JakeHolman

HURRICANE MICHAEL

657 posts in this topic

Jake, I hope you and yours stay safe and dry. That latest model shows my area getting some rain, too, but nothing like the Gulf Coasters.

my sister and her husband just moved up here from biloxi ten months ago so they can relax and enjoy the weather fun from a safe environment.  :D

I watched the linked video, but haven't turned on the weather today. I gave his story the benefit of the doubt, but if it is fictional alarmist baloney, that's pretty sad.

I still don't want any physical harm or destruction of property for Jake or his family and friends, regardless of political differences.

• Like 1

I watched my local (out of nearby Gainesville, Florida) weather forecast, and they have the storm tracks moving up into south Florida, heading NNW. The meteorologist wasn't too worried at the moment, although he put up the obligatory "storm preparedness" checklists that they trot out whenever there's a chance of a hit. His weeklong forecast fails to mention anything storm related, though.

wcjb_5day.jpg?t=1472079536

We are in the peak of hurricane season up to Sept. 10th. I went through hurricane Katrina. So I fully understand what a hurricane can do and it is all about.

The link I posted was from what I believe to be a noted meteorologist from myfoxhurricane. com. He stated he has been tracking hurricanes since the sixties.  

If the path changes, the thread title can easily be changed or remain the same to follow other paths of a hurricane.

Let's hope no hurricane hits land and causes major damage and deaths this year.

Jake

We are in the peak of hurricane season up to Sept. 10th. I went through hurricane Katrina. So I fully understand what a hurricane can do and it is all about.

The link I posted was from what I believe to be a noted meteorologist from myfoxhurricane. com. He stated he has been tracking hurricanes since the sixties.  

If the path changes, the thread title can easily be changed or remain the same to follow other paths of a hurricane.

Jake

of course. :D

Jake

This thread should be deleted as alarmist and totally inappropriate, if not downright misleading.  There is no threat to Miss or Gulf Coast moreso than any other area of the country during hurricaine season.  The reports I have seen show a greater threat to the East Coast and Florida.

To me, it smacked of someone trying to gain sympathy or special consideration for his particular area when nothing has happened. It also was somewhat contradictory coming from someone who has repeatedly made negative comments or posts about so many groups of people. 

When damage occurs, it is the Federal Government that the people and the states look to for help.

Where is Jake's thread on the fires in California, the earthquakes in Italy, the flooding in Louisiana, the tornados in the midwest today?

Having lived in S.C. for over 60 years with 30 of them along the coast, I have experienced hurricaines.  I have friends and relatives who still live in those areas and have gone through them and are fearful of more.  

Hopefully, we can see a year without hurricaines or at least no severe damage or deaths. 

• Like 1

This thread should be deleted as alarmist and totally inappropriate, if not downright misleading.  There is no threat to Miss or Gulf Coast moreso than any other area of the country during hurricaine season.  The reports I have seen show a greater threat to the East Coast and Florida.

To me, it smacked of someone trying to gain sympathy or special consideration for his particular area when nothing has happened. It also was somewhat contradictory coming from someone who has repeatedly made negative comments or posts about so many groups of people. 

When damage occurs, it is the Federal Government that the people and the states look to for help.

Where is Jake's thread on the fires in California, the earthquakes in Italy, the flooding in Louisiana, the tornados in the midwest today?

Having lived in S.C. for over 60 years with 30 of them along the coast, I have experienced hurricaines.  I have friends and relatives who still live in those areas and have gone through them and are fearful of more.  

Hopefully, we can see a year without hurricaines or at least no severe damage or deaths. 

you should freeze some water in a container in your refrigerator freezer for when the power goes out to prolong the cold inside the refrigerator for as long as possible.

my brother-in-law is from gulf coast mississippi and that's what they do. :D

• Like 1

you should freeze some water in a container in your refrigerator freezer for when the power goes out to prolong the cold inside the refrigerator for as long as possible.

my brother-in-law is from gulf coast mississippi and that's what they do. :D

You guys don't know how lucky you are in that regard--

When a tornado hits you you can't find your house, much less your refrigerator.

I've been in six tornadoes during my lifetime and they are absolutely no fun.

But that's pretty much all we have in the midwest - - I hear they even have tornadoes now in these areas that have hurricanes as well.

Everybody down there, good luck and take care!

But that's pretty much all we have in the midwest - - I hear they even have tornadoes now in these areas that have hurricanes as well.

