vintagesnaps

School's in!

58 posts in this topic

Rich: Honestly not sure where to post this as I don't have time to participtate in the other newsgroups. But just got this on NEWLY FOUND Marx Brothers:

Steve

This is great stuff! For anyone in the New York City area, check out this link! Marx Brothers festival next week! And a great panel on Vaudeville 101!

Thanks for letting all of us know!!

• Like 1

This might be the place for this. It would be nice to say something about cartoons. Slapstick might have been week in live action slapstick after the war but strong in WB and Disney cartoons.

Hey Hoosierwood, I love animated slapstick! Looking at some of the live action movies you can see a lot of influence between the two. And then that delightful hybrid: Who Killed Roger Rabbit? If you get a chance to watch The Good Humor Man you will see that a lot of the gags are fast moving and very cartoon-like. These techniques continue in many of the best LA comedies.

Hi Rich!  I don't have cable (hence no TCM) and I don't do twitter. So I'm using this message board to say that I just finished the course and got 19 out of 20 on my final! I'm a "happy camper". (I didn'y know how else to reach out to you!) 

This was my first course like this. I'd love to see you partner with TCM on a course on either Pre-1940 film musicals (like Vitaphones - which TCM is going to  celebrate for a full day on 12/5/16) or Pre-Code films (of which TCM has MANY in their catalog).

I hope it won't be long before the next course!

Thanks again.

Hi Rich!  I don't have cable (hence no TCM) and I don't do twitter. So I'm using this message board to say that I just finished the course and got 19 out of 20 on my final! I'm a "happy camper". (I didn'y know how else to reach out to you!) 

This was my first course like this. I'd love to see you partner with TCM on a course on either Pre-1940 film musicals (like Vitaphones - which TCM is going to  celebrate for a full day on 12/5/16) or Pre-Code films (of which TCM has MANY in their catalog).

I hope it won't be long before the next course!

Thanks again.

Thanks! Glad you are going to get your Certificate, and that you liked taking an online course. Hopefully it won't be too long till the next one!

Little late to say this, but I too also finished the course, or more specifically, aced it. I am looking forward to getting my certificate and doing another online course with TCM and Ball State in the future.

Thanks so much Dr. Edwards for this month of fun!

Just in case others are interested and didn't know it. There is another "film course" being offered (starting in 2 weeks) via Canvas. It is "Westerns Part 1". (A different teacher - not Rich. I did sign up - though it's not a subject of great interest.). It's the ONLY film course being offered (bummer). 

I'm sooo sorry I missed Noir course. Really hoping that, Rich, maybe you can do a "pre-code movies" course or one on EARLY musical shorts (TCM has lots of Vitaphones - and - in fact is having a Vitaphone "festival" in a few weeks coordinated by my friend Ron Hutchinson of the Vitaphone Project.

• Like 1