EugeniaH

What Brings You to This Site?

212 posts in this topic

What's the nickname Dargo christened you with, GD ?

I wonder if he means "gold-digger"... or that other well-known word.

--Glenda Farrell, Girl Missing

• Like 1

All I remember is entering a portal behind a file cabinet at work and getting thrust down a tunnel which was supposed to drop me off on the New Jersey turnpike and instead...I ended up here!

I still don't see anyone who looks like John Malkovich?

• Like 2

Great post, misswonderly.

There's definitely something here for classic film lovers of all stripes. There are some with a lot of knowledge (kudos to all who don't try to lord it over everyone else), and others who are students in progress. People who make mistakes aren't laughed off the board, and if an idea doesn't take off, it just quietly disappears.

It's not a perfect place, but here we are. To its credit, special mention must be made of the fact that the hotbed of political excitement known as the Off Topics forum hasn't yet burst into flames, although at times I can smell the smoke, lol.

• Like 3

It can definitely become addictive ! And a bit of a time vampire. I've logged on here with the intention of spending half an hour, just to check a couple of threads I'm following, and have ended up checking the time to see that it's two hours later ! Time flies....you know the rest.

Tell me about it... I have one eye on the clock because I need to pick someone up soon, and if I'm not careful I could leave her stranded. ;)

• Like 2

There's something I want to say, and this thread seems like a good place to say it. I'm in full confessional mode today.

A lot of people on this site - in fact, my impression is most people on this site - say one of the reasons they come here is for information  and to learn from other posters. To learn. (About movies and movie history, presumeably.)

I don't come here for that, and never have. This is why I said above that I'm feeling "confessional", because it feels like a confession, something I should be vaguely ashamed of, that I don't care about "learning" anything on this site.

The vast majority of you almost all talk about how it's a good place to learn from other posters. Please don't misunderstand, I fully agree that there are many well-informed and knowledgeable posters here, who have much to share with others. And I respect them.

But I don't really care about "learning" as such. I have a ton of books about movies, on just about every topic. Anything I wanted to find out about, I could refer to one of them. 

I'm not saying I'm so knowledgeable, I have no need to learn from others. Gawd knows I am a complete ignoramous about movies and movie history in many ways. But "learning" is so not the reason I come to this site.

I feel kind of odd about this, because I think I'm the only person who doesn't come here to learn. Now, that's not to say that I don't appreciate suggestions from fellow posters about other films I might be interested in. Nor does it mean I don't enjoy reading a post about a movie, director, genre, whatever, that I was unaware of before. I enjoy people sharing what they know about these things. 

But for me, "learning" is a tiny part of why I come here. It's more about sharing ideas about films, and having fun conversations about them. Except that I suppose we "learn" something every time we interact with others, I don't really consider that learning, not in the knowledge-acquiring way that most people mean.

I'd rather just hear another poster's feelings and ideas about a film they've watched, why they liked or disliked it ( and you don't have to be an "expert" to do that) and have - if possible- a wide-spread discussion about it, hopefully with a lot of board members chiming in. I'm much more interested in  my fellow posters' personal ideas and impressions about movies than* their book-larnin' knowledge about them. 

I think people associate "learning" with being virtuous; if you learn something when you come here, then you've kind of justified the time spent. But I am lazy, and not virtuous; if I want to acquire that kind of information, I can refer to my books, the internet (oh, we all know how reliable that is), or enrol in a course. (If I could afford it....)

I just want to have fun.

edit: * When I saw this post in a quote, I realized I'd used "thEn" instead of thAn". I am duelly  embarrassed about this, and have fixed it. But I wanted to confess the mistake first, and not try and hide it. I know better thAn to try and sneak past such an error on these boards. 

• Like 7

There's something I want to say, and this thread seems like a good place to say it. I'm in full confessional mode today.

A lot of people on this site - in fact, my impression is most people on this site - say one of the reasons they come here is for information  and to learn from other posters. To learn. (About movies and movie history, presumeably.)

I don't come here for that, and never have. This is why I said above that I'm feeling "confessional", because it feels like a confession, something I should be vaguely ashamed of, that I don't care about "learning" anything on this site.

The vast majority of you almost all talk about how it's a good place to learn from other posters. Please don't misunderstand, I fully agree that there are many well-informed and knowledgeable posters here, who have much to share with others. And I respect them.

But I don't really care about "learning" as such. I have a ton of books about movies, on just about every topic. Anything I wanted to find out about, I could refer to one of them. 

I'm not saying I'm so knowledgeable, I have no need to learn from others. Gawd knows I am a complete ignoramous about movies and movie history in many ways. But "learning" is so not the reason I come to this site.

I feel kind of odd about this, because I think I'm the only person who doesn't come here to learn. Now, that's not to say that I don't appreciate suggestions from fellow posters about other films I might be interested in. Nor does it mean I don't enjoy reading a post about a movie, director, genre, whatever, that I was unaware of before. I enjoy people sharing what they know about these things. 

