Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour

303 posts in this topic

Reading of the recent news of Patricia Barry's passing has reminded me of the Hitchcock Hour episode titled "Good-Bye, George"(first telecast in 1963) she co-starred in with Robert Culp and Stubby Kaye.

In this one she's a famous Hollywood actress who's first husband(Kaye) and who's believed dead, comes back to blackmail her. Culp plays her manager and second husband, and comes up with a plan to get rid Kaye's body after she accidentally kills him.

(...and of course as usual, the ending has that famous Hitchcockian twist)

Reading of the recent news of Patricia Barry's passing has reminded me of the Hitchcock Hour episode titled "Good-Bye, George"(first telecast in 1963) she co-starred in with Robert Culp and Stubby Kaye.

In this one she's a famous Hollywood actress who's first husband(Kaye) and who's believed dead, comes back to blackmail her. Culp plays her manager and second husband, and comes up with a plan to get rid Kaye's body after she accidentally kills him.

I saw that one this year for the first time and it was superlative. I also like the one where she starts wearing the wig from the witchcraft days I think for a part in a play or film. Wonderfully evocative. She was always memorable and really a lot different from most of her contemporary actresses of the time who were not as subtly subversive or sexy.

• Like 2

That one sounds somewhat familiar, though I can't recall it offhand.

There are episodes that have similar plots.

Woodbine was one of the few Hitchcock episodes that dealt with the

supernatural, something that was more common on the TZ. Hitch

usually kept things down to earth, even if it was murder and mayhem.

BIlly Gray (Father Knows Best) played a college student caught cheating by Ford. He and a buddy were watching Ford and saw him take hatbox to the trash........goes from there.

Yes, I've seen that one........

I saw that one this year for the first time and it was superlative. I also like the one where she starts wearing the wig from the witchcraft days I think for a part in a play or film. Wonderfully evocative. She was always memorable and really a lot different from most of her contemporary actresses of the time who were not as subtly subversive or sexy.

That's A Wig for Miss Devore and it's from Thriller.  There's a AHH coming up this week or the next where both her husband and she try to kill each other rather than just divorce-I think he's played by Harry Townes.  I've not seen it in a while and will tape it for the daytime.

These shows are easy to mix up.  I remembered the opening scene from Bye, Bye, George but always thought it was part of the Devore story until I saw them both a few years ago and untangled them. 

BBG is one of my favorite episodes.  Memo from Purgatory was on this week-end and Beyond the Sea of Death a few weeks ago.  Besides the story, which Hitchcock ran without levity because he "considered juvenile delinquency one of our pressing national problems" MFP's cast of about-to-bes-James Caan, Tony Musante, Walter Koenig and others-blows your mind.   

BIlly Gray (Father Knows Best) played a college student caught cheating by Ford. He and a buddy were watching Ford and saw him take hatbox to the trash........goes from there.

Okay, I remember that one, though not in detail. I think the

half hour show was shown more often in syndication than

the hour long one.

It wasnt that great, until the ending.  Most of it was almost a monologue from Ford.

There's another good Hour episode on tonight. The Thanatos (sp?) Hotel with Angie DIckinson and Steven Hill about a most unusual hotel (dont want to give away the plot).

Me-TV ran the one with Robert Emhardt and Cara Williams this morning (glad I checked beforehand!) I recorded it for future viewing........

Poor old Prof. But when you see Robert Emhardt married

to Cara Williams, you know something is not quite right.

I remember a bit about the Thanatos Hotel episode. An

interesting premise, but not one of my favorites. Like some

of the hour long ones it drags a bit.

Poor old Prof. But when you see Robert Emhardt married

to Cara Williams, you know something is not quite right.

I remember a bit about the Thanatos Hotel episode. An

interesting premise, but not one of my favorites. Like some

of the hour long ones it drags a bit.

Yeah, it was more of a mood piece. Some of the hour long ones were like that. Looking forward to Bob and Cara. I dont remember that one very well.............

Yeah, it was more of a mood piece. Some of the hour long ones were like that. Looking forward to Bob and Cara. I dont remember that one very well.............

The setting reminded me a bit of the 1962 version of Caligari and

those movies where someone goes into a mental hospital to expose

something. It was fairly entertaining. The Bob and Cara episode is

pretty good, though the plot isn't exactly that original. I'll say no more.

The setting reminded me a bit of the 1962 version of Caligari and

those movies where someone goes into a mental hospital to expose

something. It was fairly entertaining. The Bob and Cara episode is

pretty good, though the plot isn't exactly that original. I'll say no more.

Yeah, dont ruin it for me! The ending was good (Hotel) I wasnt expecting that the first time I saw it........