We've always had tornadoes here, along with hurricanes. I've been through a few of each, as well as wildfires. We just get to avoid the blizzards and earthquakes, but since fracking operations have started in my part of the state, we may get the latter now, too. <_<

You guys don't know how lucky you are in that regard--

When a tornado hits you you can't find your house, much less your refrigerator.

I've been in six tornadoes during my lifetime and they are absolutely no fun.

Everybody down there, good luck and take care!

from what I understand the best place to be in a tornado is below ground.

for the time being invest99L is a gonna drop some rain on puerto rico then move into a more condusive area for development.

then...let the fun begin. :)

from what I understand the best place to be in a tornado is below ground.

Make certain to locate and design the underground shelter so it won't become your tomb if the entrance hatch is buried in debris.

854b1f7b0284b4c8a7d412adf94af0c5.jpg

During the 1950's 60' some prepared for the worst by constructing  nuclear fallout shelters They can come on handy as a tornado shelter (multipurpose).

Bomb_shelters_1_525.jpg

• Like 1

Make certain to locate and design the underground shelter so it won't become your tomb if the entrance hatch is buried in debris.

854b1f7b0284b4c8a7d412adf94af0c5.jpg

During the 1950's 60' some prepared for the worst by constructing  nuclear fallout shelters They can come on handy as a tornado shelter (multipurpose).

In addition make sure your neighbors have their own shelters are not like those folks from a Twilight Zone episode.  

PS:  I noticed that the moderator remove my post as well as some others.    All I did was ask a question about why someone made this thread political.   Oh well.   

People build HERE and complain when a hurricane or tsunami hits.  Go figure out human thinking! :huh:

manhattan_beach_beachfront_homes_720.jpg

Hmmmm...well ham, as I'm pretty sure I see the Palos Verdes peninsula sticking out into the Pacific Ocean up there in the above right background, I'm PRETTY sure that these houses are located in Manhattan Beach California, a now VERY tony suburb of Los Angeles. Yep, and in fact back when I lived close to this particular location, you could often see me riding my bicycle along that bike path over there on the immediate right of this picture.

(...and so, maybe you don't know this, but SoCal almost NEVER gets hit with any hurricanes like those poor folks do in that flat and humid and insect infested state of Florida, AND the last time a tsunami hit SoCal shores was I THINK over a century and a half ago)

Hmmmm...well ham, as I'm pretty sure I see the Palos Verdes peninsula sticking out to the Pacific Ocean up there in the above right background, I'm PRETTY sure that these house are located in Manhattan Beach California, a now VERY tony suburb of Los Angeles. Yep, and in fact back when I lived close to this particular location, you could often see me riding my bicycle along that bike path over there on the immediate right of this picture.

(...and so, maybe you don't know this, but SoCal almost NEVER gets hit with any hurricanes like those poor folks do in that flat and humid and insect infested state of Florida, AND the last time a tsunami hit SoCal shores was I THINK over a century and a half ago)

yeah, but what about them wildfires and precious little water. :lol:

yeah, but what about them wildfires and precious little water. :lol:

Well, NO place is "perfect" ya know, ND!

And while you may have a point about the recent droughts affecting the water supply of SoCal, Manhattan Beach is located miles and miles away from any forested areas where these wildfires happen.

(...nope, the primary "problem" with SoCal now days is that it's WAY too freakin' crowded with PEOPLE and the subsequent traffic congestion this causes, and who have come there to seek employment opportunities that still abound within The Golden State, and to bask in the year-round near perfect weather) 

Well, NO place is "perfect" ya know, ND!

And while you may have a point about the recent droughts affecting the water supply of SoCal, Manhattan Beach is located miles and miles away from any forested areas where these wildfires happen.

(...nope, the primary "problem" with SoCal now days is that it's WAY too freakin' crowded with PEOPLE and the subsequent traffic congestion it causes, and who have come there to seek employment opportunities that still abound within The Golden State, and to bask in the year-round near perfect weather) 

SoCal will never know the joy of a mandatory hurricane evacuation. :)

SoCal will never know the joy of a mandatory hurricane evacuation. :)

LOL

Can't argue with THAT at all!

Although when "The Big One" hits (I'm talkin' "earthquake" here of course) you MIGHT see reports of somethin' kind'a like that, anyway.

(...and which reminds me of all those times Northwest Airlines would send this ol' SoCal boy to Minneapolis for business during the dead of winter back there...I'd ask some of the locals why and how they put up with their crappy weather for six month every year, and they'd attempt to analogize the larger earthquakes California experiences for 90 seconds every 20 years or so WITH their yearly six month long crappy weather...I'd always reply, "Sorry, but there's no comparison to be made here using this these as your common "yardstick", dude!")