Sign in to follow this  
bggalaxy

my favorite musical

117 posts in this topic

Definitely "Kiss Me Kate". I'm hooked on that movie. When I first bought the DVD, I must've watched it about 5 times in row,and I'm still not burnt out on it.I love the singing,but I especially love the dancing-the dance sequence with Ann Miller,Bob Fosse,and the other couples after Bianca's wedding has got to be one of the best dance sequences ever.And OF COURSE Ann Miller dancing to "Too Darn Hot"-classic! Boy,that woman could dance-I read that she held the world record at one time(she may still,I don't know) for the most taps per minute. I don't remember how many it was.I could watch "Kiss Me Kate" over and over!

Second favorite-Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. I love when all the brothers dance at the barn-raising-great blend of ballet,acrobatics,and Americana.And the dance that the girls do in their shimmies and bloomers,"June Bride".

Third favorite-"Unsinkable Molly Brown"-Debbie Reynolds goes from looking like a hot mess to absolutely beautiful in that movie.And it also has a wonderful dance sequence-at the ball Molly gives with all the titled heads.it's a rouser,and debbie danced her heart out!

All the Fred-and-Ginger RKO musicals-that's a given.I think one of my favorite dances of theirs is the one from "Follow The Fleet"-"Let Yourself Go"--they are so cute in that dance,their footwork is great,and Ginger looks darling in that cute little hat with those curls,LOL>

It's not a musical,but I love the little dance number that Rita Hayworth does in "Gilda". Not the famous strip-tease one-though that's a great scene-but the one where she's in Argentina to get away from Johnny(Glenn Ford). Rita Hayworth was so beautiful,and such a graceful and lithe dancer.

And last but not least-would this be considered a musical?-there's singing,but no dancing-"Love Me Tonight" with Jeanette McDonald and Maurice Chevalier. I love that song "Mimi",anytime I hear it gets stuck in ,my head,and when Maurice Chevalier sings the "Apache" song-"because I'm an Apache!" (he pronounces it "apash"). I love all the movies Maurice Chevalier and Jeanette McDonald did together tjhat I've seen-I'd like to see more of them. Myrna Loy was a hoot in "Love Me Tonight",and the innuendo in that movie is hilarious-proving that it's much more interesting and requires more wit to imply than to just shove it people's faces.

Anyway,those are some of most favorite musicals.

Melanie2_ani.gif

My favorite is "The King and I". With Deborah Kerr and Yul Brynner. The songs are timeless. I have the original record album. Shall We Dance, is breathtaking.

Watching the two of them dance, in the movie, with the song playing in the background.

oh my, i have too many to name, but my ALL TIME FAVORITE has to be, West Side Story, i could watch it over and over and over again and not get tired of it!

looooooove to west side story!

Hi, I'm new here :)

"What is my favorite musical" can't be answered with just one!

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, definitely! Saw it on network TV when I was a little girl. It was the first musical I'd even seen. I still love it. I had a crush on Howard Keel for years!

Bye Bye Birdie (the one with Dick Van Dyke, Janet Leigh and Ann-Margret). Silly story line, but the songs are fantastic!

The King and I. My favorite scene is where the King is introducing his children to Mrs. Anna. Her reactions to all those beautiful children is priceless.

South Pacific because it's beautifully filmed and I absolutely love the message. I've printed the lyrics to "It has to be taught" in several other forums when prejudice was being discussed.

Oh, wow I absolutely love "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers"!!! Though I ask myself how can I just pick one favorite musical!!! Top 20 maybe even Top 10...but I've driven myself into the ground in thinkimg of five of my loved musicals:

1) Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

2) Guys and Dolls (love Brando and Sinatra in this one)

3) Yankee Doodle Dandy

4) Singin' In the Rain (love Gene Kelly)

OH, the dreaded awaited 5th one...here's the solution there won't be a fifth...lol...cause there's to many Gene Kelly flicks that I love and Sinatra and Astaire!!

Not a big musical fan, But Singing in the Rain is my favorite. And most Disney movies. But for my father, bless his heart, it was Brigadoon. When mom was pregnant with me, he dragged her to see it at least 8 times. He wanted to name me Cyd but mom drew the line on that one.

