Sign in to follow this  
Guest TCMhost-Claire

Funniest Romantic Comedies

144 posts in this topic

Guest Pat

Ah, to have Katherine Hepburn's dilemma in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY--Cary Grant or James Stewart? How I wish I faced this problem! Pat

Guest risata

What about "Love Crazy" with William Powell and Myrna Loy? I believe it was made somewhere in the middle of the Thin Man movies, but Powell is great as a husband pretending to be crazy so his wife can't divorce him. I LOVE that movie!

Guest tracey

Yep, Pat, I agree. It's a tough choice. But I think I'd have gone with Dexter(Grant). The Stewart character was a little too young for my taste, even if he was 30. Too close-minded and imature, I guess. "The Philadelphia Story" is a great movie. It was the first Katharine Hepburn movie I'd seen, except for bits and pieces of "Bringing Up Baby" (and her movies were either very good or very bad, weren't they?). The writing was great. Lines like: "I thought it was for life, but the nice judge gave me a full pardon." "I thought all writers drank to excess and beat their wives. You know,one time, I think I secretly wanted to be a writer." "Champagne's a great leveleler. It makes you my equal." "We've come for the body of Macauley Conner." And scenes like the little sister playing the piano and singing "Lydia the Tatooed Lady" and then Tracy coming in and "interviewing Mike and Liz and Uncle Willie's dirty old man act("Then that makes you..." "...Available.") and a drunken Mike yelling "C.K. Cexter Ha-a-a-ven!" at the top of his lungs at 4 am... I wasn't as crazy about the remake, "High Society." They left out too much in order to put all the songs in. I know it was a musical, but the motivations for the characters were changed or missing and for me, it made the whole thing simply an excuse to get Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong together for a movie (not that that's a bad thing...just they should have chosen a different vehicle). Geez. I do go on, don't I?

Guest tracey

Shelley-- I agree, with the exception of "High Society", (though Grace Kelley was surprisingly good at comedy.) And I'd add "His Gal Friday," "My Favorite Wife," "Some Like It Hot," and "Adam's Rib" (if that counts) to the list. Tracey

Guest tracey

"...and it has all the classic qualities that distinguish both romantic comedy and screwball comedy (the protagonists start out thinking that they dislike one another)." Rule one of Romantic comedy: If two characters of the opposite sex start out hating one another, it's a given that at some point they will end up in love. The fun part is watching them get there... Tracey

Guest tracey

Did Natalie Wood ever do comedy? (Except for "Gypsy" which may not count since her character wasn't really funny) I can't imagine her doing comedy. She's always so sincere and dramatic in all her pictures! Tracey

Guest olmsted, l

Tracey, watch The Great Race with Natalie, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon--it is a HOOT! Not only is Natalie beatiful and sexy, she pulls off the comedy quite well.

Guest Casey

Hmm..I've been watching classic films for a few years now (I'm 15)..so I think I can give you a list. It Happened One Night - An absolute favorite of mine. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert are both amazing in this movie. I can't imagine myself topping this list with any other movie. Bringing Up Baby - I'm sure this could qualify as a Romantic Comedy, no? Cary Grant with glasses. Heh, that could sum it all up. But seriously, this is a fast paced classic, I love it. Charade - I'm sure this could also qualify. This movie is an excellent example of both Grant and Hepburn's talents. Despite the fact that Cary was about 60 when he made the movie, you really wouldn't be able to tell. He has so much flair and talent that I'm actually appauled that they would cast someone as..blah, for lack of a better term, like Mark Whalberg to play Cary. Dinner at the Ritz - I absolutely adore David Niven. This movie was quirky and fun, and I definitly enjoyed it. Roman Holidy - As I'm sure you can tell, I'm an Audrey Hepburn fan. This movie was cute, and I my heart skipped a few beats of sadness when I realized that Joe and Ann couldn't be together. Sabrina - Ah! I love this movie. All star cast, with an excellent plot. Bogie and Hepburn. Hepburn and Holden. I was actually suprised by the outcome of the movie. Yes, I was naive to think that David would go after her..but he surprised me! His Girl Friday - An awesome movie. Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell are amazing in this movie. So many twists, it just made an all around fun movie. The Shop Around the Corner - Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan are so cute in this movie. I really did enjoy this one. Although I'm not too fond of the remakes. Paris When it Sizzles - It was kind of corny, I'll give you that, but never-the-less it was fun. Holden playing an alcoholic writer and Hepburn as his secretary. Not to may people I know have seen this, but it's quirky and pretty good. Breakfast at Tiffany's - How could I not put this on my list? I loved it. Holly Golightly is my idol :) Ok, I think my list is long enough! Ha, I'm sure I could go on forever though.

Guest james, jennifer

Some of my favorite romantic comedies of all time are... ~We're not dressing: Bing Crosby & Carole Lombard ~Arsenic and old lace: Cary Grant ~The Gay Divorcee: Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers ~Shall We Dance: Fred & Ginger ~The Divorce Of Lady X: Laurence Olivier & Merle Oberon I haven't seen The Divorce of Lady X on TCM (ever!!!) and We're not Dressing hasn't been on in a couple of years!

