Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

"In the Spotlight"

2,505 posts in this topic

'In the Spotlight' is a new feature that I will be running every few days.

It will be dedicated to those movie stars that are seldom mentioned on the boards and will include supporting and character players.

In the Spotlight: Zachary Scott

zacharyscott.JPG

Zachary Scott (February 24, 1914 ? October 3, 1965) was an American actor, most notable for his roles as villains and "mystery men".

Born in Austin, Texas, he was a distant cousin of both George Washington and Bat Masterson. Scott's father was a physician and his grandfather had been a very successful cattle rancher.

Scott intended to be a doctor like his father, but after attending the University of Texas for a while, he decided to switch to acting. He signed on as a cabin boy on a freighter which took him to England, where he acted in repertory theatre for a while, before he returned to Austin, and began acting in local theater.

Alfred Lunt discovered Scott in Texas and convinced him to move to New York City, where he appeared on Broadway. Jack Warner saw him in a performance, and signed him to appear in a movie, "The Mask of Dimitrios", in 1944.

He appeared the next year in "Mildred Pierce" to much acclaim. In the film, Scott was Joan Crawford's love interest who ends up dead due to an illicit liaison with Crawford's teenager daughter, played by Ann Blyth. During this period, Scott and his first wife Elaine socialized regularly with Angela Lansbury and her first husband, Richard Cromwell. Elaine Scott had met Zachary Scott back in Austin and she made a name for herself behind the scenes on Broadway as stage manager for the original production of "Oklahoma!". The Scotts had one child together.

Zachary Scott enjoyed playing scoundrels and the public did too. Scott went on to star in such movies as "The Southerner" exceptional role, "The Unfaithful", "Cass Timberlaine", "Flamingo Road", "Guilty Bystander", "Wings of Danger", and "Shadow on the Wall", opposite Nancy Davis Reagan and Ann Sothern, etc.

In 1950, Scott was involved in a rafting accident. Also during that year, he divorced his first wife, Elaine, who subsequently married writer John Steinbeck. Possibly as a result of these developments or due to a box-office slump, Scott succumbed to a depression which in turn limited his acting. Since Warner Bros. did not particularly continue to advertise his films, he turned back to the stage, and also appeared on television. During this period Scott remarried and he and his second wife had a child together as well. He moved back to Austin, where he died from a brain tumor at the age of 51.

A theatre center in Austin bears his name. His family has endowed two chairs at the University of Texas's theatre department in his name.

Scott has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Message was edited by: mongo

Nice idea mongo, especially with the picture.

I can see a lot of names being put to familiar faces.

I'll be watching for it.

Hi Mongo,

Great idea and one that will elevate the board back to its former plateau........

Zachary Scott is a fine actor to initiate your series. Easily recognizable but one we can't always put a name to.

Can we nominate anyone we'd like to have profiled? I know you'll pick some good ones anyway....

Larry

Thank you Brian and Larry.

I just learned how to apply pictures to the board and need to perfect the presentation further.

I didn't care for the way all the copy clumped together without spaces, although it wasn't like that before I posted it. I'll get there.

Although I have some stars lined up for future postings, I would be glad to consider some nominees.

Mongo,

First of all, that is one of the best ideas I've heard on here in a long time! I'm excited to look out for who is named in the future.

I just learned how to apply pictures to the board and need to perfect the presentation further.

I didn't care for the way all the copy clumped together without spaces, although it wasn't like that before I posted it. I'll get there.

I have been posting pics for a long time on here and cannot get the text not to clump together. If you come up with a solution, please keep the rest of us posted.

bhf1940

Great stuff, as ever, Mongo. Now I know that I'll have something GOOD to check out on the boards again. Thanks for sharing your imaginative effort with us.

Could you please consider featuring Fay Bainter and Irving Bacon for the future? I don't think that the way that the text sits next to the pic matters, btw.

