Sign in to follow this  
cclowell38

Best Movie Soprano Voice?

139 posts in this topic

Why don't you choose one yourself?

# The Whole Shebang (2001) .... Lady Zito

# Friends and Family (2001) .... Stella Patrizzi

# "To Rome with Love" .... Eleanora (1 episode, 1970)

- Anything Can Happen in Rome (1970) TV Episode .... Eleanora

# Kismet (1967) (TV) .... Marsinah

# "The Jerry Lewis Show" (1 episode, 1963)

- Episode #1.9 (1963) TV Episode

# "Pantomime Quiz" .... Guest Panelist (1 episode, 1963)

... aka Mike Stokey's Pantomime Quiz (USA)

... aka Stump the Stars (USA: new title)

- Don Murray vs. Anna Maria Alberghetti (1963) TV Episode .... Guest Panelist

# Cinderfella (1960) .... Princess Charming

# "Checkmate" .... Jennifer Baines / ... (1 episode, 1960)

- Runaway (1960) TV Episode .... Trudy Lumbard/Jennifer Baines/Mary Ann Milford

# "Startime" .... Ginny Gibbons (1 episode, 1959)

... aka Ford Startime

... aka Lincoln-Mercury Startime

- The Jazz Singer (1959) TV Episode .... Ginny Gibbons

# "Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse" .... Carla (1 episode, 1959)

... aka Desilu Playhouse

- A Diamond for Carla (1959) TV Episode .... Carla

# "Wagon Train" .... Conchita Vasquez (1 episode, 1959)

... aka Major Adams, Trail Master

- The Conchita Vasquez Story (1959) TV Episode .... Conchita Vasquez

# "The DuPont Show of the Month" .... Princess (1 episode, 1958)

- Aladdin (1958) TV Episode .... Princess

# "Climax!" .... Angele Corton / ... (3 episodes, 1956-1957)

... aka Climax Mystery Theater (USA)

- The Secret of the Red Room (1957) TV Episode .... Kate

- Bait for the Tiger (1957) TV Episode .... Angele Corton

- The Secret Thread (1956) TV Episode .... Edna

# Ten Thousand Bedrooms (1957) .... Nina Martelli

# "Letter to Loretta" .... Julie Hendricks / ... (2 episodes, 1956-1957)

... aka The Loretta Young Show (USA: new title)

... aka The Loretta Young Theatre (USA: rerun title)

- Emergency (1957) TV Episode .... Julie Hendricks

- Song of Rome (1956) TV Episode .... Nicola

# Duel at Apache Wells (1957) .... Anita Valdez

# "Schlitz Playhouse of Stars" (1 episode, 1957)

... aka Herald Playhouse (USA: syndication title)

... aka Schlitz Playhouse (USA: new title)

... aka The Playhouse (USA: syndication title)

- The Enchanted (1957) TV Episode

# "Ford Star Jubilee" .... Tina (1 episode, 1956)

- A Bell for Adano (1956) TV Episode .... Tina

# "The Ford Television Theatre" .... Maria Andrini (1 episode, 1956)

... aka Ford Theatre (USA: short title)

- Never Lend Money to a Woman (1956) TV Episode .... Maria Andrini

# The Last Command (1955) .... Consuela de Quesada

... aka San Antonio de Bexar (USA)

# "Shower of Stars" (1 episode, 1955)

... aka Chrysler Shower of Stars

- That's Life (1955) TV Episode

# "The Colgate Comedy Hour" (1 episode, 1954)

... aka Colgate Summer Comedy Hour (USA: summer title)

... aka Colgate Variety Hour (USA: sixth season title)

... aka Michael Todd Revue (USA: subtitle)

- Revenge with Music (1954) TV Episode

# The Stars Are Singing (1953) .... Katri Walenska

# Here Comes the Groom (1951) .... Theresa

# The Medium (1951) .... Monica

... aka Medium, Il (Italy)

Why don't you stop posting a useless post to every post I make? Why don't you stop stalking me? Why don't you mind your own business? Why don't you go outside and get some fresh air? I asked Markus a question, not you. I want his opinion, not your copy and paste uselessness. Stop following me, you creepy troll.

I am interested in discussions about musicals because it happens to be my favorite film genre, and of course related discussions are of interest to me, and of course anybody who likes musicals should feel free to offer their opinion. As for creepiness, there's nothing more creepy than some old guy who likes to use filthy language because he can't stand anyone disagreeing with him on a bulletin board. :(

Why don't you choose one yourself?