But for me, "learning" is a tiny part of why I come here. It's more about sharing ideas about films, and having fun conversations about them. Except that I suppose we "learn" something every time we interact with others, I don't really consider that learning, not in the knowledge-acquiring way that most people mean.

I'd rather just hear another poster's feelings and ideas about a film they've watched, why they liked or disliked it ( and you don't have to be an "expert" to do that) and have - if possible- a wide-spread discussion about it, hopefully with a lot of board members chiming in. I'm much more interested in  my fellow posters' personal ideas and impressions about movies then their book-larnin' knowledge about them. 

I think people associate "learning" with being virtuous; if you learn something when you come here, then you've kind of justified the time spent. But I am lazy, and not virtuous; if I want to acquire that kind of information, I can refer to my books, the internet (oh, we all know how reliable that is), or enrol in a course. (If I could afford it....)

I just want to have fun.

You made it just within your 10 paragraph limit. That was a close one.

Pie, anyone?

8s5o0hN.jpg

• Like 1

...I just want to have fun.

So, you and Cindi, eh MissW?! Lauper, that is.   ;)

Yeah, I hear ya. I pretty much feel the same way, and which by now and after some five years of being a regular around these here parts is probably well apparent to most.

Yep, it's always great when you happen to learn some previously unknown to you little cinema related factoids and courtesy of some of the other nice folks around here with a seeming vast knowledge of this subject, but that kind'a thing IS pretty much just fortuitous "side benefit" when it happens, and so I pretty much come here to "have fun" also, and just as you stated your own primarily motivations were for frequenting these boards. 

(...oh, and to answer your earlier question...I believe our friend TheGayDivorcee was earlier referencing the thought that I might have been the first to call her "GayD" when she first arrived)

• Like 5

I'd rather just hear another poster's feelings and ideas about a film they've watched, why they liked or disliked it ( and you don't have to be an "expert" to do that) and have - if possible- a wide-spread discussion about it, hopefully with a lot of board members chiming in. I'm much more interested in  my fellow posters' personal ideas and impressions about movies then their book-larnin' knowledge about them. 

I just want to have fun.

If it makes you feel any better, Miss Wonderly I don't come here to learn either.

Like you I have scads of books on movies and have spent mega time looking up or reading volumes on most movies so I don't really need to learn anything per se. I think of the word "learn" in the meaning of getting new facts about something.

That is not to say that as by product, that I don't occasionally "learn" new things here, but mostly I come just to hear other people's opinions and takes on films. How they might view it differently or see it from another angle.

I think I am a auto-motivated learner and have always incessantly researched most anything that I am interested in, which is why I don't feel I need this joint as a primer, but more of as a coffee shop or lounge where movie buffs say interesting things about movies and are entertaining in ways the general public could never be.

Movie buffs here make jokes that only an insider could appreciate, and that's why it is fun to read their posts.

Hey, Miss Wonderly the priest left the confessional after your time with him and said you forgot to close the screen inside so you need to say two more Hail Marys. I got no penance since I told him I was at Lourdes last month visiting Bernadette's crypt and also made a novena last week.

• Like 4

Oh, I guess you haven't heard, Kid.

Ya see, much like those "Carbon Credits" which big industry corporations can sell to other large concerns which have gone unused, the TCM board members can now do just the same and a process which has been given the name "Paragraph Credits".

And so, because I hear MissW has purchased a sizable chunk of those from DGF, she didn't come close to exceeding her new limit with that last posting of hers.

(...like I said..."I come here to have fun too") ;)

LOL

• Like 1

Oh, I guess you haven't heard, Kid.

Ya see, much like those "Carbon Credits" which big industry corporations can sell to other large concerns which have gone unused, the TCM board members can now do just the same and a process which has been given the name "Paragraph Credits".

And so, because I hear MissW has purchased a sizable chunk of those from DGF, she didn't come close to exceeding her new limit with that last posting of hers.

(...like I said..."I come here to have fun too") ;)

LOL

Dargo, I thought you came here looking for people to prove your claim that you are the illegitimate son of Charles Coburn.

Fess up!

And don't say you are the illegitimate son of Fess Parker. See, I now can even prognosticate your potential humorous asides that you grace us with.

Or rather, with no ending preposition, that should be...that with which we here at TCM are graced in your plenitude and generosity. Whew, that was a mouthful!

• Like 2

...And don't say you are the illegitimate son of Fess Parker. 

Nope, the closest to that I could ever claim was once being the proud owner of an official Davy Crockett coonskin cap.

But then again, what young red-blooded American boy born in the early-'50s couldn't also claim such a thing, right?! ;)

(..."King of the wild frontier")

• Like 1

I'd rather just hear another poster's feelings and ideas about a film they've watched, why they liked or disliked it ( and you don't have to be an "expert" to do that) and have - if possible- a wide-spread discussion about it, hopefully with a lot of board members chiming in. I'm much more interested in  my fellow posters' personal ideas and impressions about movies than* their book-larnin' knowledge about them. 

