EugeniaH

What Brings You to This Site?

212 posts in this topic

"To Have and To Have Not"  was moved to San Diego and renamed "The Breaking Point"

Anything is possible. And studios love remakes...

The Breaking Point is a lot more 'true' to the Hemingway short story then the WWII propaganda \ Bogie - Bacall version.   Therefore IMO it isn't a remake of To Have and Have Not.   Instead To Have and Have Not is mostly an original work that used just a few of the plot points found in the short story.

In the short story,  the location was Key West Florida.   To me San Diego is more like Key West then Martinique is.   Making the lead character a foreigner in a foreign country was a major change.   

Having been a member here in TCM Message Board Paradise for almost five years and in getting to know the other "regulars" here (as much as one can online, anyway), I started to wonder, what brings everyone here? It has to be about more than just love of film.

If you like this board better than other sites, why? Is it for the sense of community, to have a 'give and take' with this particular group? Are you here because you enjoy the personalities of other posters? Or are you someone who likes to start threads for discussion?

Eugenia-- great idea for a thread, but you couldn't be more wrong about me.

I came for the old movies and movie stars. I came to play the quizzes and to talk about Classic Movies.

I have a lot of interests so I don't mind talking about those as well, but I wouldn't be on this website except for Classic Films.

I'm not interested in Facebook type websites at all.

It would be my opinion that if the membership did not have a fair amount of intelligence, they wouldn't be interested in Classic Films or cinema to begin with.

To me being on Facebook is like just like going to WalMart and start talking to anybody that I'd run into.

Or standing in front of Kroger's and just expecting any passerby to have anything in common with me or to be astute.

Facebook and those kind of websites have anybody and everybody on them without any filters-- the only reason I would want to do that would be if I was running for public office or selling something.

I think this gene pool is on a very high level and incisive because they're interested in something artistic and arcane.

All and all--A Very Cool Group of People.

• Like 9

And the nicer part of this board is that it isn't overrun with trolls.  There are some skirmishes now and then but people here usually avoid conflict.

Yes, we do have to put up with the occasional Barbara Stanwyck hater (ha ha),  but generally folks are civil.

I come here because I love studio-era movies and I have learned a lot about the films, actors, directors etc... from folks here. 

There are so many movies and only so much time,  so recommendations from people I have come to know with similar taste help me make more informed choices as it relates to 'must see' films.

• Like 7

Yes, we do have to put up with the occasional Barbara Stanwyck hater (ha ha),  but generally folks are civil.

I come here because I love studio-era movies and I have learned a lot about the films, actors, directors etc... from folks here. 

There are so many movies and only so much time,  so recommendations from people I have come to know with similar taste help me make more informed choices as it relates to 'must see' films.

Lol!  Well, for the record, I don't mind people who bash Stanwyck as long as they don't start insulting others for liking her.  And I don't want to start a new skirmish so let's forget I said that.   ;)

Thanks for your post!  I'm enjoying finding out what makes people tick here. 

• Like 1

Eugenia-- great idea for a thread, but you couldn't be more wrong about me.

I came for the old movies and movie stars. I came to play the quizzes and to talk about Classic Movies.

I have a lot of interests so I don't mind talking about those as well, but I wouldn't be on this website except for Classic Films.

I'm not interested in Facebook type websites at all.

It would be my opinion that if the membership did not have a fair amount of intelligence, they wouldn't be interested in Classic Films or cinema to begin with.

To me being on Facebook is like just like going to WalMart and start talking to anybody that I'd run into.

Or standing in front of Kroger's and just expecting any passerby to have anything in common with me or to be astute.

Facebook and those kind of websites have anybody and everybody on them without any filters-- the only reason I would want to do that would be if I was running for public office or selling something.

I think this gene pool is on a very high level and incisive because they're interested in something artistic and arcane.

All and all--A Very Cool Group of People.

Can't add more to that great post!  Thank you!

Yes, people here are intelligent.  In addition to the fact that, and because, they love classic movies.  

• Like 1

I have been reading this site ever since TCM became available in Canada.

I love classic movies and television.

I decided to JOIN the forums after I saw a Friend of mine had joined - Classic Movie Rankings.

• Like 1

I came for the waters but was misinformed, and decided to stick around anyway.

(...and because only YOU people would catch this reference)

;)

LOL!

Yes.  Misinformed about the waters.

LOL.

I also joined letterboxd because of much the same reason I joined this site.

My friend, plus the fact that people review movies.

Loving classic movies and watching TCM for many years, I have been reading the message boards for quite a while.  I enjoy the variety of topics and learning more about the movies and stars that appeal to me.  It's also a lot of fun reading the variety of responses from so many of the members on this site and I wanted to join this great community of people who share a common interest. 

• Like 4

Comparing this place to other film forums I find there are several advantages.

1. I'm not considered conservative or old-fashioned if I think Casablanca is a better movie than The Dark Knight Rises.

2. I'm not considered "too mainstream" if I like comedy, romance, suspense or musical, or stories with a beginning, a middle and an ending - in that order.

