 56 (on my set) channels of crap and so they can hold the one decent channel ransom so that I and others will pay the kidnappers for the pleasure of seeing ONE channel.

WERE you told it was done at the request of TCM???? How fascinating. I believed this when I first got the letter, and nothing can really dissuade me. Come on, it's a win win, TCM gets a few extra pieces of silver and the crooks at Cablevision get me and others (because DISH supposedly sucks if somebody spits and no doubt they'll do the same highjacking once I'm a customer) to sign up for the government imposed mandate (no collusion there, eh?) on digital which isn't supposed to take place until 2009.

Then again, I can simply do without TCM until 2009, right? But, wait! What will Cablevision think of next to FORCE me into digital?

Oh, and does Time Warner force you to RENT their useless boxes every month simply for the pleasure of seeing television in a way that no one really needed to see it (ah, the Amazing Race in high def, what a thrill)? Cablevision does. Imagine, renting a box that is a throwaway, it don't get better than that. Oh, sure it does, imagine all the kickbacks to the politicians who came up with this idea in the first place.

They always get you in the end.......

Yes, they do, Bill, yes they do. But when price fixing and conopolies (not a word, but my word for monopolies in collusions) are allowed to flourish by a government that is in bed with the FCC, we the people can just bend over.

I'd encourage anyone who is opposed to the removal of all broadcast television to write their congressmen and senators.

Uhhh.......who do you think approved this kidnapping and ransom in the first place? Just look around at what the FCC is allowing in terms of corporate takeovers of the entertainment media.

But hey, America -- love it or leave it.

Upset? Me? Nah.

dolores

Well, that's one - TCM, two - cable companies.

Timing is everthing. I just got back from trying to bite the bullet, even though as Keyes says, the little man in my gut keeps telling me not to. As I walked into the Cablevision 'store', where a lone clerk (poor guy) was sitting behind a plate glass partition (very customer friendly, wonder why that is), I overhead a woman asking about the use of her remote.

She then said the magic words...she queried the clerk: if she wasn't watching TCM (ah ha, I says out loud to their consternation), could she use her remote instead of the digital remote. Poor lass, she wasn't conversant with the ways of skullduggery and plundering. No, the clerk informed her, once you had the new cable box set up, you'd have to disconnect it to use your old remote. Duh. All interaction with said digital would have to be through their remote.

So then yours truly butted in and waxed cynical about the highjacking of our beloved station -- one of her favorites, she said -- and that the CLERK told her that it was TCM's fault we were being forced to go digital. What? says I, more than a little interested. Yes, it seems TCM is going digital, says Cablevision, and pooooor Cablevision has no choice but to shove the boxes down our collective throats and charge us an exorbitant amount of money so we too can watch American Idol in glorious high defc.ra.p.

Well, I'll be, says I, informing her about this here message board and how we were told just the opposite. Having had mine mind made up, I left the office and the lady to finishing out her transaction (she bought the digital), never to return. Thank you, strange lady for the happenstance meeting. If I go digital, it won't be with Cablevision. If I want TCM badly enough, I'll go ahead and try DISH or wait until 2009.

So, tcm heads of state, who's lying? You? Cablevision? You can't both be telling the truth.

My, my, as Big Daddy said, I hates mendacity.

dolores

Wow what a crock... Cablevision is and always been full of crap...

If you get the phone/cable and internet @$99.00 it's good for only one year then the phone goes up from $29.99 to $67.00 a month and cable prices soar. So where's the bargain?

Verizon is now offering the same package but it doesn't say for one year only... But it's in limited areas. Cable when I first got it years ago was a bargain just for reception @$11.00 per month.with more channels. Now it's pay per view at ridiculous prices. Dolores, I feel your pain....

vallo

TCM is still on my "expanded basic" cable plan through Comcast. I've heard nothing about it moving to a digital only channel on our system.

You are right.

About 8 years ago I signed up for Direct TV for about $26 a month.

A year later I went up to the second tier for about $36 so I could get TCM and Fox.

Then Direct TV went up on their prices every couple of years. Now I'm paying $47 a month, and Direct TV just dropped Fox. I was already paying extra for Fox, and now they want me to pay even more for Fox. The same thing could happen with TCM any day.

I receive about 150 junk channels now, but I watch only about 8 channels. I'm now paying about $6 a month for the channels I watch, and Fox has just been removed.

Well personally I believe the government forcing the entire population to purchase new televisions is a crime. I also don't believe that it's actually going to happen in the time frame put forth. I believe the 2009 deadline is already the second deadline they've passed. It's been extended once already, hasn't it?

Since the vast majority of the population now owns several televisions per household and the prices of HD sets are still astronomical, the advertising dollars will tank if they stop analog broadcasts. Who will be watching? No where near the numbers of television viewers they have now.

Congress has postponed the deadline once and I think they will continue to do so, especially if there is an outcry from the public. The more people that actively complain to them about this the higher chance they'll make yet another change.

I say, don't give up.

And unfortunately if my favorite channels continue to go all digital, I guess I won't be watching them either.

>"And unfortunately if my favorite channels continue to go all digital, I guess I won't be watching them either."<

They're doing the same thing with HD radio.

And Sony is coming out with "Bluetooth" Technology soon. Too much too soon.

