Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Favorite LP covers...

160 posts in this topic

To each their own. I like both covers, though I would

guess that Freudians prefer Bringing It All Back Home.

AGAIN----

I like a LOT of album covers.  But not ALL of them are my "favorites".

Dark, you'll love this  :D

I first recall hearing Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" while on vacation at Niagra Falls with my folks in '65.  The DJ said it was by someone what SOUNDED to me like "Bob Dillon".  Had NO idea how it was actually spelled.  I went to the nearest store that sold records and couldn't find ANY LPs by a Bob DILLON, but a few by this cat named Bob DYLAN, which I foolishly at the time thought was pronounced "DYE-lan"!  :D

My step sister, a Dylan fan since his first LP finally set me straight.   Been a dedicated Dylan freak ever since!  However, by that ime and due to availability, my first Dylan LP purchase was ANOTHER SIDE also due to a sticker pasted on it saying it contained  "The hits "It Ain't Me Babe"( it too, was a big hit by The Turtles at the time) and "All I Really Want To Do"( CHER's big hit at the same time)."

Sepiatone

I was talking about the cover. Weren't you?

I really don't see anything very gay about the cover,

but maybe it being 1965, I'm missing something.

AGAIN----

I like a LOT of album covers.  But not ALL of them are my "favorites".

Sepiatone

As Mao Zedong was rumored to have said after first seeing

the White Album,"Let a thousand album covers bloom."

I really don't see anything very gay about the cover, but maybe it being 1965, I'm missing something.

I didn't say the cover was gay, I said homosexuals prefer it to the 'Bringing It All Back Home' cover.

Dark, you'll love this 

I first recall hearing Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" while on vacation at Niagra Falls with my folks in '65.  The DJ said it was by someone what SOUNDED to me like "Bob Dillon".  Had NO idea how it was actually spelled.  I went to the nearest store that sold records and couldn't find ANY LPs by a Bob DILLON, but a few by this cat named Bob DYLAN, which I foolishly at the time thought was pronounced "DYE-lan"! 

My step sister, a Dylan fan since his first LP finally set me straight.   Been a dedicated Dylan freak ever since!  However, by that ime and due to availability, my first Dylan LP purchase was ANOTHER SIDE also due to a sticker pasted on it saying it contained  "The hits "It Ain't Me Babe"( it too, was a big hit by The Turtles at the time) and "All I Really Want To Do"( CHER's big hit at the same time)."

Love 'It Ain't Me Babe'! Dylan could really get across the anti-romantic viewpoint in an age of romantic syrup.

First time I heard 'All I Really Want to Do' was on The Byrds debut album and it's still my favorite version. I also bought Cher's album with it, but by then it was imprinted on me as a Byrds song.

I didn't say the cover was gay, I said homosexuals prefer it to the 'Bringing It All Back Home' cover.

I didn't even realize they had an opinion on the matter.

Live and learn.

I didn't even realize they had an opinion on the matter.

At least as much of an opinion as your "Freudians" do of the other cover. You did say that you would guess "Freudians" prefer the other - did you not?

I prefer 'Bringing It's' cover, so I guess I'm tuned into Freudians.

You prefer '61's cover, so I guess you're tuned in to homosexuals.

Sounds reasonable to me. You seem to be having some problem working it out, though.

Maybe you should leave the psychoanalysis to someone else in future. You don't seem to be too adept at it.

At least as much of an opinion as your "Freudians" do of the other cover. You did say that you would guess "Freudians" prefer the other - did you not?

I prefer 'Bringing It's' cover, so I guess I'm tuned into Freudians.

You prefer '61's cover, so I guess you're tuned in to homosexuals.

Sounds reasonable to me. You seem to be having some problem working it out, though.

Maybe you should leave the psychoanalysis to someone else in future. You don't seem to be too adept at it.

Yes I did, but mostly in jest. I figured the BIABH cover was chock full of

symbols compared to the rather meager offerings on the cover of HSR.

And Freudians seem to love dissecting symbols. I agree I'm not very

skilled at psycho analysis. I'll leave that to the Viennese quack and his

acolytes.

Yes I did, but mostly in jest. I figured the BIABH cover was chock full of symbols compared to the rather meager offerings on the cover of HSR. And Freudians seem to love dissecting symbols. I agree I'm not very skilled at psycho analysis. I'll leave that to the Viennese quack and his acolytes.

Seems like he did make up a crazy load of nonsense. And people think Trump is crackers.

They both sell it, though.

Love 'It Ain't Me Babe'! Dylan could really get across the anti-romantic viewpoint in an age of romantic syrup.

First time I heard 'All I Really Want to Do' was on The Byrds debut album and it's still my favorite version. I also bought Cher's album with it, but by then it was imprinted on me as a Byrds song.

Since Cher's version was recorded and released a year before The Byrd's, I wonder at the time gap.

But, this isn't a Dylan or Cher OR a Byrd's thread, so let's move on.  But first-----

Never heard anything about "Fruedians" liking the BIABH cover and homosexuals preferring the cover of H61R.    So, I wonder if this means our friend Vautrin is poking a toe out of the closet?  ;)

Sepiatone

Since Cher's version was recorded and released a year before The Byrd's, I wonder at the time gap.

I wasn't a Cher fan as quickly as I was a Byrds fan. So I didn't buy their albums in the order they came out. I probably wouldn't have bought Cher at all if I hadn't been in the Columbia Record Club.

But I have to question the year thing. Surely it was only a few months at most. The LP 'Mr. Tambourine Man' by The Byrds (which I bought from an actual store) came out in 1965 - when did the LP 'All I Really Want to Do' by Cher come out?

Added 20 minutes later*

- Never mind, I looked it up - they came out at the same time.

Wikipedia says this:

"All I Really Want to Do" is Cher's debut single. Released in May 1965, it reached #15 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #9 in the United Kingdom charts. Cher's recording of the song also charted in several other countries during 1965. Cher's version was involved in a chart battle with the Byrds' recording of "All I Really Want to Do" when both versions entered the Billboard Hot 100 during the same week.

The initial idea to cover the song came when Cher heard the Byrds perform it during their pre-fame residency at Ciro's nightclub on the Sunset Strip in March 1965. This caused a minor controversy when it was alleged by the Byrds and their management that Cher and her husband, Sonny Bono, had taped one of the Byrds' appearances at Ciro's without permission, in order to utilize some of the band's material for their own releases. However, Cher's version is, in fact, quite different from the Byrds' recording and lacks the Beatlesesque bridge that remained unique to their version.

Seems like he did make up a crazy load of nonsense. And people think Trump is crackers.

They both sell it, though.

It always helps to have good PR skills. Ja, you like to **** hamsters

because your mama bought you a Three Musketeers candy bar

instead of a Milky Way. Oh, I see our time is up.

I see the confusion here now Dark.

I too, looked it all up on WKI before my post, and misread the info.  I THOUGHT it was referring to when CHER released the song, but it was really referring to when DYLAN released it on his ANOTHER SIDE LP. 

Sorry. (or, SOARY).

Someday though, there might or must be a brief discussion of  how many artists made it big by covering a Bob Dylan tune for their first single.  :)

Sepiatone