Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

"In the Spotlight"

2,505 posts in this topic

No, I'm sure it was a man. Maybe Dick Cavett?? Sure it wasn't Leno or Letterman, this happened many, many years ago. And I guess this subject should be dropped, didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest...

No hornet's nest.

Maybe it was:

David Frost (though like Cavett, not likely), Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas or Joey Bishop?

Or it could have been an actor or celebrity that was guest hosting. Burt Reynolds used to guest host a great deal on talk shows.

Merv Griffin was my favorite talk show host and he would have never made a guest uncomfortable.

Mike Douglas was a real gentleman and he didn't have an unkind word said about him.

I doubt the comment was made by either of these two men.

It was probably made by someone like Joan Rivers or Don Rickles or Dick Cavett - someone with a weird sense of humor.

Message was edited by:

Mythoughts

just scrolling back here, mongo are you serious with that Brando story? I'm hoping that some kind of joke. I would have shut my eyes so tightly, I can't see how anyone could look so close to notice if he had hemmoroyds. Let's just hope he didn't pass gas at the same time. I used to think this guy was so sexy and handsome but this kind of killed it for me.

HAH - I was looking at the photos of John Pain and it doesn't look like anything is wrong with his "ding-a-ling"; I'd ring him up in a minute. I have no idea who this guy is but he looks pretty good to me.

Mythoughts, according to James Caan and Robert Duvall, the story is true. I believe you'd be surprised at some of the pranks Brando pulled off in his lifetime. And there is a photo lurking about that is strictly taboo.

My apologies for the somewhat muddled John Payne spotlight.

Our intentions were good, and expect that Mr. Payne wouldn't object, considering the gent that he was.

Above all we remember you fondly John Payne.

In the Spotlight: Adele Jergens

This brassy, bawdy blonde made a career out of playing vivacious barroom broads who knew their way around the hood, and to a man's heart.

Adele Jergens born November 26, 1917 grew up during the Great Depression, a product of the tough Brooklyn, New York streets.

Life in the Jergens home was anything but stable, which led to Adele having to learn to fend for herself.

When her considerable"feminine charms" began manifesting at an early age, Adele decided to "use what she had to get what she wanted." At the age of 14, she was dancing in local burlesque shows. Dubbed the "girl with the million-dollar legs", Adele soon graduated to higher class venues, dancing in Broadway chorus lines such as the Ziegfield Follies. She later became one of the leggy, legendary Rockettes, earning the honor of "Number One Showgirl in New York City."

In 1939, she pushed her PR button even further as she was crowned "Miss World's Fairest at the World's Fair hosted that year by her native New York.

The highly visible Ms. Jergens was offered a movie contract by Columbia Studios in 1944. After several bit parts, Adele was selected for the starring role opposite Cornel Wilde in 1945's "A Thousand and One Nights", A comical retelling of the Aladdin and the Lamp story. For her first starring role, Adele basically served as eye-candy, standing around waiting to be saved by Cornel Wilde. However, fans wanted more of the girl dubbed "The Eyeful" by Hollywood insiders, and Adele's career was off and running.

Columbia cast Adele in several Cutesy-pie roles over the next few years which kept her visible but not very interesting. It wasn't until she turned on the Brooklyn charm in 1948's "I Love Trouble" that she seemed to find her niche. Playing the "not-so-good girl," Adele shined in this "Chandleresque" film noir. Similar roles followed such as "The Woman from Tangiers" and "The Dark Past" opposite William Holden, both also released in 1948.

One other role that year saw Adele return to her showgirl roots as she starred in the film "Ladies of the Chorus", playing of all things Marilyn Monroe's mother! The fact that Adele was only nine years older then Marilyn, proved that she wasn't so full of herself to feel threatened by the sexy Monroe.

In 1949, Adele starred in "The Treasure of Monte Cristo", which was an excellent film noir film set in San Francisco. Adele was decadently delicious as the bad girl turned good opposite leading man Glenn Langan. Their chemistry on screen followed them into their personal lives as the two married that same year. Mr. Langan's most noted role was as "The Amazing Colossal Man" (1957).

A few more good roles followed Adele into the 50's, such as the Bowery Boys vehicle "Blonde Dynamite" and "Armored Car Robbery" both in 1950 and "Somebody Loves Me" with Betty Hutton in 1952.