Guest Darlene

Doris Day and Rock Hudson in "Pillow Talk" (which will be seen on TCM in January 2003. Doris is Star of the Month) or "Lover Come Back". Very funny together and quite the beautiful couple.

My favorite comedy is definatly My Best Girl. Mary Pickford and Buddy Rogers made the sweetest couple in that movie, (and later off screen too). The humor is outdated, but still a great movie of the silent screen.

Among my faves: The Awful Truth, Palm Beach Story, Wise Girl, Going Hollywood, Bringing Up Baby, It Happened One Night, Smiling Lieutenant, Trouble in Paradise, The More the Merrier, My Man Godfrey, First Ladies, Thin Man series, etc. Anything with Irene Dunne, William Powell, Miriam Hopkins, Carole Lombard, Clark Gable, Marion Davies, Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, Kay Francis, Claudette Colbert, Myrna Loy, Joel McCrea, Jean Arthur, Ginger Rogers, Marie Dressler, Jean Harlow, Jimmy Stewart, etc.... they were all great!

I just finished watching the new dvd of THE AWFUL TRUTH. It's a great little screwball, very enjoyable. I love the dance scene at the nightclub where Bellamy and Dunne do the "Oklahoma Stomp" (much to her chagrin), while Cary looks on in amusement. Interesting how Bellamy and Grant play similar types a few years later in HIS GIRL FRIDAY. Columbia did not bother to use a fully restored print. Nor provide any extras. A shame for such an important film.

Some critic calls The Awful Truth an example of the 30s comedy of re-marriage.... Very funny film in which Dunne, Grant, and Bellamy were never better.I think Dunne and Bellamy got Oscar noms for it. But I also like the wonderful Cecil Cunningham (Aunt Patsy) and Esther Dale (Bellamy's mom)as well as Joyce Compton, the snooty Mary Forbes, and Mr. Smith (best dog actor I ever saw). To think that Dunne started out in weepy women's pictures and the occasional musical and turned into one of the best comic actresses of the 30s and 40s is amazing. I lover her laugh! A gracious actress and one of the all-time greats! And she never won an Oscar!

I agree, Dunne was excellent. It would have been interesting to see what Carole Lombard or Jean Arthur would have brought to the role.

A great line from Dunne, after Joyce Compton's little song and dance, "It's a good thing she changed her name.... so her family wouldn't have to change their's."

I hadn't seen very much of the very talented Cecil Cunningham, or at least not made the connection with the face and the name. It seems she played in a lot of pre-codes at MGM and Warner.

And that Mr.Smith sure looked a lot like Asta.

I think Mr Smith was Asta..... For me, part of the delight of The Awful Truth is the fact that Irene Dunne was such a surprise as a comedienne. I'm sure Arthur or Lombard or even Kay Francis could have pulled it off.....

Cecil Cunningham made tons of films and was often unbilled but she's always recognizable and almost always plays the wise-cracking secretary or aunt.... She has a good role in Come and Get It....

My favorite line goes something like, "Hey wait a minute... somebody stole my purse!" Snooty Mary Forbes' reaction is priceless.

I just finished up with Capra's YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, another new dvd from Columbia. A minimum effort at best. No supplements and the quality of the audio and video is dubious.

Jean Arthur is her usual adorable self here, as the poor girl from the other side of town who is courted by Jimmy Stewart, the rich banker's son. Stewart spends a lot of time standing around in this one, but does have a few good scenes here and there. Better things ahead Jimmy.

Mary Forbes is back, to play Stewart's mother and reprise her uppity society matron role from THE AWFUL TRUTH. Eugene Pallette is fine as Jimmy's father, the business mogul and villain of the story. But the real stars of the film are the members of Jean's very eccentric family household, including the likes of Lionel Barrymore, Spring Byington, Donald Meek and a delightful Ann Miller. And wouldn't you know it but Ward Bond turns up... as a plainclothes cop yet.

There's no way I can read all the replies to this topic, so I'll just say that one of my favorite romantic comedies of all time is "No Time For Love" (1941, b/w, with Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray). I just adore it.

hmm.. anything with Cary Grant such as Father Goose, That touch of Mink, Arsenic and Old Lace, BUB, Philadelphia Story, .. I am a huge fan! LOL, Doris Day's The Thrill of it All, Lover Come Back, Send me No Flowers... I could go on for hours! LOL

~Ashley

Vivacious Lady, Talk of the Town, Bachalor Mother, While You Were Sleeping, My Favorite Wife, Easy Living, You Can't Take it With You, Ball of Fire, Clueless, and The Sure Thing are just a few of my favorites.

I have to say that anything with leading men like Cary Grant, Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart that display a mix of sohpistication, masculinity, quick wit and humor paired with a beautiful funny with an equal amount of sohphistaction and quick wit such as the Great Kate or Ginger Rogers lightens my heart and restores my faith in true love once more.

Ah amor!