Top Notch! as always, Mongo... Great Idea.......It's people like you that make this board great.....I won't tell you who to Spotlight....I like Surprises ....

vallo

null

Like everyone else had said that it's a great idea .It's nice to hear about these other movie stars that are seldom mentioned like you have said, Like the picture and the bio on them. Looking forward to reading this post.

again a great post

CHRISTINE

If we're allowed to make requests, then I'll request Moroni Olsen.

mongo, what a wonderful idea! I really like having the picture to go along with the bio. I only knew Zachary Scott from Mildred Pierce; it was great to learn more about him.

Sandy K

Great thread, Mr. Mongo. You didn't ask for requests, but gee, if you're taking them, I'm curious to know more about Alexander D'Arcy, Paul Ralli and Una O'Connor. I bet you never dreamt you'd have an onslaught of requests. You've opened Pandora's box! Thanks in advance for any future posts to put the lesser known characters in the spotlight.

In the Spotlight: Jessie Ralph

jessieralph3.JPG

Jessie Ralph Chambers (November 5, 1864 - May 30, 1944) was a Thickset, homely, plump-faced, matronly American stage and screen actress, best known for her kindly, helpful, sometimes eccentric ladies, in many classic motion pictures.

She was born in Gloucester, Massachusetts, in 1864. She made her acting debut in 1880, at the age of sixteen. She made it to Broadway, where George M. Cohan, of Yankee Doodle Dandy fame, cast her in many of his musicals, but she also excelled at dramatic roles.

Although she made her Hollywood debut in 1916, she only became a permanent Hollywood actress in 1933. She was nearly 70 at this time, so her roles were restricted to those of dumpy old ladies, but her expertise at stealing scenes captured the imagination of cinema-goers of the time.

Her best known roles are in "We Live Again" w/Fredric March, "David Copperfield" as the wonderful Peggotty, "Captain Blood" w/Flynn, "San Francisco" as Mrs. Burley, "Camille" as Greta Garbo's maid, "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney" w/Crawford, and as W.C. Fields' terrifying old battleaxe of a mother-in-law in "The Bank Dick", demonstrating her ability to play both tragic and comic parts.

she starred in 55 movies altogether, 52 of them made between 1933 and 1940. She retired in 1940, after her leg was amputated, and she died 4 years later at the age of 79.

Her husband, Bill Patton (1894-1951), was a bit- part actor in Westerns.

Should mention that grand character actress Jesse Ralph also appeared in silent films, and played a mean spirited Asian in "The Good Earth" (1937).

Profile and photo posted below.

Great stuff (again) Mongo, I just purchased David Copperfield and loved her as Peggotty (wish I had an Aunt like that) also good in Les Mis?rables (1935) as Madame Magloire and 1936's San Francisco.

Love putting a name with the face.....

vallo

Vallo, was the DVD of "David Copperfield" a remastered copy? I'm thinking about getting a copy of the movie, and I would like the best print possible. Thank you.

I'm not sure if it is re-mastered But the clarity and sound are great.

Found this on the subject:

David Copperfield [DVD] (1935)

Charles Dickens' plucky boy hero is well-served in this lavish production, featuring what many consider to be the best casting ever for a Hollywood "literary film." Following the death of his mother, David escapes the iron hand of his stepfather and seeks refuge, first with the good-hearted Micawber and then with his Aunt Betsey, eventually falling in love with the beautiful Agnes Wickfield. Basil Rathbone, W.C. Fields, Edna May Oliver, and Freddie Bartholomew and Frank Lawton as David star. AKA: "The Personal History, Adventures, Experience, And Observation of David Copperfield, The Younger." 131 min. Standard; Soundtrack: English Dolby Digital Surround; Subtitles: English, Portuguese, French, Spanish; theatrical trailer; bonus shorts "Pirate Party on Catalina Isle" (1935), "Two Hearts in Wax Time" (1935), "Poor Little Me" (1935); theatrical trailer.

