DownGoesFrazier

Husband and Wife

843 posts in this topic

Thank you, Lav.

Next:

She was a foreign actress in Hollywood.

He was one of America's greatest all-around performers, including Hollywood movies and Broadway shows.

Hint: He was a Tony Award nominee.

On 10/18/2017 at 6:26 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint: He was a Tony Award nominee.

On 10/24/2017 at 7:11 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2-- When most people think of the husband, they think of  him first as a singer.

Hint#3-- However, a lot of his fans preferred his dancing.

Yes. Sammy and Mai  were one of the most famous and attractive showbiz couples from my childhood. But I always get some excuse to use Sammy in a question because he's my favorite performer. LOL

Terrence, you're on!

He:  Began his career as a contract player at a major studio.  During those years, he appeared with practically every star of the studio.  His acting triumph was as the star of a very popular religious movie.

She:  Began her career at another studio, appearing in some high-profile movies there.  She later was under contract at the same studio where her husband worked.  After their divorce, they actually appeared together in  an ensemble cast of a drama.

On 11/1/2017 at 12:26 PM, Terrence1 said:

He:  Began his career as a contract player at a major studio.  During those years, he appeared with practically every star of the studio.  His acting triumph was as the star of a very popular religious movie.

She:  Began her career at another studio, appearing in some high-profile movies there.  She later was under contract at the same studio where her husband worked.  After their divorce, they actually appeared together in  an ensemble cast of a drama.

Maybe Jeffrey Hunter and Barbara Rush ??

Yes Jeffrey was so handsome and Barbara was beautiful

She took over the role of an actress in a Broadway show so that actress could marry this actor. Years later, the actress and actor divorced and the actress who took over the role for the actress married the same actor. Actor and the actress who later married him ?? 

*(extra for the actress who left the role to marry the actor in the first place)

Announcer gave it away for me that's - Paul Douglas and Jan Sterling

The other wife and actress was Virginia Field

Jan was nominated for The High and The Mighty, but I thought she should have won the Oscar for in Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole.

39 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Announcer gave it away for me that's - Paul Douglas and Jan Sterling

The other wife and actress was Virginia Field

Jan was nominated for The High and The Mighty, but I thought she should have won the Oscar for in Billy Wilder's Ace in the Hole.

Yes, Paul Douglas and Jan Sterling :) Jan took over the role that Virginia Fields had in the 1941 Broadway show Panama Hattie so that Virginia could marry Paul Douglas. A few years later after Fields and Douglas divorced, Jan and Paul were married. I love Paul Douglas, he passed when he was 50, so sad. Jan was great in Ace In the Hole and I agree with you. Good work Princess, your thread.

Both husband and wife started in Vaudeville and silent movies, and then went on to work successfully in Talkies. Unfortunately both died of cancer also. Their marriage had an extraordinary aspect to it that has been duly noted in Hollywood histories.