However, by the mid-fifties, Adele's name began to drop further and further down the cast list. Her film choices began to narrow and she was now frequently seen classing up B-movie fodder such as 1956's "Girls in Prison" and "Runaway Daughters".

Other films included, "Down to Earth", "The Prince of Thieves", "The Fuller Brush Man", "Blonde Dynamite", "Side Street", "Edge of Doom", "Abbott & Costello Meet the Invisible Man", "Strange Lady in Town", "The Cobweb", etc. She also appeared on a TV.

Adele decided to retire from Hollywood in 1956, to raise her son Tracy. Against Tinsel Town norm, Adele and Glenn enjoyed a happy relationship and remained married, close to 40 years, until his death in 1991.

Sadly, Adele Jergens passed away of natural causes in 2002 at age 84. Her son Tracy predeceased her.

However, her image is forever captured on celluloid, allowing us to enjoy this sassy, sexy Brooklyn babe in all her shining femme fatale glory.

Miss Jergens has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (for TV no less).

Mongo!

Don't mean to backtrack this thread too far, but wanted to let all my fellow Carmen Miranda enthusiasts know that just this past weekend I received my DVD of the Busby Berkeley musical "The Gang's All Here", which features (of course) the divinely tropical CM as a nightclub performer (real stretch there, eh?) named "Dorita".

Anyway, I can HIGHLY recommend both the movie itself and this DVD transfer job; a delightful romp just sparkling with loads of funny/funky/jaunty musical numbers, most of which involve the clever vocal hi-jinx of Carmen, and often the orchestration of Benny Goodman's band, and/or the bizarre and esoteric camera/set/prop/costume/choreography work of Busby Berkeley.

Miranda's duet with Benny Goodman on "Paducah" is an absolute treasure!

So . . rent it, buy it, borrow it, or at the very least, don't miss it next time it's run on TCM!

Thanks for shining the spotlight on Miss Jergens, Mr. Mongo! I'd read that she was discovered by Columbia when she was understudying for Gypsy Rose Lee as as a burlesque strip artist in the Broadway show Star and Garter in 1942. In the best Ruby Keeler tradition, Gypsy was ill for a spell and a talent scout caught her performance thus leading to her Columbia contract. It's also been suggested that her role in Show Boat was to have been key, yet found its way to the cutting room floor.

Do you know what her son did? He seems to have been loved in the Hollywood community. It seems he worked for Panavision in some capacity. Films ("B" though they may have been) were dedicated to him. I found a paper on-line on the subject of the U.S.' status in losing location shooting to Canada, with the following dedication:

"Tracy [Langan] was well known to cinematogpher's and filmmakers all over the world. He epitomized the very best of the thousands of talented and caring individuals who work in our business."

Any idea what he did and what brought his early demise?

Merci for the lovely pictures, Mr. M. I first noticed Langan in Dragonwyck, and wondered what became of such a handsome actor with the beautiful baritone voice.

Miss G

That was the one, thanks mongo!

I remember a tall blonde coming into the asylum where Lou went by mistake, with a man ahead of her and telling Lou:

--he's a pump, pump him; he's a pump, pump him.

Lou: all right, I'll pump him.

And the guy spits water into his face.

They did the Niagara Falls sketch there too.

Darn, I love vaudeville. :)

Yes, Costello included a few folks from his movies in his television show. And who knows, they might have been in radio with him too.

Hi,

Isn't it nice to see a true Hollywood love story. Rare......

Two beautiful people, fall in love and marry and are buried together.

It gives one hope for all of us to have a happy ending...

Larry

Well, he sure looked Amazing and Colossal in Dragonwyck so it was perfect casting! ;)

Miss G

Jack, there isn't much out there about Tracy Langan. I gather he died in 2001 (a year before his mom) in his late 40s or early 50s.

Apparently he was quite a guy.

Miss G, glad you enjoyed the pictures.

Larry, I had the same feelings when I saw the grave stone, especially the inscription 'Together Forever'. Most likely a match made in heaven.

Klondike, I saw the musical "The Gang's All Here" and Carmen Miranda was indeed a hoot.

Her films are on the Fox Movie Channel.

Her films are on the Fox Movie Channel.

It is indeed a rare privilege to see Carmen, whether on FMC or on any other channel... :x

Hi Mongo----I look forward to seeing that Judy Canova episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents when that particular season makes its way to dvd. Love that show.