EugeniaH

What Brings You to This Site?

212 posts in this topic

Having been a member here in TCM Message Board Paradise for almost five years and in getting to know the other "regulars" here (as much as one can online, anyway), I started to wonder, what brings everyone here?  It has to be about more than just love of film.

If you like this board better than other sites, why?  Is it for the sense of community, to have a 'give and take' with this particular group?  Are you here because you enjoy the personalities of other posters?  Or are you someone who likes to start threads for discussion? 

• Like 5

These boards are a nicely controlled form of a live chat room. Here, we're as close to chatting live as we can be without actually entering the chat room. When everyone gathers for their daily feeding, the static responses are nearly instantaneous.

Other message boards and forums.. you'll be lucky to get a reply to a post in less than 4 weeks.

.. that, and my docTOR told me to come here to quiet my nerves.

• Like 2

Originally it was because I loved TCM and wanted to communicate with others who watched the station and to talk about films. But I enjoy co-mingling with my TCM friends here too. (although you have to take the good with the bad!!!)

• Like 5

These boards are a nicely controlled form of a live chat room. Here, we're as close to chatting live as we can be without actually entering the chat room. When everyone gathers for their daily feeding, the static responses are nearly instantaneous.

Other message boards and forums.. you'll be lucky to get a reply to a post in less than 4 weeks.

.. that, and my doctor told me to come here to quiet my nerves.

I like your answer, Kid.  For me, it's as much about the people here as the common interest.  Aside from learning a lot from others, I really do like a lot of the "personalities" here.  This message board is a social diversion for me, although it's a short part of my day.  I agree with you, there's a lot of activity here.  I've "tried" another board once but I got lost in the weeds, it was so quiet.

As for your doctor's advice, I'd seek a second opinion.  Shop around, lol!

• Like 2

But I enjoy co-mingling with my TCM friends here too. (although you have to take the good with the bad!!!)

Me too, Hibi.  And it goes without saying that I enjoy your posts immensely.  ;)

Likewise.

Its mainly due to  knowing and enjoying the company of some of the old regulars here that I've stuck with this site so long. (Many have come and gone over the years) Alas, the boards are not as active as they used to be, but it's a habit I can't break...

• Like 4

I enjoy the give.and take, seeing information shared by others, and.sharing.some.myself. I don't get to be on here as often as.I'd.like, but it isn't as interesting as it used to be, generally speaking. So it's not as.compelling as.it once.was. But like.a.moth to a.flame......

• Like 3

I was forced by employer. 

A friend made arrangements for me to come to this country. He then became my employer. I was once quite fluent in speaking: English and I regained the art quickly so there were few misunderstandings. I was competent in reading: English and often read plays and books in: English and so adapted well to doing it full-time. I was minimal at writing: English when taught it and had no cause to practice it in many decades. My employer found that I was avoiding writing in: English and so demanded that I join this forum so that I would have need to write each day. It was his belief that I would become better by having such practice. He choose this forum because watching movies has at all times been significant part of my life.

• Like 4

I was forced by employer. 

A friend made arrangements for me to come to this country. He then became my employer. I was once quite fluent in speaking: English and I regained the art quickly so there were few misunderstandings. I was competent in reading: English and often read plays and books in: English and so adapted well to doing it full-time. I was minimal at writing: English when taught it and had no cause to practice it in many decades. My employer found that I was avoiding writing in: English and so demanded that I join this forum so that I would have need to write each day. It was his belief that I would become better by having such practice. He choose this forum because watching movies has at all times been significant part of my life.

And the nicer part of this board is that it isn't overrun with trolls.  There are some skirmishes now and then but people here usually avoid conflict.

• Like 4

I came for the waters but was misinformed, and decided to stick around anyway.

(...and because only YOU people would catch this reference)

;) 

• Like 9

I came for the waters.

(...but was misinformed, and decided to stick around anyway) 

I know it's obvious to everyone else, but is this from CASABLANCA? (not one of my favorite films)

I know it's obvious to everyone else, but is this from CASABLANCA? (not one of my favorite films)

Yep, it is. Bogart says it to Rains after the latter asks him how he ended up there.

(...although with all the OTHER succinctly put and pithy lines in that one, for the life o' me, I can't understand why it's NOT one of your favorites, DGF???...as it would seem to be right up your alley)

Yep, it is. Bogart says it to Rains after the latter asks him how he ended up there.

(...although with all the OTHER succinctly put and pithy lines in that one, for the life o' me, I can't understand why it's NOT one of your favorites, DGF???...as it would seem to be right up your alley)

I could have done better. :)

• Like 1

I could have done better. :)

YEAH?! Well, I dunno, ol' buddy.

(...seems to me a line like, "We'll always have Philadelphia", doesn't quite have the same ring to it somehow!)

• Like 2

YEAH?! Well, I dunno, ol' buddy.

(...seems to me a line like, "We'll always have Philadelphia", doesn't quite have the same ring to it somehow!)

"We'll always have Philly" has better rhythm.

Yeah, maybe.

(...especially I suppose if you'd have Bogie and Bergman reminiscing about a cheesesteak they once shared, huh)

Yeah, maybe.

(...especially I suppose if you'd have Bogie and Bergman reminiscing about a cheesesteak they once shared, huh)

The response would be "You can keep Philly".

The response would be "You can keep Philly".

Okay, yeah, I suppose that might work in your reworking of this story.

Although I gotta say that doesn't sound very romantic.

(...well, UNLESS of course you could ALSO reference "Altoona PA" somehow....and a place I hear that is just LOADED with romantic settings...George Burns was reportedly infatuated with the place anyway)

• Like 1

I came for the waters but was misinformed, and decided to stick around anyway.

(...and because only YOU people would catch this reference)

;)

• I came to be able to share clips like this with people who have seen the film and would post references to it.

• Also, to compare, contrast, debate said films. Even meet those who disliked them and find out why. Maybe they will enlighten me to an aspect I hadn't noticed before.

• And to also play what if games. Imagine we could remake the movies or imagine if things went a different direction. 

• And most importantly, to pretend I actually have some influence upon what TCM shows and doesn't show. Haha, silly me  :P
  • Like 6

"To Have and To Have Not"  was moved to San Diego and renamed "The Breaking Point"

Anything is possible. And studios love remakes...