Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Natalie Wood as SOTM November 2016

46 posts in this topic

It would be interesting if they made Kirk Douglas the Star of the Month in November, to get a jump on his 100th birthday festivities. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-07-25%2Bat%2B1.48.0

Or else they could pick Fran Ryan. She would've been 100 on November 29th. And she was, after all, a better actress than Bette Davis (at least in Joan Crawford's estimation).

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-07-25%2Bat%2B1.48.1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran_Ryan

Fran Ryan as SOTM? As much as I like the sound of that, I gotta tell ya, that seems unlikely.

I think the far more likely SOTM selection for November 2016 is one of those group SOTM festivals TCM presents every so often. One month a year since 2000 TCM has temporarily suspended their typical comprehensive look at one star's career in order to focus on many star vehicles that are linked by a particular unifying theme.

The previous sixteen examples are:

August 2000: Film Debuts

April 2001: Knighted Actors

October 2002: Final Films

June 2003: TV Actors in Films

July 2004: Stars That Died Before Their Time

January 2005: Canadian Actors

October 2006: Child Stars

September 2007: A Star Is Born

March 2008: Acting Dynasties

April 2009: Funny Ladies

January 2010: Method Actors

July 2011: Singing Cowboys

June 2012: Teen Idols

May 2013: Tough Guys

November 2014: Silent Stars

June 2015: Pin-Up Girls

I'm guessing TCM will continue this tradition this year. So, what might the SOTM theme be in November? My guess is that the focus will be on male actors, given October's Spotlight emphasis on women in film.

I'm guessing TCM will continue this tradition this year. So, what might the SOTM theme be in November? My guess is that the focus will be on male actors, given October's Spotlight emphasis on women in film.

I think you're right-- we haven't had a group SOTM in a while, so we're due for another one.

I was having fun with the possibility of Fran Ryan. Once we know the real SOTM for November, I will rename the thread. :)

• Like 1

Nothing yet on the November schedule. So unless we get some information this afternoon, it will be next week sometime when we find out about the Star of the Month.

The November schedule is not available yet. It's kind of weird knowing who the December Star of the Month is before we know about November. 

Barton just informed me the latest schedule information is now available, and Natalie Wood is TCM's Star of the Month for November 2016. I believe she's been honored before, but it's been awhile. 

I've renamed the thread. I know Fran Ryan fans everywhere are disappointed. LOL

Barton just informed me the latest schedule information is now available, and Natalie Wood is TCM's Star of the Month for November 2016. I believe she's been honored before, but it's been awhile. 

I've renamed the thread. I know Fran Ryan fans everywhere are disappointed. LOL

Wood was SOTM in July 1999 and June 2010,   so she will be one of the few SOTM 3 timers.

• Like 1

Wood was SOTM in July 1999 and June 2010,   so she will be one of the few SOTM 3 timers.

Thanks. And I know she has had at least one Summer Under the Stars day plus birthday tributes.

Natalie made a lot of good films and people like her.

Some interesting things. I like the spotlight on documentaries, even if many of them have been shown before. I'm looking forward to Sherman's March (1986) and Chronicle of a Summer (1961).

I have a few to record on Claude Rains day, and a couple of Jason Robards films.

I'm happy to see Ucho/The Ear (1973) on the list.

At least four TCM Underground titles I haven't seen: The Muthers, Melinda, Punk Vacation, and Killer Party.

The Sorrow and the Pity!  Awesome!

Also The Ascent and Battleship Potemkin.  Wow!  The first two parts of The Battle of Chile!  Also Sans Soleil!  Why do they show Burden of Dreams, but never Fitzcarraldo?

It was his only screen appearance as an actor. He switched to film editing and eventually became an impressive director, earning an Oscar nomination for "The Lion in Winter" (1968).

I wish TCM would show his 1971 film "They Might Be Giants" -- starring George C. Scott and Joanne Woodward -- more often. Since Woodward has Alzheimer's disease, maybe we'll see it in a retrospective of her films someday.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Quote removed per OP request

- comment deleted -

(will not participate in this thread since merged)

Edited by TikiSoo

Since this November will mark the thirty-fifth anniversary of Natalie Wood's death, I can't help but wonder if that played a role in the programmers deciding to honor her again.

If TCM wanted to make this upcoming festival stand out from others, they may invite Wood's daughter, actress Natasha Gregson Wagner, to co-host some of the films with Ben Mankiewicz. I think that this is a strong possibility, in fact, because I recall being most impressed by Gregson Wagner when she introduced a screening of GYPSY (1962) alongside Robert Osborne on TCM last November.

• Like 2

Hasnt Natalie been SOTM before? Not too original.

I'm still waiting for Brando!

Natalie never looked lovelier or was more appealing than in LWTPS. If there's any film character I would have wanted to marry, Natalie's character in this film would have been near the top of the list.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Quote removed per OP request

This is a Good schedule--Some new ones I haven't seen, some I haven't seen in Way too long, and some old favorites.

Nov. 1st--"Storm Warning" (1951)--Ginger Rogers, Doris Day, and Ronald Reagen are excellent in this melodrama about the Klan--a real sleeper.

Nov. 2nd--Burt Lancaster day--not a stinker in the lot--"Brute Force" (1947) is a must see--"South Sea Woman" (1953) is maybe the least known.

Nov. 14th--"Exit Smiling" (1926)--Bea Lillie comedy.  "The Show of Shows" (1929)--Warner Bros. early talkie studio revue--Frank Fay as host gets on my nerves, but there is an early appearance by Myrna Loy in the song "Li-Po-Li".  "On Approval" (1944)--Sound "drawing room" British comedy, again with Bea Lillie.  "Laughing Sinners" (1931)--One of the first teamings of Gable and Crawford.

Nov. 21st--  "The Great Morgan" (1946)--Frank Morgan directs a musical.  Film is made up of outtakes and clips from MGM musicals.  Was never released in U.S.  A must see for me.  The rest of the day is Eleanor Powell musicals.

Nov. 23rd--Marx Bros. day.  At night, "The Sea Around Us" (1952)--won Oscar for Best Documentary.

Since this November will mark the thirty-fifth anniversary of Natalie Wood's death, I can't help but wonder if that played a role in the programmers deciding to honor her again.

If TCM wanted to make this upcoming festival stand out from others, they may invite Wood's daughter, actress Natasha Gregson Wagner, to co-host some of the films with Ben Mankiewicz. I think that this is a strong possibility, in fact, because I recall being most impressed by Gregson Wagner when she introduced a screening of GYPSY (1962) alongside Robert Osborne on TCM last November.

My opinion is mixed about TCM honoring Natalie again. It has nothing to do with Natalie as an actress or what kind of person she was...I'm certainly a fan. But if this is meant to coincide with the anniversary of her death, the circumstances of her drowning are still unclear. 

I do feel some of her other titles might have been selected. They could have actually done a fifth night and scheduled some more premieres.

• Like 1

Hasn't Natalie been SOTM before? 

Twice before-- in 1999 and again in 2010. She also had a day for Summer Under the Stars in 2013.

TCM usually airs her films on her birthday (July 20th each year).

Seems as good a methodology to dole out the months as any other rationale.  I can only sit through Splendor in the Grass once every five years.