Category: Drama Director: George Cukor

Cast: Elizabeth Allan, Lionel Barrymore, Freddie Bartholomew, John Buckler, Elsa Lanchester, Herbert Mundin, Una O'Connor, Edna May Oliver, Jessie Ralph, Basil Rathbone

It is worth the price..Put it on your list....

vallo

In the Spotlight: Steve Cochran

Film actor Steve Cochran (May 25, 1917 - June 15, 1965) was born Robert Alexander Cochran in Eureka, California. The son of a California lumberman, he was a graduate of the University of Wyoming in 1939. After a stint working as a cowpuncher, Cochran developed his acting skills in local theater and gradually progressed onto Broadway.

From 1949 to 1952, he worked for Warner Brothers (mostly supporting roles, often playing boxers and gangsters).

He appeared in many films including "The Kid from Brooklyn" (1946), "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946), "Highway 301" (1950), "The Damned Don't Cry!" (1950) with Joan Crawford, "Storm Warning" (1951) exceptional role as a Klansman, "Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison" (1951), "The Lion and the Horse" (1952), I Mobster" (1958), etc.

One of his most memorable roles was as psychotic mobster James Cagney?s deceitful, power-hungry henchman, Big Ed, in the gangster classic "White Heat" (1949). He won critical acclaim for his performances as a disgraced, alcoholic itinerant farmer struggling to regain the love of his family in "Come Next Spring" (1956) w/Ann Sheridan, and as a troubled drifter in Michelangelo Antonioni?s 1957 Italian film "Il Grido".

Cochran starred in a string of B-movies throughout the late 1950s, including the steamy "Carnival Story" with Anne Baxter. He also frequently appeared in episodes of the most popular television series of the era, including guest spots on "Bonanza", "The Untouchables", "Route 66" and "The Twilight Zone".

Cochran was a notorious womanizer and attracted tabloid attention for his tumultuous private life, which included well-documented affairs with actresses such as Mae West, Jayne Mansfield, Barbara Payton, Joan Crawford, Sabrina, Merle Oberon, Ida Lupino and, perhaps most famously, Mamie Van Doren, who later discussed their sex life in graphic detail in her tell-all autobiography. He was also three times married and divorced, to actress Fay McKenzie and non-celebrities Florence Lockwood and Jonna Jensen.

On June 15, 1965, at the age of 48, Cochran died on his yacht off the coast of Guatemala due to an acute lung infection. His body, along with three alive but upset female assistants, remained onboard for ten days until the boat drifted to shore and was found by authorities. There were various rumors of foul play and poisoning, and Merle Oberon tried to use her influence to push for further police investigations, though no new evidence was found.

According to Hollywood gossip and the Los Angeles crime writer James Ellroy, who is a huge Steve Cochran fan and makes references to him in several of his novels, Cochran possessed one of the largest **** in Hollywood history and enjoyed the "open secret" industry nickname of Mr. King Size due to his endowment. In some of his novels, Ellroy refers to him by the amusing sobriquet Steve ?the shvantz? Cochran. This has added to his enduring cult appeal among B-movie buffs.

Steve Cochran has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Photo is posted below.

I really enjoyed the spotlight on Jessie Ralph - I think I just saw her last night in Love is a Headache as the judge who married them at the end?? Maybe I'd better check the database - you have me thinking!

Hi Mongo,

Thanks for featuring Steve Cochran. It was quite surprising to see his smiling face here and that's exactly how I remember him.

He was a great guy; he taught me how to drive and on LA's thoroughfares too! I still drive like a bat outta hell!!

I hope he won't be rememebered for his 'big dick' although he certainly had a harem of happy women, all with smiling faces whenever he came into the room. I've never heard a bad word about him and that's rare for Hollywood. Men and women both liked him, although for different reasons.....

Larry

Larry, thanks for shedding some light on 'nice guy' Steve Cochran. He was a good actor and should have caught the brass ring.

Birdy, I'm glad that you enjoyed the profile on the wonderful Jessie Ralph.