We are getting squeezed into buying products that we don't really need.

It took years for people to buy color TV's in the 60's

I still have my 9" black & white and it plays great...

vallo

Dolores, I don't want to create any problems with any cable systems and - since it's not my area of the company - I don't claim to undestand the details. But I do know that it is our preference to be on basic and I do not think there is any advantage to us being on digital. Put it this way - if it's to our advantage to be on digital and we control how we're offered, why do most cable systems carry us on basic? Maybe there is some part of this I don't understand, but I'm not lying to you.

Here in Florida we have Bright House Networks, which offers both digital and basic. TCM is on both of them.

I live right down the road from movieman1957, and TCM is still analog expanded basic on our system. If TCM was going all digital, wouldn't everyone be changing?

I thought TCM went to digital awhile back, maybe a year or so. I do know that TCM is clearer on my DISH than many of the other channels.

I would be as against it as much as anybody if my cable company was doing that, but that is one reason I left Cable and went to DISH. They were always cutting channels, adding on ones I didn't care about, and raising their prices about every two months. I will never go back and only regret waiting so long to go to satellite (which actually works out to about the same as I was paying on cable). At least with satellite, you have a choice of which company to go with. Cable companies have a complete monopoly on where you get cable from.

One thing I haven't noticed anyone here mentioning is looking forward to a better image and sound from TCM in switching to digital.

On again, off again. I just called DISH and they will give me two receivers for two televisions (I assume I am not required to have the same program on each television?), 120 channels including at this moment TCM and HBO for $59.98 a month. That's 8 dollars less than Cablevision and there is no monthly charge for the two boxes. There is a charge of five dollars a month for each additional box. I think.

Another question on the cable digital, are the digital receivers available commercially? I am looking at them online and they are called 'terrestial receivers'. If they are available for sale, why is Cablevision trying to rent me a receiver by the month? Are they apeing Ma Bell and her monopoly?

All of this is very confusing and annoys me no end. I don't like being told by the only cable company in town that I have to buy something I don't want.

I never thought I'd be working this hard to keep TCM.

dolores

I was a subscriber to Video Review at the time the "high resolution" ball got rolling. High resolution was the jargon I read in Video Review about the move away from NTSC...a couple of decades ago. High resolution turned into "high definition". I don't remember anything about an all digital standard. What I do remember is the main reason for the move away from NTSC. The main reason was the fear of a new broadcast system for the United States originating in Japan. I suppose all digital signal was part of the broadcast system adopted as the new standard. I suppose mandatory all digital television for 2009 is because the VHF and UHF bands have been sold for some other use.

Oldfashionedgirl makes a good point regarding affordability of digital television...who can and who cannot afford the thing...and television as a source of emergency information. I live one mile from an interstate road. The interstate road is the preferred path for tornados...lot's of 'em. I like having local television during those times when a tornado is traveling up the interstate and targeting my house. I can afford the switch to digital television, but I know a lot of people in my county cannot. No analog broadcast...no television...no warning until the tornado siren. In my area, the tornado siren sounds after the tornado...something like a "farewell to cyclone" siren. I wonder if a government program exists to help low income people for the digital switch over? I don't believe a "help the needy get digital television" exists...more likely, just another point of light fallen through the safety net and out of sight.

By the way, here is my candidate for biggest lie by a cable company (CableOne). Three days of TCM sound out of synch with picture...and I am talking about several minutes of sound out of synch with video. Three days of attempts to contact CableOne. Third day...make contact. Tell cable flak catcher about the sound problem. Flak catcher responds, "yes...one other subscriber complained about the problem with sound. I'm sorry, but our rules are...three complaints before we take action to correct a transmission problem". My response? A couple of sentences worth of asterisks.

Rusty

On again, off again. I just called DISH and they will give me two receivers for two televisions (I assume I am not required to have the same program on each television?)

Delores, ask DISH for the DUAL DVR receiver, as opposed to two receivers. It is only one unit, but comes with two remotes (one for each room), and you can have different programs going at once in two rooms. Even better, I can have two stations being recorded at once, and still watch or burn something from the DVR's memory at the same time to my separate DVD recorder. (You can record up to 100 hours into the DVR's memory, which is great for being able to burn later to DVD on a separate DVD recorder at your leisure.)

Take a look at this DISH webpage about the DVR receiver and you will see the DUAL DVR receiver near the bottom part.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/dvr/index.shtml

Rusty, I recall whenever I would have a problem with cable, I would call the cable company and wait forever for a human being to answer. Luckily, their recorded message told me that my call was very important to them. And the message was so good at boosting my ego, it would repeat how very important my call was to them, over and over again, every minute. And when I would finally get a cable person, it sounded like I just got the only person left in the whole place.

And, yes, unless they had a number of people complaining about the same thing, they would do nothing to correct whatever my problem was.

In thinking about all the cable commercials I've seen where it shows some bright, energetic indivual working for them, I can't help but think of the Best Buy commercials that show a bright, energetic, and knowledgeable sales person. The person who created the BB commercials has obviously never been in a BB store. If you can find a sales person, the knowledge they have on movies or computers or CDs, etc., is nothing! Mostly, they stand together, especially at the cash registers' area (but not actually working) while a line of angry customers eye them for a coffin.