Sign in to follow this  
bggalaxy

my favorite musical

117 posts in this topic

My number one favorite has to be West Side Story.

from the finger snapping start to the "Somewhere" ending it's got me.

My favorite musical is definitely Kiss Me Kate. I love every song in the film and the actors. I was able to see it in 3D too and see an interview with Ann Miller, which was amazing. I feel that the casting was perfect and the film was just plain fun.

I also love Seven Brides for Seven Brothers... I have a thing for Howard Keel's voice.

Singin' in the Rain because no matter how many times I watch Donald O'Connor sing "Make 'em Laugh," I laugh hysterically.

My favorite musical--hmmmmm, I like quite a few, although they aren't the best.

"Hello Dolly", "Mame" and "Calamity Jane" are the three that come to my mind, but I will choose "Mame" as my favorite one.

Cool costumes, songs and sets, but it is difficult getting over Lucy's bad singing.Also, the soft focus whenever Lucy is shown on screen.

Showboat hands down is my favorite. I too have a thing for Howard Keel, in fact, any musical with Howard Keel is wonderful. Seven Brides is way up there as well as Kiss Me Kate. Katherine and Keel are always wonderful together.

Firstly, I love musicals. There are so many great ones on my top 500 film list (and I seem to discover a new one I'd never seen before frequently on TCM ... lately, "Top Hat"!). It probably all began with "Oklahoma" for me, then I remember "West Side Story" being my favorite, and so on. I also recently saw "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it.

However, if I had to pick just one, one that I enjoy every time I watch it and still **** even though I know the dialogue back-to-front, it would have to be "My Fair Lady". The things Rex Harrison's character says about the differences between the sexes et al is just so true, and so, so funny. What more can I say?

Also, if I was to pick a favorite musical based upon the songs themselves, I'd probably pick "The Sound of Music". So many great, memorable songs in that one. The only one that comes close is "Oliver!", IMO, if one is choosing just upon the number and quality of the memorable score.

My favorite musical is "Singin' in the Rain." I really like to watch Gene Kelly dance, and I am absolutely in love with Donald O'Connor. I have heard that after filming "Make 'Em Laugh," Mr. O'Connor had to have 3 days of bedrest. My 12 year old daughter's favorite musical is "Grease," which I saw in the theater on my 12th birthday.

I'm almost ashamed to say that I have never really cared for Musicals. There are some beautifully made films in the genre, but it's just never been music that I care for. I do appreciate the fact that in the 30's and 40's, an actor, to be well-rounded, had to display a talent not only for acting, but for singing and dancing as well. Can you see some of today's stars attempting a musical? I don't think the Ashton Kutcher's or the Brittany Murphy's of today could pull it off.

I have a very eclectic taste in music, but I just never got excited about the songs from those classic musicals. Of course, you will pelt me with stones when you find out that I consider The Who's TOMMY and Pink Floyd's THE WALL (and PURPLE RAIN, for that matter) to be musicals I can get behind. As much as I love old Jazz and Blues, Rock and Roll is the music that captured my imagination when I first heard The Beatles in 1970 at age 7. For my personal taste, Dylan's DON'T LOOK BACK, The Band's THE LAST WALTZ, The Stone's GIMME SHELTER, WOODSTOCK, THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION (Parts 1&2), The Sex Pistol's THE GREAT ROCK AND ROLL SWINDLE, The Beatles' HARD DAY'S NIGHT, etc., are 'musical' films I can relate to.

Having said that, I am willing to re-evaluate my opinion of the classic musicals, now that I'm older. I have seen a few of the classic musicals, but really not that many. In YOUR opinion, which musical(s), should I start off with?

Keith I think you should try "Singing in the Rain", "Caberet" and "West Side Story" to start. The music in these films interferes less with the plot and you never get the impresssion that the actor is thinking "I feel a song comming on."

Slappy3500,

I have seen 'Cabaret' and 'Singing in the Rain' and have actually liked both films. I also like 'An American in Paris.' The songs were pretty good and Gene Kelly, in the latter two films was excellent. I can't believe though, in all of the films I've seen, I just never got around to 'West Side Story.' I love Natalie Wood, and hear Rita Moreno is fantastic in it. I'll put that on my NETFLIX rental list and give it a try! Thanks!

Hey Keith, have you seen Moulin Rouge? You may may like this because they do covers of several hits throughout the film.

Hiya Keith! This recommendation sure ain't for an old musical but it had me jumping for joy. "School of Rock" is beyond fabulous. Jack Black is phenomenal as the failed rocker who takes over a class of gifted nerds. I got it through Netflix and now I'm gonna buy my own copy. I don't know if you'd get a kick out of "Easter Parade" with Garland and Astaire and Ann Miller. I like this one much better than "Meet Me in St. Louis." A real curiosity--which played on my local PBS station years ago--is the early talkie-musical, "Sunnyside Up"--1929, with Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell. It is simply adorable! If you don't like the music, you can study the women's fashions and just the way people looked in l929. In one scene, you even see the shadow of the microphone hanging over the stars. "Turn on the Heat" is a wild and crazy number featuring about 50 overweight chorines. Nutty but fun.

