Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Natalie Wood as SOTM November 2016

46 posts in this topic

I'm glad that TCM is not pushing her off into the ocean, this is a great schedule.

Really?  :angry:

• Like 1

Now I'm really tempted to post the Grace Kelly/Natalie Wood joke I first heard on a Wall Street trading desk in 1982 but some would undoubtedly find it in poor taste. 

Now I'm really tempted to post the Grace Kelly/Natalie Wood joke I first heard on a Wall Street trading desk in 1982 but some would undoubtedly find it in poor taste. 

Really?  :angry:

The joke, or that you associated with Wall Street traders?

This is one of those cases where I like the person being honored and feel like they deserve it, even though most of her filmography doesn't interest me or consists of films that have been aired about to DEATH.

Ahem...Why yes, WEST SIDE STORY, I AM looking at you.

There is a lot of good stuff in this schedule, for someone who has never watched TCM before and does not know much about Natalie Wood and her films. But these selections, with the exception of CHICKEN EVERY SUNDAY and LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER, are in heavy rotation all year, every year.

This is one of those cases where I like the person being honored and feel like they deserve it, even though most of her filmography doesn't interest me or consists of films that I have seen enough times previously on TCM.

Ahem...WEST SIDE STORY, I AM looking at you.

It would have been better if they aired DRIFTWOOD, a charming family film Natalie Wood did at Republic in the 40s.

Or if they had shown MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET the last week of November, to lead into the holiday season.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-17%2Bat%2B11.00.

Good Stuff:

The Secret Land ***

No Sad Songs for Me ***

Hombre ***

Marie: A True Story ***

The Ear  ***

Fahrenheit 9/11 ***

Exit Smiling ***

The Sorrow and the Pity ****

Grass ***1/2

The Endless Summer ***

Love With the Proper Stranger ***

Nice Girl? ***

Wings (1966) ***

God's Country ***1/2

The Sea Around Us ***

Fantastic Voyage ***1/2

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ***

Best Boy ****

Sherman's March ****

Koyaanisqatsi ****

• Like 2

I'm still waiting for Brando!

LOL. And so many others. Nothing against Natalie, but tired of repeats. We know Dec. will be either Bette or Myrna, so another repeat SOTM performer. Oh well.

LOL. And so many others. Nothing against Natalie, but tired of repeats. We know Dec. will be either Bette or Myrna, so another repeat SOTM performer. Oh well.

The Backlot members have already made their choice and the "winner" is Myrna Loy.

Friday November 4, 2016:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-17%2Bat%2B6.59.0

Saturday November 5, 2016:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-17%2Bat%2B7.03.1

Friday November 11, 2016:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-17%2Bat%2B6.58.3

Saturday November 12, 2016:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-17%2Bat%2B6.58.4

Friday November 18, 2016:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-17%2Bat%2B6.57.4

Saturday November 19, 2016:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-17%2Bat%2B6.57.5

Friday November 25, 2016: 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-17%2Bat%2B6.56.2

Coming on October 11, 2016 from Turner Classic Movies and Running Press, Natalie Wood: Reflections on a Legendary Life, a new biography by Manoah Bowman. The book will feature a foreword by Robert Wagner and an afterward by Robert Redford.

So this festival will surely be a tie-in with TCM's new Wood biography.

• Like 2

Coming on October 11, 2016 from Turner Classic Movies and Running Press, Natalie Wood: Reflections on a Legendary Life, a new biography by Manoah Bowman. The book will feature a foreword by Robert Wagner and an afterward by Robert Redford.

So this festival will surely be a tie-in with TCM's new Wood biography.

Yes, perhaps we can assume the author of the book will be a guest host for some of the evenings when Natalie's films are shown.

• Like 1

Here's a link to Robert Osborne's article on Natalie Wood, which originally appeared in the November 2016 issue of Now Playing magazine: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1270312%7C0/Robert-Osborne-on-Natalie-Wood.html

Osborne shares a warm recollection of his first meeting with Wood in 1965.

The other takeaway is that this series of programming will be co-hosted by two good friends of TCM -- Robert Wagner and Natasha Gregson Wagner, pictured below in 2000.

robert-wagner-b-435.jpg

• Like 2

The Sorrow and the Pity

I can't hear that title without thinking of Woody Allen dragging Diane Keaton to see it over & over. (can't recall which movie that reference was in though)

• Like 1

Thanks for that list of recommendations, AreaMan. I never would have noticed Malle's GOD'S COUNTRY '86 if it wasn't called out.

I'm also going to record 11/24 CHRONICLE OF A SUMMER '85 with PLACE DE REPUBLIQUE and add 11/28's ALWAYS FOR PLEASURE as a travelogue triple feature. I always like seeing how cities have/haven't changed.

I am curious about:

PUNK VACATION (1990)
Punk rockers invade a small town.
Dir: Stanley Lewis Cast:  Sandra Bogan , Stephen Falchi , Roxanne Rogers .
C-88 mins,

KILLER PARTY (1986)

A deranged killer stalks a sorority hazing party.
Dir: William Fruet Cast:  Martin Hewitt , Ralph Seymour , Elaine Wilkes .
C-91 mins,

They could be campy fun time capsules (like FRIGHT NIGHT/R&R HIGH SCHOOL) or simply dreadful bores. If anyone has an opinion, let me know.

As for Natalie Wood movies, TCM shows them pretty regularly. My personal favorites are INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, LOVE WITH A PROPER STRANGER & PENELOPE, but they are somewhat quirky in that 60's way. GYPSY is probably her best film.