Sign in to follow this  
jaragon

"Looking"

3 posts in this topic

Anyone here fan of the show?  They ended with a rather good tv movie but  I would like to see some of those characters again.

Anyone here fan of the show?  They ended with a rather good tv movie but  I would like to see some of those characters again.

I have to say I'm a fan, though most of what I hear from others and read in print tends to be indifferent or negative. I'm not sure why. To my mind, the characters, their relationships and their milieu are pretty well defined, though my familiarity with San Francisco dates from almost 50 years ago and undoubtedly things have changed many times over. Maybe because it's San Francisco, people compare it to Tales of the City, the granddaddy of them all, and find it wanting. A few of the character evolutions and storylines have strained credibility, but I'm a huge fan of ensemble work and I think those guys (and women) did a great job. I've taken a crack at writing over the years and shared many of the same objectives this show seems to have had. I know how hard it is to get right and I regret that the show didn't seem to resonate with much of its intended audience. (I know that feeling too.) Maybe post-**** as Folk and The L Word, it was just too character-driven to satisfy hornier viewers, without the full quotient of skin-on-skin. Somehow, I don't think we pay as much attention to words as we used to; the visuals tend to take over. (I know. An odd observation on a film site, right?)

• Like 2

I have to say I'm a fan, though most of what I hear from others and read in print tends to be indifferent or negative. I'm not sure why. To my mind, the characters, their relationships and their milieu are pretty well defined, though my familiarity with San Francisco dates from almost 50 years ago and undoubtedly things have changed many times over. Maybe because it's San Francisco, people compare it to Tales of the City, the granddaddy of them all, and find it wanting. A few of the character evolutions and storylines have strained credibility, but I'm a huge fan of ensemble work and I think those guys (and women) did a great job. I've taken a crack at writing over the years and shared many of the same objectives this show seems to have had. I know how hard it is to get right and I regret that the show didn't seem to resonate with much of its intended audience. (I know that feeling too.) Maybe post-**** as Folk and The L Word, it was just too character-driven to satisfy hornier viewers, without the full quotient of skin-on-skin. Somehow, I don't think we pay as much attention to words as we used to; the visuals tend to take over. (I know. An odd observation on a film site, right?)

The show had plenty of sex- I think people were expecting a lighter show