DownGoesFrazier

Husband and Wife

1,039 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This will be three couples with the same wife.

This movie star actress was married to a famous Hollywood director, a famous Hollywood actor and finally an equally famous Hollywood agent / producer.

But the Hollywood scuttlebutt said the love of her life was a man who she never married who, reportedly, never stopped loving her either.

What an extraordinary woman!

When you identify this actress, also link her films with some of these men in her life.

On 2/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint:  The actress also had a notable Broadway stage career.

Hint#2--This movie star actress was great but not necessarily a household name.

Could it be Rita Hayworth?  She was married to Movie Director/Actor Orson Welles, to Movie Actor Dick Haymes, and movie producer James Hill.  Movies associated with a couple of the men include Welles' LADY FROM SHANGHAI and Hill's SEPARATE TABLES.

Victor Mature thought he would marry Hayworth in the early days of World War 2, but when he was called to duty, she met Orson Welles and quickly fell in love with him.  Mature pined for her for a long time.

1 hour ago, Arturo said:

Could it be Rita Hayworth?  She was married to Movie Director/Actor Orson Welles, to Movie Actor Dick Haymes, and movie producer James Hill.  Movies associated with a couple of the men include Welles' LADY FROM SHANGHAI and Hill's SEPARATE TABLES.

Victor Mature thought he would marry Hayworth in the early days of World War 2, but when he was called to duty, she met Orson Welles and quickly fell in love with him.  Mature pined for her for a long time.

Rita certainly had her pick of the men-- but if Rita had been the woman in question I think I would have intimated something about the great Aga Khan.

Rita Hayworth is not as well remembered as Marilyn Monroe, but the actress I'm thinking of is almost in public obscurity today.

Plus the other hints had to do with one of the husbands being * an agent and

that the movie star was a well-known and respect * actress on the Broadway stage..

Hint#3-- 2 of the husbands have won Oscars and the 1 man in her life that she never married also was an Oscar winner.

4 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Princess, time for another clue, thanks

Hint#4-- This beautiful actress ended up with a disability, which made her stage career very difficult.

Hint#5-- The actress' son was a producer of one of the most iconic American films of the Woodstock /Vietnam era in the late 60s.

We can add that this movie starred the son of one of the actress' ex-husbands.

On 2/4/2019 at 6:44 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#2--This movie star actress was great but not necessarily a household name.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#5-- The actress' son was a producer of one of the most iconic American films of the Woodstock /Vietnam era in the late 60s.

Hinr#6-- This actress never won the Oscar but she was nominated once for an Academy Award.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:58 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Hint#4-- This beautiful actress ended up with a disability, which made her stage career very difficult.

On 2/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, Princess of Tap said:

On 2/23/2019 at 11:48 AM, Princess of Tap said:

Hinr#6-- This actress never won the Oscar but she was nominated once for an Academy Award.

Hint#7-- This actress' daughter wrote an autobiographical book about herself and her famous parents.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:53 PM, Princess of Tap said:

This will be three couples with the same wife.

This movie star actress was married to a famous Hollywood director, a famous Hollywood actor and finally an equally famous Hollywood agent / producer.

But the Hollywood scuttlebutt said the love of her life was a man who she never married who, reportedly, never stopped loving her either.

What an extraordinary woman!

When you identify this actress, also link her films with some of these men in her life.

Margaret Sullavan was married to Leland Hayward, William Wyler and Henry Fonda. James Stewart was the love of her life. Some of the films she was in with Stewart were They were in the Little Shop Around The Corner, the Mortal Storm, The Shopworn Angel. She was in the Moon's Our Home with Fonda. Peter, Henry's son was the star of Easy Rider and Brooke Hayward wrote Haywire ( I read the book years ago) ?????????????????

10 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Margaret Sullavan was married to Leland Hayward, William Wyler and Henry Fonda. James Stewart was the love of her life. Some of the films she was in with Stewart were They were in the Little Shop Around The Corner, the Mortal Storm, The Shopworn Angel. She was in the Moon's Our Home with Fonda. Peter, Henry's son was the star of Easy Rider and Brooke Hayward wrote Haywire ( I read the book years ago) ?????????????????

Lav, yes I wrote this one for you. But apparently it's been languishing on the second page.

I remember I got the book in some book club years ago. Also heard that, Margaret's son produced a made-for-tv movie about it.

I'm glad you got around to it and I hope you enjoyed it.  It's your turn.....

