Sign in to follow this  
DownGoesFrazier

The Alfred Hitchcock Hour

303 posts in this topic

nurse.jpg

I once looked up the meaning of the phrase "exotic looking", and a picture of actress Arlene Martel was next to it.

(...but no, there was no caption below her picture saying "Room for one more, Honey", and which I thought would've been a nice touch)

;)

I once looked up the meaning of the phrase "exotic looking", and a picture of actress Arlene Martel was next to it.

(...but no, there was no caption below her picture saying "Room for one more, Honey", and which I thought would've been a nice touch)

;)

You're hospitalized after some accident and when you open your eyes, the pain attacking you as you collect your thoughts, you look up and see Agatha (don't know her real name but Agatha is so creepy it matches) who looks like the above (add a faint smile) and says, "I am your nurse, I'll be taking care of you during your :snicker: recovery." You say, "Excuse me, please book a flight for me over Iraq and eject me with nothing but a parachute and a pair of undies. I like my chances, honest."

AntennaTV showed Road Hog this past wknd. I recorded it and watched it yesterday. OUCH! A fitting end. Raymond Massey and Richard Chamberlain were also in it.........

Poor Bob. Massey played one of those stern, OT types seeking revenge.

A bit like his role in East of Eden. Bob never made out very well in the

AH shows, but he was very effective in those roles.

Poor Bob. Massey played one of those stern, OT types seeking revenge.

A bit like his role in East of Eden. Bob never made out very well in the

AH shows, but he was very effective in those roles.

LOL. And AH didnt have one of his crime doesnt pay eventually outros afterwards either!

LOL. And AH didnt have one of his crime doesnt pay eventually outros afterwards either!

Guess he felt it was a deserved punishment. If I recall this

correctly, there were two episdoes in which Bob killed and

buried his nagging wives--one in a garden and one down in

the basement. I don't remember if he was caught in the end

or if Hitch staightened things out in the epilogue. Emhardt

did make a somewhat sympathetic character as the henpecked

husband.

husband.

I remember the garden one. There were several burials in the basement on different shows, cant remember if I saw his or not.

husband.

One of my favorites of the original half hour shows is the Hitchcock directed "One More Mile To Go", and where David Wayne kills his nagging wife with a fireplace poker during a heated argument, and then places her body in the trunk of his car with designs to dump it in a lake some distance from their home. The tension comes via a well-intentioned but bothersome motorcycle cop played by Steve Brodie who insists Wayne fix the intermittently faulty tail light on his car.

I remember the garden one. There were several burials in the basement on different shows, cant remember if I saw his or not.

Burying one's significant other was a wellworn plot. I believe

I mentioned the one where John Williams was the culprit. In

Bob's case I believe he was a college prof married to Cara

Williams, who was cheating on him. Yeah, big surprise. I'm

relying on my memory with these, so I hope I got it right.

Which was a bigger ratings success, the half hour show (Alfred Hitchcock Presents) or the Alfred Hitchcock Hour?

This is all the Wiki page for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" says about his ratings, DGF...

-----------------------------------------

Alfred Hitchcock Presents finished at #6 in the Nielsen ratings for the 1956–57 season, and at #12 in 1957–58, #24 in 1958–59 and #25 in 1959–60.[4]

Originally 25 minutes per episode, the series was expanded to 50 minutes in 1962 and retitled The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Hitchcock directed 17 of the 268 filmed episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and one of the 50-minute episodes, "I Saw the Whole Thing" with John Forsythe.[citation needed] The last new episode aired on June 26, 1965, and the series continued to be popular in syndication for decades.

--------------------------------------------

However, after checking at another website which lists the Nielsen Ratings top 20 programs each television season during the 1960s, his hour-long program is never among those listed.

(...and so which leads me to the conclusion that his ratings continued to lower the longer his program was aired)

One of my favorites of the original half hour shows is the Hitchcock directed "One More Mile To Go", and where David Wayne kills his nagging wife with a fireplace poker during a heated argument, and then places her body in the trunk of his car with designs to dump it in a lake some distance from their home. The tension comes via a well-intentioned but bothersome motorcycle cop played by Steve Brodie who insists Wayne fix the intermittently faulty tail light on his car.

That was a good one. All the suspense of trying to get that

taillight fixed, etc. There's all kinds of mayhem going on, but

the cop is always turning up to bother Wayne about the taillight.

This is all the Wiki page for "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" says about his ratings, DGF...

Alfred Hitchcock Presents finished at #6 in the Nielsen ratings for the 1956–57 season, and at #12 in 1957–58, #24 in 1958–59 and #25 in 1959–60.[4]

Originally 25 minutes per episode, the series was expanded to 50 minutes in 1962 and retitled The Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Hitchcock directed 17 of the 268 filmed episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and one of the 50-minute episodes, "I Saw the Whole Thing" with John Forsythe.[citation needed] The last new episode aired on June 26, 1965, and the series continued to be popular in syndication for decades.