I just want to have fun.

edit: * When I saw this post in a quote, I realized I'd used "thEn" instead of thAn". I am duelly  embarrassed about this, and have fixed it. But I wanted to confess the mistake first, and not try and hide it. I know better thAn to try and sneak past such an error on these boards. 

Fun is great too. Fun is always great.

As for confessional, I must confess that my cat would prefer that I spend more time with him.

AS yes, when I accidently post THAN instead on THEN....

I must confess too, that well, I long-winded.

My favourite posts to do is to rewrite lyrics on the spam fairy thread to reference spam.

Nope, the closest to that I could ever claim was once being the proud owner of an official Davy Crockett coonskin cap.

But then again, what young red-blooded American boy born in the early-'50s couldn't also claim such a thing, right?! ;)

(..."King of the wild frontier")

Dargo, did you kill yourself a "bar" when you were only three?

I'm doing the phonetic spelling!

"Born on a mountain top in Tennessee, 

Greenest state in the land of the free. 

Raised in the woods so's he knew every tree, 

Killed him a bear when he was only three. 

Davy, Davy Crockett King of the Wild Frontier. 

Fought single handed through the Injun war, 

Till the Creeks was whipped and peace was restored. 

And while he was handling this risky chore, 

Made himself a legend, forevermore. 

Davy, Davy Crockett the man who don't know fear. 

He went of to Congress and served a spell 

Fixin' up the government and laws as well. 

Took over Washington, I heard tell, 

And patched up the crack in the Liberty Bell. 

Davy, Davy Crockett, seein' his duty clear. 

When he come home, his politickin' was done, 

While the western march had just begun. 

So he packed his gear, and his trusty gun 

And let out a grinnin' to follow the sun. 

Davy, Davy Crockett, Leadin the Pioneer."

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/davycrockettlyrics.html

• Like 3

The "Summer of Darkness" brought me to this site--I wasn't in the class, but the programming was a type of class by itself.

The people I met keep me coming back.  I am and have long been a classic movie fan.  This is easily the most enjoyable movie board I've run across.  People keep things polite, on target (for the most part), respectful of each others' opinions.  I've always enjoyed the Trivia forum, whether I'm correct or not.

Really, the site is a perfect (for me) mix of socializing and informal learning.  By this, I mean  people's recommendations, opinions about movies, posted movie reviews/opinions.  I have seen some great movies thanks to peoples' suggestions; to name two, "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (1928) and "Just Tell Me What You Want" (1980)--respectively, thanks go to EugeniaH and SansFin.

The more I learn, the more there is to learn,I find--if that makes sense.

• Like 6

Pie, anyone?

At first, when I read your first sentence here, I thought you'd turned into DownGoesFrazer.

sorry, I'm missing the pie reference. Humble? American?  Chart?  

• Like 1

At first, when I read your first sentence here, I thought you'd turned into DownGoesFrazer.

Maybe it's a reference to "Twin Peaks"?

Then he should have added, " and a cup of joe". 

Damn fine coffee they serve here at the TCM Automat, Miss Wonderly!

Gotta go, my log says we have to move on now since the coup is beginning.

• Like 1

Isn't this the Olympic Trials for Competitive Movieviewing?

Yeah, that's why I had to find some place to compete.  

(The fact that it's now one of the ONLY places is another issue I wanted to tilt against.)

• Like 2

Really, the site is a perfect (for me) mix of socializing and informal learning.  By this, I mean  people's recommendations, opinions about movies, posted movie reviews/opinions.  I have seen some great movies thanks to peoples' suggestions; to name two, "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (1928) and "Just Tell Me What You Want" (1980)--respectively, thanks go to EugeniaH and SansFin.

The more I learn, the more there is to learn,I find--if that makes sense.

I'm glad, filmlover. I've come to appreciate the talents of Linda Darnell and Tyrone Power thanks to Arturo and lavenderblue. And thanks especially to lav for the "Leave Her to Heaven" recommendation. Two thumbs up!

• Like 3

Certainly no dis towards you, miss w.

You see, I'm doing the catering for this thread and we seemed to be at the stage for desert of some sort. You may have enjoyed hors d'oeuvres with wine earlier.

No double entendre, I assure you.

• Like 4

Damn fine coffee they serve here at the TCM Automat, Miss Wonderly!

Gotta go, my log says we have to move on now since the coup is beginning.

The Turkish one? 

• Like 2

Misswonderly: a bit of a time vampire.

Haha! Great term!

Sepia said: there are some in here who seem to come in just to "show off" their alleged knowledge, and seem to feel others here should bow down and defer to (them)  And then some who try to come off as some sort of film expert by constantly dropping obscure names of largely unknown foreign film makers as if we're all to be impressed.

And what's really funny, is the real film historians on this board NEVER post that way. They are low key and unless you knew their screen names, you'd never recognise them.

• Like 3