DownGoesFrazier

Husband and Wife

966 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2018 at 1:33 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Miles-- You really did a good job here.  These two have escaped most people's radar.

I had completely forgotten both of them until I came across something to do with an Arkansas Traveler.

These two were stars on The Late Late Show. Judy would come on in Republic pictures with her pigtails flying up.

Since you are a fan of Republic, I suppose you're quite familiar with her.

But I could never make it past the introduction of the Late Late Show so these two have been in the back of my mind for decades.

Bob Burns would be a forerunner of somebody like Andy Griffith and Judy of course was the Forerunner of somebody like Minnie Pearl.

BTW-- I used to watch Diana Canova on "Soap".  She really does look like her mother.

Miles, thorough job and congratulations on sneaking in a picture of Roy Rogers-- the lady with the diamond bracelet is that Dale?

Miles, it's your thread

While hosting her own musical variety TV series in the 1960's, this popular singer/actress had as a guest a woman with whom she had an ex-husband in common.  Neither of them mentioned that the ex was working down the hall as a band leader for a popular comedian's TV show.  Can you name the three of them?

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

While hosting her own musical variety TV series in the 1960's, this popular singer/actress had as a guest a woman with whom she had an ex-husband in common.  Neither of them mentioned that the ex was working down the hall as a band leader for a popular comedian's TV show.  Can you name the three of them?

Judy Garland had her own variety tv show, Martha Raye was a guest and both had been married to David Rose who was the musical director on the Red Skelton Show  ?????

• Like 1

That's correct, Lavender.   

hqdefault.jpg 

david-rose2_moz.jpg 

actress-martha-raye-and-his-husband-composer-david-rose-attend-an-in-picture-id553931663?s=612x612 

I wonder if that's the same jacket on David in the two photos.

David divorced Martha about two months before he married Judy.

Nice work, Lavender.  It's your thread now.

Thanks Miles, good question you posted. When I was a little girl, one of my favorite records was one Andre Previn and David Rose made together called Like Young, I loved that song and still do :)

next

He was a TV and film producer. He produced a a very popular hit TV show and then the movie version.

She was an actress. She was in some very famous films. One of her roles was in a series of films in the 1930's and 1940's

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

She played a sister in one of the most famous films ever made

I think you're talking about Ann Rutherford- - Andy Hardy's old wanna be girlfriend.  I recently saw her on an old Perry Mason.  I would have recognized her anywhere.

Her husband was William Dozier who produced Batman-- I had to look him up because I never watched that show.

10 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I think you're talking about Ann Rutherford- - Andy Hardy's old wanna be girlfriend.  I recently saw her on an old Perry Mason.  I would have recognized her anywhere.

Her husband was William Dozier who produced Batman-- I had to look him up because I never watched that show.

Correct Princess Ann Rutherford and William Dozier. You may not have watched Batman on tv but millions did.It had a cult following and was a huge hit. The guest stars each week on this silly show made watching it possible. Each week Burgess Meredith or Anne Baxter or Cesar Romero, Vincent Price, Ethel Merman, Van Johnson, Cliff Robertson, Victor Buono. Vincent Price, just to name some of the classic film stars we love would show up as a villain. Your thread Princess

He was a top show biz agent and a Broadway producer.

She was an international socialite who whirled and worked in the top Western governmental circles.

Hint#1) The husband had previously been married to a  Golden Age movie star.

Hint#2) The wife had previously been married to the son of a famous world leader.

On 6/16/2018 at 1:31 AM, Princess of Tap said:

He was a top show biz agent and a Broadway producer.

She was an international socialite who whirled and worked in the top Western governmental circles.

On 6/16/2018 at 8:14 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1) The husband had previously been married to a  Golden Age movie star.

Hint#2) The wife had previously been married to the son of a famous world leader.

Hint#3) The husband had a child from a previous marriage who wrote a famous memoir.

Hint#4) The wife had a previous husband who wrote an important memoir as well.

8 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#5) The husband was born in the United States.

Hint#6) The wife was born in England.

OY VEY!   I am getting senile, I should have known this after the first clue. It's Pamela Harriman and Leland Hayward. Many years ago I read Haywire, Brooke Hayward's book. Just forgot what I knew for along time. I'll let you tell us about her many affairs, marriages and loves. She was a truly fascinating woman

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

OY VEY!   I am getting senile, I should have known this after the first clue. It's Pamela Harriman and Leland Hayward. Many years ago I read Haywire, Brooke Hayward's book. Just forgot what I knew for along time. I'll let you tell us about her many affairs, marriages and loves. She was a truly fascinating woman

Lav, Great job. I got ""Haywire " in some kind of book of the month club and I really enjoyed it. But, that must have been more than 20 years ago!