Bggalaxy,

I actually liked 'Moulin Rouge' alot. I'm a big fan of cinematography and that filmed just 'looked' great from start to finish. Also, the music wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I definitely walked away impressed by Baz Luhrmann's creative 'vision.'

PatyPancake,

I saw 'School of Rock' when it came out and loved it! Don't know what it is about Jack Black, but he cracks me up! He seems to be a composite of every stoner I have ever known. So that makes him funny to me by default. I also like his twisted work with Kyle Gass, as part of the comedy 'force' that is TENACIOUS D. His work is probably not for everyone, but 'School of Rock' is pretty cool.

As for 'Sunnyside Up,' I'll need to see that! I love my silents, but also love that fun little Pre-Code period from 1929 until 1934. I try and see as many of those films as is humanly possible! I also like Janet Gaynor. Murnau's 'Sunrise' is one of my favorite silent films and Gaynor is terrific in it. I will also put 'Easter Parade' on my viewing list. Like you, I also like to witness what people were wearing, as well as the way they 'talked' back in those days. It completely fascinates me. Anyway, thanks patypancake, as always, for your brilliant expertise.........

Classicstar181,

As good as CHICAGO is on film, I suggest you see it on stage, if you haven't already. The show has been touring around the country for the past several years and if it hasn't made it your way, it probably will soon. I'm not the biggest fan of musicals, as you will see in a previous post on this thread, but I thought this was phenomenal on stage......

Keith,

Try a lesser-known Astaire film called "The Sky's the Limit." It's almost more a dark comedy than a musical, and a most unusual war-themed film. I am a huge fan of musicals, and this unlikely gem is actually my favorite film.

Oh let's see, where do I begin? Being as I have close to 80 movie musicals to my name, it's hard to pick even a few out. I'll name a few.

Meet Me In St. Louis - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1944

Three Little Words - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1950

State Fair - 20th Century-Fox, 1945 (also like the 1962 version)

Broadway Melody of 1938 - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1937

Victor/Victoria - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1982

Mary Poppins - Walt Disney, 1964

Mame - Warner Bros, 1974

Calamity Jane - Warner Bros, 1973

Billy Rose's Jumbo - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1962 (probably my favorite Doris Day film)

The Pirate - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1948 - probably the only Gene Kelly film, in addition to Brigadoon, that I really like

Show Boat - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1950 (Universal's 1936 version is really good too)

The Unsinkable Molly Brown - Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1964 (This film is worth seeing for its spectacular Metrocolor widescreen photography alone!)

I too will admit I'm a sucker for Mame. I don't see a fault in Lucy's singing. In fact, I think she's more believable in the role than Angela Lansbury was in the Broadway original. And that, regardless how well she can carry a tune, can make all the difference in the world. And you couldn't get a better Vera Charles than in Bea Arthur. The title number as performed in this film is, to me, one of the greatest showstopping numbers ever put on film.

To add to my list...

Blue Skies (Paramount, 1946)

White Christmas (Paramount, 1954... this one is probably my one single favorite, don't know how it slipped my mind before)

And to correct myself, Calamity Jane was made in 1953, not 1973. Oops!

West Side Story

Oklahoma!

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

anything with Judy Garland singing

But I also agree with Keith in the previous post that TOMMY, THE WALL, HARD DAY'S NIGHT, HELP!, etc. are awesome musicals, just a different type of music. I also liked HAIR.

I am a musical junkie, especially MGM musicals from "The Golden Age" of the mid '40s and '50s. Having said that my favorite all-time musical is "The Sound of Music". I am a romantic, a fan of both Christopher Plummer and Julie Andrews, and have a deep interest in history, particularly WWII and the years just before. Watching this movie is my birthday present to myself every year.

Singin' in the Rain

An American in Paris

For Me and My Gal

The Pirate

On the Town

Anchors Aweigh

Brigadoon

Oklahoma!

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Show Boat

Meet Me in St. Louis

Gigi

My Fair Lady

Top Hat

Swing Time

Shall We Dance

Holiday Inn

Easter Parade

Broadway Melody of 1940

Mary Poppins

The Sound of Music

The Wizard of Oz

My Fav

West Side Story

An American in Paris

Moulin Rouge

Chicago

Annie Go Get Your Gun

Grease

My Fair lady

The Sound of Music

State Fair

Mary poppins

The Phantom of the Opera

Hello Dolly

Funny Girl

Guys and Dolls

Gipsy

MAYTIME

ROSE MARIE

SWEETHEARTS

SMILIN' THRU (1941)

A CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT (1949)

THE GREAT WALTZ

THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE

SOUND OF MUSIC