Scrooge (Albert Finney)

Oliver (Oliver Reed as Bill Sikes)

On A Clear Day (You Can See Forever)

Meet Me In St. Louis

The Muppet Christmas Carol

and on and on

I'm partial to Doris Day ... that personality, that VOICE! Can't be beat! Three of her best musicals are "Love Me or Leave Me," "The Pajama Game" and "Calamity Jane." I also love "Singin' In the Rain," "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," "Meet Me in St. Louis," and "Chicago."

Welcome, tabbie! I'm new here, too, but not to the wonderful world of musicals! You and I share similar tastes. "It Has To Be Taught" convey's such a great lesson! I've seen South Pacific, oh maybe 70 times, and like many others, I supposed, even acted in it. It's my all-time choice, I suppose!

I seen Summer Stock for the first time the other day with Judy Garland and Gene Kelly. I absoluely loved that movie! And very entertaining. I think this is one of my fav's for Judy and I don't think I ever seen Gene dance so great.

Well, I'm with most of the rest of you, in that picking 3 or 4

favorite musicals would be hard.

I enjoyed South Pacific, The Sound of Music, and believe or not: "Mary Poppins & several of the Elvis musicals too.

And I'm not sure if the title of one I'm thinking of is the same as the name of an old song, but if it is - - There's No Bussiness Like Show Bussiness, with Dan Daily, Ethel Merman, Donald O'Connor, and Mitzi Gaynor was a good one too.

Wonder how many of some of these old movie stars are still alive - not many, I suspect.

I'm a real sucker for most of what Joe Pasternak was producing at MGM during the forties. I absolutely love Two Girls from Boston, Anchors Aweigh, That Midnight Kiss, The Toast of New Orleans and almost all of the Jane Powell output of the period including Holiday in Mexico, A Date With Judy, Nancy Goes To Rio and Luxury Liner. Today Pasternak's brand of class mixed with pop culture get negatively branded as pure schmaltz. But ol' Joe had the right idea. His film continue to hit me where any good musical should, and, it counts...in my heart. I'm humming 'Love is Music' as you read this.

An American In Paris

Singin' In The Rain

Top Hat

Follow The Fleet

For Me and My Gal

The Pirate

Summer Stock - Probably my all-time favorite.

The Harvey Girls

Easter Parade

You'll Never Get Rich

In The Good Old Summertime

The Wizard of Oz

Holiday Inn

White Christmas

The Sound of Music

Grease

I'm a big musical fan, be it on film or on the stage. Sometimes I get really sad because a lot of my favorite stage musicals have not yet been adapted to film (like Sweeney Todd and Company).

My favorite movie musicals.....

Cabaret

Gold Diggers of 1933

The Threepenny Opera (hopefully with the popularity of the recent revival they'll consider finally makng an american version of the film)

Roberta

Swing Time

Top Hat

Shall We Dance

Follow the Fleet

The Gay Divorcee

Singin' In the Rain

The Sky's the Limit

An American In Paris

Gigi

Kiss Me Kate

Love Me Tonight

One Hour With You

The Merry Widow

Royal Wedding

Silk Stockings

Cover Girl

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Shock Treatment

Man, I read all seven pages of replies and have to agree that it's impossible to name one but I agree with d4nq3rq1rl somewhere down on page 6 or 7 that ANYTHING with Howard Keel is worth seeing more than 10 times. Besides '7 Brides etc. one of my very faves was only mentioned two times - Annie Get Your Gun. The 'I can Do Anything You Can Do Better' was fantastic including the facial expressions, arm positioning and all of it. I Love Judy Garland, but I've seen clips of when she originally started production, and I was never a big Betty Hutton fan, but she truly does have it all over Judy in this part, she gave it her all just like Debbie did in 'Molly Brown'. Then I saw Betty Hutton in 'The Greatest Show on Earth' and revised my opinion of her, she really digs in! Its too late now, but if they had ever made a re-make of 'Annie Get etc.', I would have loved to see Reba McIntire because she played the part for a while in the revival on Broadway. I bet she raised some eyebrows!

I saw Reba McIntire in Annie Get Your Gun on Broadway. I was shocked at how they watered down the book and lyrics, taking out the double-entendres and much of the spunk of the original. I was astonished that we were more conservative when this revival came out than when the musical first opened 50 years before.

I have Al Jolson doing " Goin' to Heaven on a Mule" on my laserdisc but I'm pretty certain it's not on the DVD Berkeley collection.