3. People on this forum are polite and intelligent, respectful towards others' opinions. It's not a bashing contest like elsewhere on the Internet.

• Like 9

I came in through the back door...

Okay, not really. 

I am one of those "No other sites can help me remember the name of a movie I once saw, but if anyone can do it, folks at TCM can!" Even if you guys can't it's okay... maybe I can help someone else.

I don't watch T.V. anymore these days so I am hoping you all can keep me entertained... 

...or not... if you don't feel up to it you don't have to... 

• Like 2

I'd originally signed up several years ago during a rough time, but somehow wandered away and came back to stay about two years ago.  The lure was the company of people who are passionate about old movies and movie stars, and who wouldn't be perplexed by exclamations of "Not on your tintype!" or "Twenty-three skidoo!"

Beyond that, I became fond of posters and looked forward to what everyone had to say about movies, and a lot more.  It was touching to even get a nickname--thank you, Dargo!  Coming here I thought i knew the movie stars of yesteryear, but quickly learned otherwise after venturing into Trivia where I was astounded by LavenderBlue and others.  It's a special place.

Great topic, Eugenia. :)

• Like 7

What brings me to this site?  I had a question to ask.  So I registered just to ask a question in hopes that someone might have an answer.

Since then I have asked and answered an odd question here or there, and post on threads like Kid Dabb's From Around The Galaxy thread.

I don't come here for attention.  Once in a while I'll come by to see what's going on and maybe make a couple posts here or there.  I don't think I have started more than a handful of threads, and can't remember the last one I started or what it might have been about.  I much prefer to add to or hijack other peoples threads, all in a good natured way of course.

I watch old movies more for the aesthetics than the storyline.

[edit: removed link to a nice video of Michael Law Piccadilly band, since they don't allow their videos to be hotlinked.  In lieu of that, here is a how-to video for replacing the media resin in an old water softener.]

• Like 1

What brings me to this site? Well, to find reviews of the latest Korean electronic gadget, of COURSE!

I've been a poster here since 2006, back when I still had cable & TCM.

While 98% of friends/family/acquaintances are talking about crazy violent action movies they've just seen, I've sat on the sidelines of the conversation. I just really have no interest in that kind of "story". 

This message board mostly contains die hard classic film fans, many who have great knowledge & better memories than I can offer. I really love finding a fellow poster who consistently recommends great movies that may be off my radar (Bogie- I mean YOU) Especially wonderful when you discover a movie outside your typical viewing genre. 

I've always felt this message board was like a big party-there's little cliques of people who gravitate towards certain types of movies, opening conversations.

CONVERSATION about movies, that's really my core answer.

When posts are thoughtful opinions....whether the story, the acting, the "look", the editing, special effects-whatever elements of the movie added to it's detriment or enjoyment -THAT'S the fun of this board.

Then there's the few narcissists who bluster loudly about themselves, saying nothing of substance about movies but trying to impress everyone. They might as well be wearing lampshades, they're so easy to filter out.

• Like 9

(although you have to take the good with the bad!!!)

I prefer to take the beautiful with the bad.
  • Like 2

I'd say I come to this site first out of habit,  but originally because I'm a long time viewer of TCM and have no other people I know of who like to sometimes discuss old or "classic movies", if you will, or share the same level of interest in them.

And my like of "old movies" has several facets or factors.  You know, sentimental reasons, as I grew up watching older movies on TV as a kid(due to "newer" movies back then rarely being shown) and TCM often showing several of those "old favorites" of mine, and I also get to discover other movies I've never seen from those times, and this forum is the one place I know that they get discussed.

Plus I'm somewhat of a history "buff", although no real historian.  But in contrast to several other members of this board, I feel one doesn't have to be a well versed film historian to enjoy the fare of TCM, and can discuss these movies in another level. 

The forum on this site also has several member who provide interesting info, and can deliver their thoughts with a candor and humor that's lacking in other forums I'm a member of.  But of course, as in those other forums there are some in here who seem to come in just to "show off" their alleged knowledge, and seem to feel others here should bow down and defer to their "prodigiousness" (if indeed that is a word).  And then some who try to come off as some sort of film expert by constantly dropping obscure names of largely unknown foreign film makers as if we're all to be impressed.

But, the bulk of the membership here are interesting and likeable people, so they more than make up for all the rest.  :)

Sepiatone

• Like 6

Thanks, everyone. I wish I had time to respond to all these newer, well thought out posts, but for now I wanted to add something that just came to mind.

Classic movies for many members on this site in particular are a serious business. For example, sometime back I started shopping for a new TV, and wanted opinions. I could have posted a question to an electronics site, or asked a salesman. Instead I started a thread on the board, because I figured that this bunch must also analyze the best screens to watch their old movies on. ;)

I wasn't disappointed. MovieCollectorOH gave me great, detailed advice that helped me a lot (and thank you, again, MCO!).

