THE KID

NOMADS OF THE NORTH

THE PATCHWORK GIRL OF OZ

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

THE PRISONER OF ZENDA
STEAMBOAT BILL JR.

TRUE HEART SUSIE

WAY DOWN EAST

I absolutely love the intertitles at the beginning of Orphans of the Storm. They talk about how some people were "otherwise moral men" except that they saw evil in anything that did not think the way that they did. There were many other wise sayings all throughout that film, its a very interesting movie. The sets are beautiful, and the camera movement and angles are captivating. I saw that one on your list, and it reminded me of how much I liked it.

• Like 2

I absolutely love the intertitles at the beginning of Orphans of the Storm. They talk about how some people were "otherwise moral men" except that they saw evil in anything that did not think the way that they did. There were many other wise sayings all throughout that film, its a very interesting movie. The sets are beautiful, and the camera movement and angles are captivating. I saw that one on your list, and it reminded me of how much I liked it.

Thanks for your comment Natalie. I haven't watched it yet, so I will make it a priority.

• Like 1

Some more I discovered on Amazon Prime:

SHORE LEAVE

THE EAGLE

THE BLASPHEMER

BLOOD AND SAND

THE GOOSE WOMAN

CAMPUS KNIGHTS

THE JOYLESS STREET

DON Q SON OF ZORRO

THE GARDEN OF EDEN

ROBIN HOOD

LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY

SPARROWS

THE LOVE LIGHT

THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD

POLLYANNA

THREE MUSKETEERS

THE BLACK PIRATE

• Like 1

Thanks for your comment Natalie. I haven't watched it yet, so I will make it a priority.

I think you'll like it; it has Lillian and Dorothy Gish playing sisters in the movie! It must have been fun for them.

• Like 1

I think you'll like it; it has Lillian and Dorothy Gish playing sisters in the movie! It must have been fun for them.

If I remember correctly, I saw the last half of it on TCM when Lillian Gish had a Summer Under the Stars day a few summers ago. But I need to watch it all the way through from start to glorious finish.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, I saw the last half of it on TCM when Lillian Gish had a Summer Under the Stars day a few summers ago. But I need to watch it all the way through from start to glorious finish.

I watched it for the first time not long ago when TCM showed it during silent Sunday. I really like Lillian Gish, so I was excited that they played that one. 

• Like 1

A few more silent classics were recently added on Amazon Prime:

THE AFFAIRS OF ANATOL (1921)..with Gloria Swanson

THE COUNTY FAIR (1920)..with Helen Jerome Eddy

THE GENERAL (1926)..with Buster Keaton

THE LOVE OF SUNYA (1927)..with Gloria Swanson

A ROMANCE OF THE REDWOODS (1917)..with Mary Pickford

STELLA MARIS (1918)..with Mary Pickford

• Like 3

These silent classics were added on Amazon Prime:

THE CHEAT (1915)..with Fannie Ward

ORPHANS OF THE STORM (1921)..with Lillian Gish

THE MARRIAGE CIRCLE (1924)..with Adolphe Menjou

A few more silent classics were recently added on Amazon Prime:

THE AFFAIRS OF ANATOL (1921)..with Gloria Swanson

THE COUNTY FAIR (1920)..with Helen Jerome Eddy

THE GENERAL (1926)..with Buster Keaton

THE LOVE OF SUNYA (1927)..with Gloria Swanson

A ROMANCE OF THE REDWOODS (1917)..with Mary Pickford

STELLA MARIS (1918)..with Mary Pickford

I LOVED Stella Maris (1918), the story of a girl who has grown up believing a fantasy and thinking the world is only goodness and must suddenly adapt to living in a cruel reality; a poor orphan who never received love or kindness realizes that there are good people in the world. It was the first Pickford film I ever saw and it made me adore Mary Pickford.

• Like 2

I LOVED Stella Maris (1918), the story of a girl who has grown up believing a fantasy and thinking the world is only goodness and must suddenly adapt to living in a cruel reality; a poor orphan who never received love or kindness realizes that there are good people in the world. It was the first Pickford film I ever saw and it made me adore Mary Pickford.

I was fortunate to see Stella Maris a few years ago at Cinevent, with live piano accompaniment by Philip Carli.  Mary was such a great actress that I completely forgot she was playing two parts.  Stunning piece of work.  Lucky you having this film as your first Pickford.

• Like 2

I was fortunate to see Stella Maris a few years ago at Cinevent, with live piano accompaniment by Philip Carli.  Mary was such a great actress that I completely forgot she was playing two parts.  Stunning piece of work.  Lucky you having this film as your first Pickford.

Oh, that sounds like so much fun, I'd love to see it with live accompaniment! I could hardly tell that it was Mary in both parts, her demeanor and looks were so totally different! I love that this movie was not just a sweet love story, it had its dark twists. What a climatic ending!

TCM recently showed Mary Pickford: Muse of the Movies and it was so interesting, I loved hearing Mary herself describe her introduction to movies and how it was to work with a legendary director like D. W. Griffith.

• Like 2

Thanks to TopBilled's posting, I discovered a group of silent films (including Stella Maris, and 3 Valentinos just for Natalie!) with wonderful piano scores composed and performed by Keith Taylor.  He understands the relationship between the visuals and music, unlike so many newer musicians, whose scores seem at odds with the films.

http://aakeithtaylor.com/DVDs.html

They can be viewed on YouTube, or purchased either through his site or Amazon.  The video quality is excellent. 

• Like 3

Thanks to TopBilled's posting, I discovered a group of silent films (including Stella Maris, and 3 Valentinos just for Natalie!) with wonderful piano scores composed and performed by Keith Taylor.  He understands the relationship between the visuals and music, unlike so many newer musicians, whose scores seem at odds with the films.

http://aakeithtaylor.com/DVDs.html

They can be viewed on YouTube, or purchased either through his site or Amazon.  The video quality is excellent. 

Those are very cool, I watched Son of The Sheik with his score today, and it was marvelous, thank you for the link! I especially liked his music for the scene where Ahmed (Rudy) sees Yasmin (Vilma Banky) from a balcony, and crushes the flower she throws to him, the music fit perfectly; that was always one of the most memorable scenes to me, so I was excited to hear the music went so well with it.

• Like 1

Some more I discovered on Amazon Prime:

SHORE LEAVE

THE EAGLE

THE BLASPHEMER

BLOOD AND SAND

THE GOOSE WOMAN

CAMPUS KNIGHTS

THE JOYLESS STREET

DON Q SON OF ZORRO

THE GARDEN OF EDEN

ROBIN HOOD

LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY

SPARROWS

THE LOVE LIGHT

THE THIEF OF BAGHDAD

POLLYANNA

THREE MUSKETEERS

THE BLACK PIRATE

I see a few Valentino films on there, I love The EagleLittle Annie Rooney (1925) with Mary Pickford was so sad, I think it's one of the saddest silent movies I've ever watched. Mary's expressions were so good, her facial expressions are so perfect, no dialogue is needed.

• Like 1