Sign in to follow this  
mgm16

Favorite Judy Garland Movies

68 posts in this topic

Hi judy_fan! :)

Yes, the sketches in Ziegfeld Follies gave us a great opportunity to see many different performers in a variety of situations, I always loved the format when MGM stars are involved! B-)

> So, anybody else looking forward to The Pirate

> and The Ziegfeld Follies tonight during the

> Gene Kelly tribute? B-)

I sure am! I love "The Pirate". Especially "Mack the Black". I remember first seeing it when I was in my early teens and just went wild over that number. I also love the scene where Manuela's breaking up the room(s)! wouldn't that be fun?

Meredith

This musical, together with Yolanda and the Thief, represent some of the most ground-breaking musicals ever made at MGM, and some even consider them to have been to sophisticated to draw in big crowds when they were originally released... I absolutely agree that both have great and unforgettable numbers! :D

Yes, i agree, the numbers that stood out for me were, Judy Garland's (obviously :) ), Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire's, Red Skelton's and Fanny Brice's, it was a truly memorable movie

The following is a public service announcement:

The next Judy Garland picture scheduled on TCM is Easter Parade, which will show on April 8th at 5 pm ET. :)

ahhhh , srry about all those posts everyone, it said there was an error, i assumed it didnt show so i kept trying SORRY

You could tape it, or record it if you have satellite.

Just out of curiosity (and I am totally prepared to be a laughingstock), what is LAX?

> You could tape it, or record it if you have

> satellite.

>

> Just out of curiosity (and I am totally prepared to

> be a laughingstock), what is LAX?

L.A. Int'l Airport.

> > You could tape it, or record it if you have

> > satellite.

> >

> > Just out of curiosity (and I am totally prepared

> to

> > be a laughingstock), what is LAX?

>

>

> L.A. Int'l Airport.

Yep - I'll be at the airport. Oh well.... it's not like I don't know the entire movie by heart, anyway! It's one of my favorites.

Meredith

> Where does the X come in?

The "X" in LAX

Before the 1930s, existing airports used a two-letter abbreviation based on the weather station at the airports. So, at that time, LA served as the designation for Los Angeles International Airport. But, with the rapid growth in the aviation industry, the designations expanded to three letters, and LA became LAX. The letter X does not otherwise have any specific meaning in this identifier. Moreover, the X perhaps indicates a blank letter or empty space in the code. Portland International Airport in Oregon also has a similar code PDX.[5] People today now believe that the "X" stands for exchange as "LAX" is also used for the International Port of Los Angeles, located in San Pedro, CA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_International_Airport