Yes and Pamela was the perfect Ambassador to France, considering her background. LOL

It's all yours--

Thanks Princess, good choice for a question :)

next

She was a comic actress, known especially for her work on tv, theater and  a few films

He was not a leading man, a support actor who was seen often on tv especially in the 1950's and '60's. He appeared in an iconic sci-fi film but also appeared in comedies, dramas, musicals. He also did stage work.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks Princess, good choice for a question :)

next

She was a comic actress, known especially for her work on tv, theater and  a few films

He was not a leading man, a support actor who was seen often on tv especially in the 1950's and '60's. He appeared in an iconic sci-fi film but also appeared in comedies, dramas, musicals. He also did stage work.

Lav, and this is a great choice for a 1950s couple.

Imogene Coca was the legendary female comic star of Sid Caesar's "Your Show of Shows" for which she won an Emmy Award,  along with five nominations. She also starred  on NBC in a TV sitcom, "Grindl".

Her husband was the comedic actor King Donovan. King was well-known to TV audiences on "The Bob Cummings Show"/" Love That Bob".  But, the actor was famous for his appearances in two iconic 50s movies: "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and " Singin' in the Rain ".

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Lav, and this is a great choice for a 1950s couple.

Imogene Coca was the legendary female comic star of Sid Caesar's "Your Show of Shows" for which she won an Emmy Award,  along with five nominations. She also starred  on NBC in a TV sitcom, "Grindl".

Her husband was the comedic actor King Donovan. King was well-known to TV audiences on "The Bob Cummings Show"/" Love That Bob".  But, the actor was famous for his appearances in two iconic 50s movies: "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers and " Singin' in the Rain ".

Thanks Princess You got that in about a minute Princess. Yes, Imogene Coca and King Donovan. They had a long a happy marriage and I thought that knowing they were married was worth knowing. It's back to you ma'dere :)

• Thanks 1

She was a beautiful movie star who was also respected as a versatile actress. On her resume she has iconic movies-- from several genres--Broadway and classic TV.

He was a prolific, veteran producer from the silents on up to the 60s. He produced movies for every major studio and produced for the top silent movie star, as well as the top early 60s movie star.

The couple had two children together.

On 6/30/2018 at 5:27 PM, Princess of Tap said:

She was a beautiful movie star who was also respected as a versatile actress. On her resume she has iconic movies-- from several genres--Broadway and classic TV.

He was a prolific, veteran producer from the silents on up to the 60s. He produced movies for every major studio and produced for the top silent movie star, as well as the top early 60s movie star.

The couple had two children together.

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#1) He produced one of the most talked-about movies of the 1960s.

Hint#2) The wife co-starred in iconic classic films with Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn, and Edward G Robinson.

2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Could it be Walter Wanger and Joan Bennett?

It could be and it is!

Joan co-starred in one of my favorite movies with Spencer Tracy, "Father of the Bride".

Also co-starring in that movie was Elizabeth Taylor.

Elizabeth Taylor went on to star in the most talked-about film of the 1960s, "Cleopatra", which was produced by Walter Wanger.

A couple steeped in Hollywood Legend - - so it was very easy for you,  Miles.

As always, Miles, it's a pleasure doing business with a man who knows all about the movies.

Thanks, Princess.  Now, this next couple should not be too difficult.

He:  Started in silent films in bit parts and eventually moved into major roles.   He played both leading men and support players.  He could be the hero or the villain.  He specialized in playing Latin Lover types early on and even had a turn as The Cisco Kid in a series of films.  He worked with the top directors, including John Huston, Vincente Minnelli, and John Ford.  He had a very long acting career.

She: Was part of an acting family.  Both parents were stage performers and her two siblings also acted in films.  She also started in silents, but became a star in sound pictures in the early and mid-1930's.  One of her biggest hit movies had her playing a waitress who marries a film star and becomes a celebrated actress while the husband's career flounders.  She was a beautiful leading lady working with the likes of Cary Grant and Clark Gable.  At one time she was one of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood. 

Who is this couple?

45 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Princess.  Now, this next couple should not be too difficult.

He:  Started in silent films in bit parts and eventually moved into major roles.   He played both leading men and support players.  He could be the hero or the villain.  He specialized in playing Latin Lover types early on and even had a turn as The Cisco Kid in a series of films.  He worked with the top directors, including John Huston, Vincente Minnelli, and John Ford.  He had a very long acting career.

She: Was part of an acting family.  Both parents were stage performers and her two siblings also acted in films.  She also started in silents, but became a star in sound pictures in the early and mid-1930's.  One of her biggest hit movies had her playing a waitress who marries a film star and becomes a celebrated actress while the husband's career flounders.  She was a beautiful leading lady working with the likes of Cary Grant and Clark Gable.  At one time she was one of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood. 

Who is this couple?

This is a great segue--

Joan Bennett's sister, the blond Constance Bennett,  was married to the irrepressibly, romantically, darkly handsome Mexican actor Gilbert Roland.

What a gorgeously contrasting looking couple.

Constance Bennett is known for "Topper" co-starring with Cary Grant and Roland Young.

Gilbert Roland is known for Vincente Minnelli's "The Bad and The Beautiful".

The couple had two daughters.