Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

"In the Spotlight"

2,505 posts in this topic

*Sigh*.

Richard Conte is probably one of the few movie stars I would've crossed the street to meet--most of them would barely get a nod. I hope that the Fox noirs such as Robert Siodmak's Cry of the City, Joseph Mankiewicz' House of Strangers, and Jules Dassin's Thieve's Highway make their way to TCM someday. I'd be in heaven, with, or without a barbed wire fence. Thanks for the rundown and action pic of Mr. C., Mongo.

This one may be tough for you Mongo. I mentioned a movie and the child star in it on another thread, and it started me thinking about her. I thought she was adorable, and a possible second Shirley Temple without the singing and dancing. Her name was Tammy Marihugh. I've seen her in a few other movies, and some TV work but she disappeared around the mid 60's. I looked her up on IMDB but they had no bio. She was the child to Dorothy Malone and Robert Stack in 'The Last Voyage'. Have you ever heard of her? No rush, I'm just curious.

Anne

Anne, I'll do some research on child actress Tammy Marihugh, and get back to you on the 'Ask Mongo' thread.

In the Spotlight: Ann Blyth

Ann Marie Blyth (born August 16, 1928) is an Oscar-nominated American actress and singer, most often cast in Hollywood musicals, but who also succeeded in the dramatic roles she was given.

Blyth was born in Mount Kisco, New York to parents who divorced shortly after her birth. She was raised a devout churchgoing Roman Catholic by her mother.

She began her acting career initially as "Anne Blyth", changing the spelling of her name back to the original (Ann) at the beginning of her film career. Her first acting role was on Broadway in "Watch on the Rhine" (from 1941 until 1942).

She was signed to a contract with Universal Studios, and made her film debut in "Chip Off the Old Block" (1944) with Donald O'Connor. In musical films such as "Babes on Swing Street" and "Bowery to Broadway" (both 1944), she played the part of the sweet, and demure teenager. Her next film, on loan to Warner Brothers cast her against type, as Veda Pierce, the scheming, ungrateful daughter of Joan Crawford in "Mildred Pierce" (1945). Her dramatic portrayal won her outstanding reviews, and she received a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

Blyth injured her back after this film, and was not able to capitalize on its success completely although she was still able to make a few films. She played the part of Regina Hubbard in "Another Part of the Forest" (a 1948 prequel to "The Little Foxes"), and achieved success playing a mermaid in "Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid" (1948). Her other films include : "Brute Force" (1947), "Killer McCoy" (1947 with Mickey Rooney, "A Woman's Vengeance" (1948),"Our Very Own" (with Farley Granger, 1950), "The Great Caruso" (1951), "Thunder on the Hill" (1951) w/Claudette Colbert, "The World in His Arms" (1952) w/Tyrone Power, ""One Minute to Zero" (with Robert Mitchum, 1952), "Rose Marie" (1954), "The Student Prince" (1954), "Kismet" (1955), The Buster Keaton Story (1957) and "The Helen Morgan Story" (1957) with Paul Newman.

In 1951, Howard Hughes gave her a Cadillac and a swimming pool.

Blyth raised eyebrows in 1954 at the Academy Awards show when she sang Doris Day's song "Secret Love" from "Calamity Jane" while seven months pregnant. Too funny.

From the 1960s she worked in musical theater, summer stock and television. She also became the spokesperson for Hostess Cupcakes. Her most recent television appearances have been in episodes of "Quincy" (1983) and Murder, She Wrote (1985).

She would comment favorably on a profile of her friend Joan Crawford on TCM.

She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for her contribution to motion pictures, at 6733 Hollywood Boulevard. She was featured in a comic book story with Superman in Action Comics No. 130, March 1949: "Superman and the Mermaid!".

Blyth married Dr. James McNulty, brother of Dennis Day, in 1953. The couple has five children and remain together after 53 years of marriage.

Such a pretty girl, in a china-doll way. She was excellent as the venomous "Veda"!

And I loved her wit Gregory Peck in THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS---Peck looks stunning in uniform and she is lovely in the period costumes. AMC used to air it and I haven't seen it since.

Miss G

drdoolittle:

I think you may have her mixed up with Jeanne Crain who played the oldest daughter Ann, they had similar facial features and expressions.

Anne

Christine, Anne is correct. It was Jeanne Crain in "Cheaper by the Dozen" , however her siste was played by Barbara Bates.

And Happy Holidays to you too!

"Blyth raised eyebrows in 1954 at the Academy Awards show when she sang Doris Day's song "Secret Love" from "Calamity Jane" while seven months pregnant. Too funny."

Thanks a heap, Mongo. When I read that line while taking a swallow of my sleeptime chamomile tea it took a detour since I was laughing too hard. Wish that you had a video clip of that...Btw, I wish that someone would show the entertaining The Helen Morgan Story sometime with Miss Blyth, a very young Paul Newman and one of my faves, Alan King, making like William Bendix/George Tobias in a part that might've been written for one of them (oh! and Mr. King is also pre-nose job). It's right up there with the Jeanne Eagels biopic with Kim Novak and the soon-to-be-featured in this thread, Jeff Chandler! Looking forward to it and all future picks.

;)

Moira, I would also like to see that clip of Ann Blyth singing "Secret Love" at the Oscars, while pregnant. Since Doris Day had the hit record I'm surprised that she didn't sing it.

Your welcome, Christine. I'm glad that your enjoying the thread. A few of your request will appear in a few months.