Thanks Princess.  She had a sad life.

next

This beautiful actress was married 3 times.  One of the marriages was short lived and the question has nothing to do with him. However, the other 2 marriages were to men who were high powered in the film industry. One of those 2 would not necessarily be known to us but the other marriage was to a man whose name is most likely familiar to film and non-film lovers alike. That husband would be the one the question is about. 

Some of the players the actress co-starred with were Burt Lancaster, Spencer Tracy. Marilyn Monroe, Clifton Webb.

Husband and Wife ??

This would be the beautiful Jean Peters and the powerful Howard Hughes.

She was in:

APACHE (1954) with Burt Lancaster

BROKEN LANCE (1954) with Spencer Tracy

AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL (1951) and NIAGARA (1953) with Marilyn Monroe.  Also different segments of O'HENRY'S FULL HOUSE (1952)

THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN (1954) with Clifton Webb.

2 hours ago, Arturo said:

This would be the beautiful Jean Peters and the powerful Howard Hughes.

She was in:

APACHE (1954) with Burt Lancaster

BROKEN LANCE (1954) with Spencer Tracy

AS YOUNG AS YOU FEEL (1951) and NIAGARA (1953) with Marilyn Monroe.  Also different segments of O'HENRY'S FULL HOUSE (1952)

THREE COINS IN TH3 FOUNTAIN (1952) with Clifton Webb.

Correct Arturo. Jean Peters and Howard Hughes are the couple. Good work, your thread

This Hollywood couple had been in a film together nearly 10 years before they actually married.  She basically gave up her career after marriage.  He continued making movies, until successfully transitioning to tv.  It was the second marriage for each, and they stayed married until his death.

He was a versatile leading man who had been in films since the mid-30s; she was usually in musicals.

She was a stage actress when they were first married.  When she became a movie actress, she often played wealthy, high society types.  In the 1950's, she appeared on many TV shows.  In the sixties, she became a regular on a popular comedy series.  

He was a major character actor for many years.  He played crooked lawyers, crime bosses, and con men.  He was quite versatile.  He also played businessmen, judges, and politicians.  One of his best known roles was as a legendary frontiersman.  

Their marriage was the first for each.  He would be married three more times.  She would not be married again, although she was engaged to another actor when that actor was killed in a car accident.

Do you know them?  

In one of his best known movies, he replaced an actor who died of a heart attack while filming.  Some years later, he also died of a heart attack while filming a movie in Japan and was replaced by another actor.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:35 AM, MilesArcher said:

She was a stage actress when they were first married.  When she became a movie actress, she often played wealthy, high society types.  In the 1950's, she appeared on many TV shows.  In the sixties, she became a regular on a popular comedy series.  

He was a major character actor for many years.  He played crooked lawyers, crime bosses, and con men.  He was quite versatile.  He also played businessmen, judges, and politicians.  One of his best known roles was as a legendary frontiersman.  

Their marriage was the first for each.  He would be married three more times.  She would not be married again, although she was engaged to another actor when that actor was killed in a car accident.

Do you know them?  

Louis Calhern and Natalie Schafer. I think his first marriage was to Ilka Chase and Natalie was his 3rd marriage, but Natalie fits the tv clue, Gilligan's Island and she was engaged to Charles Butterworth when he was killed in a car crash. Louis Calhern died of a heart attack while filming The Tea House of the August Moon and he did play Buffalo Bill in Annie Get Your Gun ??

Yes, those are the two.  They were married from 1933 to 1942, so almost all of her film and television career came after they were divorced.  Louis Calhern replaced Frank Morgan as Buffalo Bill in "Annie Get Your Gun" when Morgan suffered a fatal heart attack.  In "Executive Suite", Calhern played a businessman who tried to take advantage of the situation created when the chief executive of a company died from a heart attack.  When filming "Tea House Of The August Moon" Calhern died of a heart attack and was replaced by Paul Ford.  

I have to say that when watching "Gilligan's Island", I had no idea that Natalie Schafer had ever been married to Louis Calhern. 

Good work, Lavender.  It's your turn now. 

Thanks Miles

He was a very famous director, she's an actress who was in a famous sci-fi film and she was also in a popular teen type movie. He was married 5 times, this was her first marriage, they divorced and she's still married to her 2nd husband. Director and actress??

11 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

She guest starred in a 2 part famous episode of a 1960's hit tv show

Well, that sounds like Julie Adams in that two-part Perry Mason where he loses the case initially.

I know you're looking for Ray Danton and I know he directed a fair amount of TV,  but I would hesitate to call him  "a very famous director". But maybe I'm just prejudiced because I didn't like him in  "Jack Legs Diamond". LOL

Lav, you're on a roll!