Sign in to follow this  
mgm16

Favorite Judy Garland Movies

68 posts in this topic

I have never seen "The Pirate" from start to finish, but I do think I have seen some clips, with Kelly in a pirate ship. It looked like a very colorful production =0)

I've always felt that I COULD GO ON SINGING gave Judy the opportunity to both sound great in her songs, plus act the heck out of the material. The film was plagued with problems, mostly due to Judy; but I find her quite sensitive and moving in it. I recall that the film opened in London, to universal raves; but nobody went to see it. I saw it in a theater with about 5 other people. Still, not as bad as SONG OF NORWAY, where only 2 other people were in the theater; or, LOST HORIZON, where I was alone!

"Summer Stock", for some strange reason, seems to be my favorite Judy movie. "ICGOS" is a very close second and ALL the others rank 3rd. And occasionally, everything's reversed!

Meredith

> Really? So you'd rank The Wizard of Oz third?

> :)

Well, sort of. I mean, I feel that I have to be loyal to WOO and I will always watch it when it's on tv. However, if I had to choose between which dvd to buy - I'd go for Summer Stock.

Meredith

I think Judy was allowed to have a role in Summer Stock that showed true

strength of character. In some ways, it was Dorothy all grown up.

I loved her in Wizard of Oz and Meet Me in St. Louis. Would anyone recommend A Star is Born?

The story of A Star is Born is a bit sad to begin with, at least I found it sad even in the 1937 version... watching it with Judy Garland seems a bit sadder to me because of all the turmoil she herself experienced during her career. I'd say it's not as upbeat and cheerful as many of her MGM musicals, nor as romantic as something like The Clock but if you're a die-hard JG fan you'll probably want to see it at some point.

I dunno. JG was definitely older than 20 when she started experiencing some of the worst trouble of her career. And whatever discipline was required of child actors, it certainly didn't seem to take nearly the same toll on Mickey Rooney, just as an example. So maybe it was just one of those things that affects everybody differently, and sadly for Judy, it was maybe more pressure than she could comfortably bear. :(

Well, but did she really make that many more movies than Mickey Rooney? I don't know, maybe she needed to spend more time getting ready with make-up and clothing, in all honesty I don't know all the details. Only what they did to her to make her look "younger" in WOO and of course that's a bit sad, I don't think she or her parents should have allowed it but maybe they felt under pressure so that she could play the role of Dorothy. :(

My favorites are:

Summer Stock

Wizard Of Oz

Easter Parade

Babes In Arms

The Harvey Girls

The Clock

For Me And My Gal

Meet Me In St. Louis

In The Good Old Summertime

> I loved her in Wizard of Oz and Meet Me in St. Louis.

> Would anyone recommend A Star is Born?

I would most definitely recommend ASIB!! Just the scene where she's singing "The Man That Got Away" makes it all worthwile. Not that the rest of it doesn't.

Meredith