Yeah, dont ruin it for me! The ending was good (Hotel) I wasnt expecting that the first time I saw it........

It's been so long since I saw it that I don't even remember the ending.

Don't tell me because I may come across it somewhere in the future.

It's been so long since I saw it that I don't even remember the ending.

Don't tell me because I may come across it somewhere in the future.

No, I wont.

Watched the Bob/Cara episode over the wknd. I'd seen it before, but had forgotten about it. How did Bob even end up w/Cara??? LOL! Cara seemed to end up badly on A.H. shows........

Watched the Bob/Cara episode over the wknd. I'd seen it before, but had forgotten about it. How did Bob even end up w/Cara??? LOL! Cara seemed to end up badly on A.H. shows........

And how about the Prof's buddies? With friends like those, who

needs enemies. Burying your spouse, usually a wife, was used

on the AH shows fairly often. Still a pretty good episode.

Perhaps because like another actress who often seemed to end up badly on Alfred's show, Patricia Barry, they both could play the attractive but contemptible shrew so damn well.

And how about the Prof's buddies? With friends like those, who

needs enemies. Burying your spouse, usually a wife, was used

on the AH shows fairly often. Still a pretty good episode.

Yeah, really! LOL. Yeah, those basement burials were used quite often. Too bad Cara missed the bus........

Perhaps because like another actress who often seemed to end up badly on Alfred's show, Patricia Barry, they both could play the attractive but contemptible shrew so damn well.

True! Though Cara wasnt in it long enough to tell one way or the other.

Yeah, really! LOL. Yeah, those basement burials were used quite often.........

Back a couple of weeks ago, MeTV showed the "Change of Address" episode again.

(...that's the one where Arthur Kennedy deposes of Phyllis Thaxter in this manner inside the Malibu beach house they're renting, and which it seems the owner of the beach house had had kindred thoughts himself)

Yeah, really! LOL. Yeah, those basement burials were used quite often. Too bad Cara missed the bus........

Yep. Sometimes the Cara Williams and Patricia Barry types were really

low down and mean. Other times they were just a little naughty. The one

I can think of offhand where a wife buried a husband was in the one about

the woman who was a big fan of a movie star and her hubby thought she

was silly. He ended up being buried, though in was in a garden and not

a basement. She didn't get away with it either. Funny episode.

Yep. Sometimes the Cara Williams and Patricia Barry types were really

low down and mean. Other times they were just a little naughty. The one

I can think of offhand where a wife buried a husband was in the one about

the woman who was a big fan of a movie star and her hubby thought she

was silly. He ended up being buried, though in was in a garden and not

a basement. She didn't get away with it either. Funny episode.

Yeah, I remember that one. I think they ran it not too long ago. Cara just seemed naughty in this one. Seemed pleasant enough!

The garden was another popular unloading spot. Bob was after someone a few wks ago who buried his wife there. Bob was an insurance agent who felt the guy was guilty, but nothing was proved...

Yeah, I remember that one. I think they ran it not too long ago. Cara just seemed naughty in this one. Seemed pleasant enough!

The garden was another popular unloading spot. Bob was after someone a few wks ago who buried his wife there. Bob was an insurance agent who felt the guy was guilty, but nothing was proved...

Yes, I couldn't remember the exact plot of the one where he kept bothering

the couple in their motel room, so I went back and watched it on YahooView.

Even if he was on the right side, he was still pretty creepy. I checked and

Bob played the husband who was buried by Judith Evelyn in the episode I

mentioned. I thought it might have been him, but wasn't sure. You can't

not see him if you watch just about any TV show from the 1960s.

Back a couple of weeks ago, MeTV showed the "Change of Address" episode again.

(...that's the one where Arthur Kennedy deposes of Phyllis Thaxter in this manner inside the Malibu beach house they're renting, and which it seems the owner of the beach house had had kindred thoughts himself)

The character Kennedy played was a real jackass. A middle age man

trying to pretend he was a teenager again. I'm surprised she didn't

kill the old idiot first. Call it justifiable homicide. :)

• Like 1

The character Kennedy played was a real jackass. A middle age man

trying to pretend he was a teenager again. I'm surprised she didn't

kill the old idiot first. Call it justifiable homicide. :)

LOL

Yep, and it was Ann Sothern's actual daughter, Tisha Serling, who played the young woman he was after.

Saaay....ya know who around here could play the Arthur Kennedy part in a remake of that episode?

Uh-huh...our own DGF!

(...well, he DOES keep sayin' he likes the "younger ladies" some 30 to 40 years his junior out there, RIGHT?!)