Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Steve Israel

5 posts in this topic

TCM's next guest programmer will be politician Steve Israel. His selections are airing on Tuesday November 15, 2016:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-16%2Bat%2B6.51.0

TCM's next guest programmer will be politician Steve Israel. His selections are airing on Tuesday November 15, 2016:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-16%2Bat%2B6.51.0

Interesting, especially after intellectual right-wing writers Jonah Goldberg & Leon Wieseltier as co-guest programmers in October, to have Democrat congressman Israel as guest programmer. Now that Ben Mankiewicz has assumed the hosting duties for this series, it seems that the guest programmers are becoming increasingly political.

If this trend continues, I'm pleased with it, for a couple of reasons. For one thing I think that film can be a powerful way of allowing us to understand why people see the world in different ways. Secondly, I also think that politicizing the guest programmer series will allow host Mankiewicz to fully come into his own and show TCM fans how his hosting style is substantively different from -- and, arguably, in some ways superior to -- Robert Osborne's. That's my take.

Interesting, especially after intellectual right-wing writers Jonah Goldberg & Leon Wieseltier as co-guest programmers in October, to have Democrat congressman Israel as guest programmer. Now that Ben Mankiewicz has assumed the hosting duties for this series, it seems that the guest programmers are becoming increasingly political.

If this trend continues, I'm pleased with it, for a couple of reasons. For one thing I think that film can be a powerful way of allowing us to understand why people see the world in different ways. Secondly, I also think that politicizing the guest programmer series will allow host Mankiewicz to fully come into his own and show TCM fans how his hosting style is substantively different from -- and, arguably, in some ways superior to -- Robert Osborne's. That's my take.

Your thoughts are similar to mine as I looked at Israel's picks yesterday. Even if Osborne returns to the airwaves, it looks like the guest programmer series is now Ben's "baby" and I think we can expect him to bring in more political type guests. Though to be fair, I am sure Ben will pick some entertainment figures, too.

I am wondering if some of the long-time TCM viewers will complain about the guest programmer segments getting too political. My only concern is that these guests not pick the same films-- it would get fairly monotonous if they keep choosing MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON or THE CANDIDATE. 

Here's a brief programming article about Steve Israel as November's guest programmer: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1267790%7C0/Guest-Programmer-Steve-Israel-11-15.html

The congressman also picked MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE, which is not listed here. Israel calls MR. BLANDINGS his "safe movie, my retreat...so simple and beautiful."

Here's a brief programming article about Steve Israel as November's guest programmer: http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1267790%7C0/Guest-Programmer-Steve-Israel-11-15.html

The congressman also picked MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE, which is not listed here. Israel calls MR. BLANDINGS his "safe movie, my retreat...so simple and beautiful."

Thanks for mentioning this. It's hard to tell sometimes if they are selecting three films or four films. I assumed he was sticking with the political-themed stuff. Glad to see he likes light-hearted stories as well.