And maybe there are also rabid buffs on a site like Nitrateville, but the people who draw me here aren't there. So there's the entertainment value as well. :)

• Like 1

I'd say I come to this site first out of habit,  but originally because I'm a long time viewer of TCM and have no other people I know of who like to sometimes discuss old or "classic movies", if you will, or share the same level of interest in them.

And my like of "old movies" has several facets or factors.  You know, sentimental reasons, as I grew up watching older movies on TV as a kid(due to "newer" movies back then rarely being shown) and TCM often showing several of those "old favorites" of mine, and I also get to discover other movies I've never seen from those times, and this forum is the one place I know that they get discussed.

Plus I'm somewhat of a history "buff", although no real historian.  But in contrast to several other members of this board, I feel one doesn't have to be a well versed film historian to enjoy the fare of TCM, and can discuss these movies in another level. 

The forum on this site also has several member who provide interesting info, and can deliver their thoughts with a candor and humor that's lacking in other forums I'm a member of.  But of course, as in those other forums there are some in here who seem to come in just to "show off" their alleged knowledge, and seem to feel others here should bow down and defer to their "prodigiousness" (if indeed that is a word).  And then some who try to come off as some sort of film expert by constantly dropping obscure names of largely unknown foreign film makers as if we're all to be impressed.

But, the bulk of the membership here are interesting and likeable people, so they more than make up for all the rest.  :)

Sepiatone

Out of all sites which discuss films, classic or otherwise, this one has got to be the most fun.

• Like 3

Loving classic movies and watching TCM for many years, I have been reading the message boards for quite a while.  I enjoy the variety of topics and learning more about the movies and stars that appeal to me.  It's also a lot of fun reading the variety of responses from so many of the members on this site and I wanted to join this great community of people who share a common interest. 

Welcome to the board! :)

• Like 2

I came in through the back door...

Okay, not really. 

I am one of those "No other sites can help me remember the name of a movie I once saw, but if anyone can do it, folks at TCM can!" Even if you guys can't it's okay... maybe I can help someone else.

I don't watch T.V. anymore these days so I am hoping you all can keep me entertained... 

...or not... if you don't feel up to it you don't have to...

No kidding. I'm always amazed when someone is trying to find information, but can only say something like, "There's a glass on the table, and the woman dies." Five minutes later someone comes back with title, year, cast, director, and the funny thing that happened on the fourth day of shooting!

Btw, I don't have cable at home, either. Just old movies and shows on dvd. ;)

So, I need to run errands, and it's amazing the way this board sucks me in, lol...

• Like 4

I'd originally signed up several years ago during a rough time, but somehow wandered away and came back to stay about two years ago.  The lure was the company of people who are passionate about old movies and movie stars, and who wouldn't be perplexed by exclamations of "Not on your tintype!" or "Twenty-three skidoo!"

Beyond that, I became fond of posters and looked forward to what everyone had to say about movies, and a lot more.  It was touching to even get a nickname--thank you, Dargo!  Coming here I thought i knew the movie stars of yesteryear, but quickly learned otherwise after venturing into Trivia where I was astounded by LavenderBlue and others.  It's a special place.

Great topic, Eugenia. :)

I feel I should know this, but I don't....What's the nickname Dargo christened you with, GD ?

• Like 1

Sepiatone

Well, I hope people realize I am a fan of  specific artists  and have knowledge of them.  Others I know by reading other people's comments.

For example, It was Lavenderblue who told me the name of the actor who played the Bartender in Gilda. That is a favourite film of mine, but had never figured out his name. This was in another thread.

AS for sounding pedantic, I have been known to do that, but usually on other sites.

Certainly, if I were to be host on this channel, I would need to know a LOT of information about everyone in the business to talk in front of the camera about them.

I

I agree. 

Nice thread idea, Eugenia.

Hmm. When I first started posting here, it was because I had recently discovered and fallen in love with TCM.  A television station after my own heart,... non-stop old movies- sans commercials !  

I don't count the promotions, shorts, mini-features on a particular star or director, or even their "infomercials" for their wine club ( ! )  as commercials. I kind of enjoy them.

Anyway, after a couple of years of TCM love, I was bursting with the desire to talk about it and the films it shows with other similar-minded people. I think it was because of some "ad" (but hey, they don't show commercials !) on TCM about this website that I found out about it. I don't think they show that promo anymore.

I really liked the idea of in-depth discussion with other movie-lovers about films.  Sometimes we still get that, but the site seems to have morphed a bit into a more general kind of movie conversation board. But that's ok.

I guess I just got sort of addicted to the TCM message boards, especially after I made friends ( in an internet sort of way) here. Plus, as others have said, the site can be quite fun, and I've had a lot of laughs participating here.

Also, it's the only "social media" site I go on. I don't do Facebook, Twitter, or any of the thousand other social media "platforms" on the internet. Just this  and email.  I get any need for a "social" internet fix from this site, don't have time for any other.

It can definitely become addictive !  And a bit of a time vampire.  I've logged on here with the intention of spending half an hour, just to check a couple of threads I'm following, and have ended up checking the time to see that it's two hours later !  Time flies....you know the rest.

• Like 4