Actually, there were only 7 movies in that long list of appearances. (Forgive if I miscounted by one or two - it's a lot harder to read it in that form than straight off IMDB.) And John was "talking" with Markus, thank you.

Also, many of us who are "into" voices don't really care whether it's records, live or other - but "live" is the only way to judge a singer's true worth. People like Andrea Boccelli who can hardly be heard in the 3rd row but want to have opera careers - please!........ They can be good film stars, and make musical movies, but only some of them have the goods to make it on stage in an auditorium unamplified; to them goes the true glory.

Bill

I've no doubt that "live" might be the ideal way to judge a singer... however I think in most discussions here, we're talking about singers who are either no longer with us or who have retired... from the point of view of the average TCM viewer who doesn't spend 100's of dollars attending Broadway shows regularly, judging singers based on their films would appear to be the most logical option.

Hi Johnm:

Markus, in which film would you say Anna Maria Alberghetti's voice is best featured?

I think my vote would go to The Stars Are Singing. At least, that film seemed to offer AMA her most extensive vocal showcase with (if I recall correctly) three operatic arias and several popular songs.

PS I would have enjoyed seeing AMA onstage. She sounds lovely on the Original Cast Album of Carnival. I'm not surprised her performance won her a Tony Award, and for a performance in a Broadway show inspired by a Hollywood film (Lili for anyone who may not know the source), yet!

Well, it happened again...the forum posted my response twice, so I thought I'd fill up the additional "space" by responding to one of Bill's posts:

I have Lois Butler 78s, LPs of AMA (and I've seen several movies), but at the moment I can't even recall Mary Hatcher....

Mary Hatcher is probably best remembered for her appearance in the Broadway show Texas Li'l Darlin', co-starring radio comedian Kenny Delmar, whose "Senator Cleghorn" character was the inspiration for Looney Tunes, "Foghorn Leghorn" character.

In the (late 40s) show (which had a score by Johnny Mercer and, I think, Gene De Paul), she and Delmar introduced a duet called "The Yodel Blues," ("They Talk a Different Language") which was fairly popular and can be heard on several Broadway compilations.

Hatcher appeared in a handful of films in the late 40s/early fifties, but didn't make the same impact onscreen that she did on Broadway.

Message was edited by:

markus21

> I think my vote would go to The Stars Are

> Singing. At least, that film seemed to offer AMA

> her most extensive vocal showcase with (if I recall

> correctly) three operatic arias and several popular

> songs.

Have you seen the film recently? Unfortunately it seems to be one of those classic Paramount titles that the studio just won't touch. :(

Hi Cinemascope:

No, I haven't seen the film for several years. You're right. I don't recall it ever having been released on VHS or DVD. It's not a great film, by any means, but it's a fairly enjoyable one with a talented trio of musical performers (AMA, Rosemary Clooney and Lauritz Melchior). Hopefully it will get released at some point, or at least show up on TCM.

That is why I commented on it being a Paramount title - it's the studio that has the worst track record of releasing most of its classic titles (certainly the most obscure ones) on home video or making them available to cable channels. Sadly this would probably appear to be one of the least popular Paramount titles, with only 18 viewer votes on imdb.com and an average rating of 4.3. (This just makes it a bit less likely the title will turn up sometime).

That is why I commented on it being a Paramount title - it's the studio that has the worst track record of releasing most of its classic titles (certainly the most obscure ones) on home video or making them available to cable channels.

That's what I've heard. Definitely a real shame. Not only for titles like this one, but for genuinely classic and innovative musicals like the musicals Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette MacDonald made for Lubitsch, Mamoulian and others, considered by general criical concensus to have been among the finest musical productions ever produced. At least Love Me Tonight was released by KINO DVD some years back.

The "popularity" index for The Stars Are Singing also strikes me as a double-edged sword. If Paramount has made the film generally unavailable for public broadcast, and it's never been released on either VHS or DVD, how can it ever find an audience or any degree of popularity?

Here's hoping Parmount (or MCA/UNIVERSAL or whatever corporation owns the rights to them) changes its' longstanding lackadaisical attitude toward its' classic film library, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, for better or worse, MCA/Universal owns most of Paramount's pre-1948 film library, and they have a slightly better track record than Paramount itself...

But generally the movies with the least number of votes on imdb.com are the ones that are least likely to eventually get a DVD release. At least in the cases of most MGM/WB/RKO titles, they will at least show up once in a while on TCM.