Sign in to follow this  
LawrenceA

Lights Out (2016)

2 posts in this topic

I saw this new horror film in the theater today, mainly just to get out of the house. It runs a short 81 minutes, but that seemed long enough. The plot revolves around a family whose members are being menaced by some sort of entity that can only exist in the darkness. They run through many light/dark scenarios in the movie, from heavy curtains blocking sunlight, lamps missing bulbs, inconvenient power outages, candle light, black light, blinking red signage, etc. There are some well done moments that build natural suspense, but all too often it falls back on booming sound effects and music stings to illicit jump-scares. 

The performances are good, anchored by Teresa Palmer as the jaded 20-something daughter who had moved out of the house due to earlier, pre-film problems. Maria Bello is good as the mentally questionable mother, and busy actor Billy Burke gets a scene in the beginning. Gabriel Bateman as the little brother, and Alexander DiPersia as the sympathetic boyfriend, are also both good.

The nature of the menace is more than a little muddled, but I won't go into detail, to avoid spoilers. This was directed by newcomer David F. Sandberg (based on his short film), and is produced by James Wan (The Conjuring, among others), and it doesn't stray too far from the by-now over-stretched formula. It's nothing groundbreaking, but for horror fans, you've seen worse.

I give it a 6/10.

lightsout-176165-640x320.png.jpgwp-1459062293974.jpeg

• Like 3

I saw this new horror film in the theater today, mainly just to get out of the house. It runs a short 81 minutes, but that seemed long enough. The plot revolves around a family whose members are being menaced by some sort of entity that can only exist in the darkness. They run through many light/dark scenarios in the movie, from heavy curtains blocking sunlight, lamps missing bulbs, inconvenient power outages, candle light, black light, blinking red signage, etc. There are some well done moments that build natural suspense, but all too often it falls back on booming sound effects and music stings to illicit jump-scares. 

The performances are good, anchored by Teresa Palmer as the jaded 20-something daughter who had moved out of the house due to earlier, pre-film problems. Maria Bello is good as the mentally questionable mother, and busy actor Billy Burke gets a scene in the beginning. Gabriel Bateman as the little brother, and Alexander DiPersia as the sympathetic boyfriend, are also both good.

The nature of the menace is more than a little muddled, but I won't go into detail, to avoid spoilers. This was directed by newcomer David F. Sandberg (based on his short film), and is produced by James Wan (The Conjuring, among others), and it doesn't stray too far from the by-now over-stretched formula. It's nothing groundbreaking, but for horror fans, you've seen worse.

I give it a 6/10.

lightsout-176165-640x320.png.jpgwp-1459062293974.jpeg

I'll have to check it out