In the Spotlight: Dana Andrews

CARVER DANA ANDREWS was born on New Year's Day 1909 in Don't (a small town outside Collins), Mississippi to Rev. Charles Forrest Andrews, a Baptist minister, and his wife Anice. Shortly after his birth, Andrews' family moved to Louisville, Kentucky and later to Huntsville, Texas where he attended high school and later Sam Houston State Teachers College. After a brief stint as an accountant for Gulf Oil in Austin, Andrews hitch-hiked to Los Angeles to become a singer. (Incidentally, Andrews was one of thirteen children, and his brother William Forrest Andrews later followed him to Hollywood and became the actor known as Steve Forrest.)

Singing didn't appear to be in the cards however, and Andrews ended up studying acting at the Pasadena Playhouse, working at a filling station in suburban Van Nuys to help pay his way. At the Playhouse, Andrews met and married Janet Murray in 1932 and they had one son, David, before Murray died in 1935.

In October 1938, a scout for Samuel Goldwyn spotted Andrews and the producer gave him a contract for $150 a week, but permitted him to continue studying at the Playhouse.

His first film role came as a supporting character in William Wyler's "THE WESTERNER" (1940) with Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan. After playing a few more minor parts and B-picture roles, 20th-Century Fox bought half of Andrews' contract with Goldwyn, and in 1941 cast him as Captain Tim in John Ford's "TOBACCO ROAD".

Andrews' film career peaked in the 1940s after his portrayal of a lynch mob victim in "THE OX-BOW INCIDENT" (1943) with Henry Fonda and Jane Darwell, which many consider to be the best performance of his career. Other successes included the film-noir masterpiece "LAURA" (1944) with Gene Tierney, "A WALK IN THE SUN" (1945), the Best Picture of 1946, William Wyler's "THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES" with Fredric March, Myrna Loy, and Teresa Wright, and Elia Kazan's "BOOMERANG" (1947) in which he played an unflinchingly honest district attorney.

Other films included: "BELLE STARR", "SWAMP WATER", "BALL OF FIRE", "THE NORTH STAR", "STATE FAIR", "DAISY KENYON" W/Crawford, "NIGHT SONG", "MY FOOLISH HEART", etc.

In the late 1940s, during the height of his popularity, the publicist for Fox sent a telegram to the mayor of Collins, Mississippi suggesting that the town officially change its name to Andrews in honor of its native son. The mayor wired back: "We will not change our name to Andrews. Have Andrews change his to Collins."

With the exception of a few films like "ELEPHANT WALK" (1954) with Elizabeth Taylor and "THE LAST TYCOON" (1976) most of Andrews' films after his peak in the forties weren't very successful, and he began making a few films abroad in Britain and Italy. Although he did serve as president of the Screen Actors Guild in 1965, he spent much of the late 1960s promoting the National Council on Alcoholism. (He had had an acknowledged drinking problem since his career took off in the forties which he attributed to the pressures of his job, but he eventually won his personal battle with the bottle.) Andrews even starred in a soap opera called "Bright Promise" in 1969, and dabbled in various TV shows.

Toward the end of his life, Andrews suffered from Alzheimer's. He finally died of pneumonia on December 17, 1992 in California, leaving behind the memory of those average-Joe, leading men of the 1940s (sometimes disillusioned but usually honest) he had played so well. Though the death of his son David preceded his own (1964), Andrews was survived by a son and two daughters from his second marriage to actress Mary Todd, whom he had wed on November 17, 1939.

The actor does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

The fact that there's no star on the sidewalk in the LA for Dana Andrews doesn't surprise me. His career and the guys he played were usually struggling to live a decent life, uneasy with their own cynical self-awareness, their limitations and those of the world they lived in. There was little that was flashy or superficial about Mr. Andrews' best work. His personal struggles during the Depression, as an actor, and as a husband and father, all seemed to show up in those deeply etched expressive, worldweary lines in his everyman features and gave his characters in such films as The Best Years of Our Lives a readily identifiable flawed humanity, confusion and genuine anger. How much bravery it may take to appear in public playing fragile human beings so believably.

None of these qualities are the stuff of the Hollywood Walk of Fame on a tawdry LA street, but they'll probably speak to sentient human beings as long as film exists. Nice photographic portrait too, Mongo. Thanks.

"It's in the trees! It's coming!"

Dana Andrews starred in Jacques Tourneur's cult classic Return of the Demon. I first saw this as a youth and it haunted me for years. Any idea how Dana Andrews ended up in this British film? Was he under contract to Columbia at the time, and they sent him over? Perhaps he was a free agent and going to Europe in search of work as the studio system was crumbling back home? It seems to have been a one-time deal; at least his other films at the time were all made in the U.S.

Thanks Mr. Mongo, for this spotlight!

Thanks, Moira and Jack for the additional info.

Moira you have a good point as to why Dana Andrews didn't get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. And it's too bad.

Jack, I never saw the movie "Return of the Demon" and must make it a point to get to watch it.

Dear Mongol.

I especially enjoyed your profile on Mr. Andrews. I thought he did such an outstanding job in The Best Years Of Our Lives.He had made me root for him

It is so sad that he had no star on the walk of fame for he deserved it.Who chooses who should have a star on the walk of fame?.

Thank you, drdoolittle. I feel as you do about Dana Andrews. There is a thread about the Hollywood Walk of Fame in the Hot Topics forum "Ryan Seacrest vs. Marjorie Main" by Larry, which I will bring to the surface for you.