Sign in to follow this  
bobhopefan1940

[i]Life[/i], Feb. 21st 1944

30 posts in this topic

Hey All!

I love picking up 30's and 40's magazines, some have really great photos from the era in them. Does anyone else collect these? I can't get enough of them! On a recent trip I found this Life mag, which had some very nice celeb advertisements and news through out the pages. These were two of my favorites... The first is of Rita Hayworth. From Cover Girl, this pic was from the "Put Me to the Test" number. I love the color. The second is an editorial posting of Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra. Take note of the caption, which read: "Apparently Frank thinks Bing's pipe doesn't smell so good. Some people think crooning doesn't either." >>>>>>>>>>>

Copyofhayworth.jpg

Copyofbingsinatra.jpg

Hi, bobhopefan. I love old magazines! I have several Life issues, two of which have Ginger Rogers on the cover. One is from 1942, and she's in overalls and has a fishing rod. Adorable! :)

I use to stockpile old issues of Photoplay and other movie magazines, but not so much anymore since I've begun collecting movie posters. EBay is a very good source for old magazines with movie stars on the covers ... but a dangerous one, since it's so tempting to buy just everything, everything!!! :)

Another good source of old magazines with pictures and/or stories about movie stars seems to be flea markets. I have gone to several flea markets "just to look" and come out with stacks of magazines!!!

Some names of movie magazines: Screenland, Screen Book, Pictuergoer, Movie Story, Photoplay:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

How wonderful!

Thanks so much, pintorini! Those are some great covers! :) I wish I could see that Ginger Rogers mag... I'm such a fan of hers. She had the most beautiful eyes! I'm really new to the whole collecting thing (never been much on collecting anything!) but this I can really get excited about!

I love eBay already so this should be easy for me... and I already know about the dangers of buying EVERYTHING!

Thanks again for the info ;) I'll remember those magazine names...

Your Friend,

bhf1940

Yay!!! Your thread has motivated me to go through my collections and make some order out of the chaos ... :D

Here is what the 1942 Ginger Rogers cover looks like:

Had to "borrow" the picture from eBay since I haven't found my copy yet ...

I think I also have some other copies of Life with movie stars on them, including one with Hedy Lamarr. Fun!

pintorini:

That my threads could motivate anyone to do anything is a pleasure in itself! ;) That (Rogers) is wonderful... When I see one of these magazines my heart skips a beat because I always want to know what's inside. Oh, if I go to eBay I think I'll be broke by tomorrow!

I also got a few 78 rpm singles and some music sheets of Bing's... I'm going to be looking out for the flea markets, though. How long have you been collecting these magazines, pintorini?

> How long have you been collecting

> these magazines, pintorini?

Only a few years. But I've amassed quite a pile between my flea market trips and eBay sprees! To read all of them would take years and years and years ... I have to try not to think about all the fascinating historic tidbits that might be buried in them, because I'd never do anything else, otherwise. Maybe when I take my next vacation I'll go by car and bring some of them along ... wrapped carefully in plastic, of course. :)

I've also collected photographs of movie stars, movie star ads, and of course movie posters. Movie star ads (most of which were cut from magazines) can be really fun curiosities. Movie stars from the thirties, forties, and fifties plugged everything from tooth powder to laundry soap to colas to cars ... :) These are another fun thing that can be found at many flea markets and antique malls.

Thanks for sharing those pics!! I love magazines from those times---unfortunately, I blast my budget enough on dvds to go into buying them, but anytime I have the chance to look at them I fairly drool. Even the advertisments are cool, aren't they? I especially love the way they would hand-tint photos or even use hand-drawn illustrations. If they would set up a website that contained magazines like Life and Look---scanned in their complete form---I would be in heaven.

pintorini and Miss G.:

Those are great! I love the Lipton tea one... There are alot of great advertisements in these magazines. I have one in here for tooth powder and it's sponsored by Claudette Colbert... Shows her in three stages, and the last of which grinning ear to ear of course!

I went on eBay yesterday and wow do they have alot of mags on there! I had to narrow my search to just a few people, like Bing Crosby. I've started collecting his sheet music from the period just for the photographs on the covers. Isn't this stuff grand?

bhf1940

Hi!

Have either of you seen the books: All American Ads of the 1930s (and 1940s, 50s & 60s)? They are chock full of reproductions of classic adverts, including many done by movie-stars. I have the 1930s one and love looking at how impossibly elegant everyone appears, whether promoting the latest Cadillac or the newest in kitchen appliances. I think they are out-of-print but may still be found through ebay or other discount booksellers.

> Hi!

> Have either of you seen the books: All American Ads

> of the 1930s (and 1940s, 50s & 60s)?

Hi Missgoddess! I have not seen those, but they sound like just the sort of thing I'd like! :) I will definitely keep my eye out for them on eBay!

Pintorini

Thanks Miss G! Certainly does sound interesting and something I will keep an eye out for as well.

Does anyone collect the old 78 rpm singles? I hear Movie Posters are very popular... And expensive! I would love to have one of My Man Godfrey... I've seen some beautiful ones out there.

I'll never forget when I used to live in L.A. I had this friend who was cleaning out his office and he came across these beautifully mounted movie posters for 1930s movies starring Bette Davis and Mae West. I kept two of them, lugging them all over the world, but when I came to New York I don't know what happened. I either left them in London or they were "lost in transit". It's such a shame because I always wanted to hang them in my dream "home theater" one day. I remember Mae's was "Every Day's A Holiday" and Bette's was for "10th Avenue Girl". How careless of me to lose them.

The only LP records I have are two Sinatra albums I bought in a flea market in London. I don't own a turntable so they've just remained in storage. :)

> Oh wow, I bet those posters would be worth a pretty

> penny, too! Esp. if they were some of the originals

> from the period...

Ooooh ... don't want to break your heart, MissG, but yes, indeed they would! But take heart: maybe you will find more someday. People often find old posters folded in old books, buried under floors, etc., have them restored, and sell them on eBay or through an auction gallery for a pretty penny to suckers like me. That's what happens when things everyone assumed were trash become treasures! :)

Those are fantastic!! Of course, you might guess the Gary Cooper issue is the one I would have committed highway robbery to own.

Hope you don't mind if I jump in here. I have many of Ginger Rogers' magazine covers. Here are the other three LIFE magazines. I was fortunate enough to have her autograph them for me! What a treat.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/grassistant/lifeaug2238.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/grassistant/lifenov551.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/grassistant/lifedec940.jpg

Sorry about the "http" location for looking at the LIFE covers.

Guess I don't know how to get them to show up on the board!

I'm still learning.

I will forward you the same Private Message I sent to another poster with instructions on how to post pics ... (I was happy even for the http links though!!!) :)