However, after checking at another website which lists the Nielsen Ratings top 20 programs each television season during the 1960s, his hour-long program is never among those listed.

(...and so which leads me to the conclusion that his ratings continued to lower the longer his program was aired)

That is true of just about any program. Except for "Seinfeld", which continued to build for several years.

That is true of just about any program. Except for "Seinfeld", which continued to build for several years.

As I recall, the ratings for "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "M*A*S*H" would grow over the years too.

(...and I'm sure there has to be more than few others, but these two examples would be the ones that come immediately to mind)

Burying one's significant other was a wellworn plot. I believe

I mentioned the one where John Williams was the culprit. In

Bob's case I believe he was a college prof married to Cara

Williams, who was cheating on him. Yeah, big surprise. I'm

relying on my memory with these, so I hope I got it right.

Yes, I've seen the John Williams one. Not sure about Bob and Cara Williams. She was in several episodes too, over the years....

I recently saw one which was new to me: The Opportunity with Richard Long and Coleen Gray.  It was really pretty creepy and I suspect it has a small fanbase among devotees of bondage and such.  Anyone else know this one?

I recently saw one which was new to me: The Opportunity with Richard Long and Coleen Gray.  It was really pretty creepy and I suspect it has a small fanbase among devotees of bondage and such.  Anyone else know this one?

Yes, I've seen that one. I've forgotten the storyline, but I saw it not too long ago.......

I tried searching and couldnt find any info either on ratings. I do remember the show changed networks in its last season (I think from CBS to NBC) so the writing was probably on the wall. Anthology series were falling out of favor at the time (I think AH was one of the last ones running) And there was a campaign against violence on tv going on during that time also. So it was probably a combination of all 3 factors.

I did find the top 30 rated shows for 62-64 and the AH Hour didnt make the cut for any of the years it was on. How far down it was for any of those years I dont know.  But it sounds like it was just getting by. But of course a 20 share back then would be gangbusters now.......(the top 30 cut was around 22 share for those years).

• Like 1

Yes, I've seen the John Williams one. Not sure about Bob and Cara Williams. She was in several episodes too, over the years....

He had a group of male friends who knew his wife was cheating

on him and gave each other knowing looks while his back was

turned. He was supposedly putting in something in the basement,

and that was where the wife ended up. I'm pretty sure that Cara

Williams played the wife. I'll have to check that one out. The idea

of those two being married is a mystery in itself.

I think after the changover to the hour format and then having had

ten seasons of episodes probably was enough and folks weren't

watching the program like they once did. Ten seasons is a good

run for any TV program

I've probably seen it. But all those burials in the basement episodes all run together for me. (LOL). Hopefully it'll turn up on AntennaTV and I can refresh my memory!

He had a group of male friends who knew his wife was cheating

on him and gave each other knowing looks while his back was

turned. He was supposedly putting in something in the basement,

and that was where the wife ended up. I'm pretty sure that Cara

Williams played the wife. I'll have to check that one out. The idea

of those two being married is a mystery in itself.

I think after the changover to the hour format and then having had

ten seasons of episodes probably was enough and folks weren't

watching the program like they once did. Ten seasons is a good

run for any TV program

Plus the fact that 10 seasons back then was like 20 seasons NOW. They aired almost twice as many episodes per season during those times.

Plus the fact that 10 seasons back then was like 20 seasons NOW. They ran almost twice as many episodes per season during those times.

Yep. I think AHP started out with 39 episodes per season. I

guess if you missed an episode, you might be out of luck in

seeing the rerun.

It was Cara Willaims who played the wife of Professor Rankin,

Robert Emhardt, in the episode titled De Mortuis. Henry Jones

played one of the friends.

Yep. I think AHP started out with 39 episodes per season. I

guess if you missed an episode, you might be out of luck in

seeing the rerun.

It was Cara Willaims who played the wife of Professor Rankin,

Robert Emhardt, in the episode titled De Mortuis. Henry Jones

played one of the friends.

Yeah, back then you took your chances if you missed an episode. Shows ran till the end of May, starting in early Sept. and with few pre-empts. I'm pretty sure I've seen that episode. Didnt it have something to do with her hat being found in a trashcan? I just dont remember Cara Williams being in it. I remember the professor part.

Yeah, back then you took your chances if you missed an episode. Shows ran till the end of May, starting in early Sept. and with few pre-empts. I'm pretty sure I've seen that episode. Didnt it have something to do with her hat being found in a trashcan? I just dont remember Cara Williams being in it. I remember the professor part.

Maybe she turned up in a trashcan in another episode. He was

supposedly putting a new oil burner or something in the basement,

but that was just pretend. Naughty professor.

Maybe she turned up in a trashcan in another episode. He was

supposedly putting a new oil burner or something in the basement,

but that was just pretend. Naughty professor.

LOL. Hopefully this will be broadcast soon as now it's bugging me!! I remember one with a college professor and some of his students going through his trash, but maybe that was another episode........