JakeHolman

HURRICANE MICHAEL

657 posts in this topic

Hmmmm...well ham, as I'm pretty sure I see the Palos Verdes peninsula sticking out into the Pacific Ocean up there in the above right background, I'm PRETTY sure that these house are located in Manhattan Beach California, a now VERY tony suburb of Los Angeles. Yep, and in fact back when I lived close to this particular location, you could often see me riding my bicycle along that bike path over there on the immediate right of this picture.

(...and so, maybe you don't know this, but SoCal almost NEVER gets hit with any hurricanes like those poor folks do in that flat and humid and insect infested state of Florida, AND the last time a tsunami hit SoCal shores was I THINK over a century and a half ago)

Lived in Semi Valley, Ca. for 2 years. Traffic was/is God awful. But now Houston and Dallas TX rival it. Never liked those earthquake tremors. Get no warning. With the population as large as it is a calamity is waiting to happen.

Lived in Semi Valley, Ca. for 2 years. Traffic was/is God awful. But now Houston and Dallas TX rival it. Never liked those earthquake tremors. Get no warning. With the population as large as it is a calamity is waiting to happen.

Yep, there's no doubt there will be causalities in significant numbers when that "Big One" hits alright, Jake. However, like Tokyo, another modern city with stringently enforced building codes designed to minimize the damage to person and property after such instances, it probably won't result in any kind of "total devastation" to the area.

(...AND of course to the utter dismay of some of those located in the heartland/Bible Belt areas of this great country of ours who often express the hope that someday "California with fall into the ocean"!!!)

LOL 

Isn't it Simi Valley? I never lived there, though, so I could be wrong.

Yeah Lawrence, it IS "Simi", not "Semi" Valley.

(...and perhaps best known/remembered for being the location in which a locally sellected jury there acquitted those LAPD officers for the beating of Rodney King, and thus sparking the L.A. Riots of 1992)

Make certain to locate and design the underground shelter so it won't become your tomb if the entrance hatch is buried in debris.

854b1f7b0284b4c8a7d412adf94af0c5.jpg

During the 1950's 60' some prepared for the worst by constructing  nuclear fallout shelters They can come on handy as a tornado shelter (multipurpose).

Bomb_shelters_1_525.jpg

There was an episode of Rockford where a guy hid from the bad guys in his.  They couldn't get it open.

During the 1950's 60' some prepared for the worst by constructing  nuclear fallout shelters They can come on handy as a tornado shelter (multipurpose).

Bomb_shelters_1_525.jpg

Yeah, occasionally for "other things" too...

Invest 99-L  What kind of name is that for a storm or hurricane?  :blink: 

Is one of the people that names them a stock market investor on the side, getting his wires crossed? :lol: 

Dargo--

My father had plans made up for one of those bomb shelters in our basement laundry room. But it never got off the planning stages.

However, one Sunny Sunday afternoon, my mother packed a picnic lunch and we all leisurely drove down the Conelrad exit route so that we would be prepared in case of a nuclear emergency.

You truly had to have lived in the fifties to understand something like that.LOL

• Like 1

Invest 99-L  What kind of name is that for a storm or hurricane?  :blink: 

Is one of the people that names them a stock market investor on the side, getting his wires crossed? :lol: 

Here ya go ham...this is from Wiki

An invest in meteorology (short for investigative area, alternatively written INVEST)[1] is a designated area of disturbed weather that is being monitored for tropical cyclone development. Invests are designated by three separate forecast centers: the National Hurricane CenterCentral Pacific Hurricane Center and Joint Typhoon Warning Center.

Designation[edit]

Invests are designated by three separate forecast centers: the National Hurricane CenterCentral Pacific Hurricane Center and Joint Typhoon Warning Center. The designation of a system as an invest does not necessarily correspond to any particular likelihood of development of the system into a tropical cyclone. Invests are numbered from 90 to 99, followed by L in the Atlantic, E and C in the East and Central Pacificrespectively, or W in the West Pacific;[2] the Joint Typhoon Warning Center also issues unofficial warnings for the Australian cyclone region, designating tropical invests with the "S" suffix when they form west of 135°E, and the "P" suffix when they form east of 135°E. Invests in the North Indian Ocean cyclone basin are also labelled by the JTWC, and are suffixed with "A" if they form in the Arabian Sea and with "B" if they form in the Bay of Bengal. Numbers are rotated within the season and are re-used as necessary (the next invest after 99 would be numbered 90). If the system develops into a tropical cyclone, it is reclassified as the next name/number on the list.

Thanks, I've never heard of the terminology (invest) in weather disturbances before.  Thought they ran out of names. :lol:

heck, I knew invest was short for investigation right off. :lol:

where is your intuitive foresight, some of you?

what else could it mean? :)

As I stated before, this thread should be removed or at least re-titled to heavy rains may hit NO & Gulf Coast in next week or so.  It is alarmist, incorrect and misleading.

Per NOAA (per Times-Picayune) as of 08/26, INVEST 99-L has only a 60% chance of becoming a tropical depression (not a hurricaine) in the next five days.

Residents of Florida and Eastern Gulf should "monitor the progress of this disturbance" at this point.

Good advice anytime during hurricaine season.

As I stated before, this thread should be removed or at least re-titled to heavy rains may hit NO & Gulf Coast in next week or so.  It is alarmist, incorrect and misleading.

Per NOAA (per Times-Picayune) as of 08/26, INVEST 99-L has only a 60% chance of becoming a tropical depression (not a hurricaine) in the next five days.

Residents of Florida and Eastern Gulf should "monitor the progress of this disturbance" at this point.

leave it alone. it could turn out to be prophetic.  

besides, it's got pazzazz. :)

leave it alone. it could turn out to be prophetic.  

OK, that means I can post ones titled:  Storms Target Charleston or Miami or Northeast because they may be "propethic?"

While Jake brags about living in Mississippi, he has never said which region or how long.

heck, I knew invest was short for investigation right off. :lol:

where is your intuitive foresight, some of you?

what else could it mean? :)

:huh:

Wonder if there's a 99K plan?

investing1.jpg

Investment.jpg

Or merge with "How's The Weather Where You Are?" thread.  

(Doubt if people are jumping out of 70 story buildings over this.) :P

It's coming, Invest 99L, run for the hills!!

running-away.jpg

• Like 2

I doan blame JakeHolman for his thread title. not at all.

most of today's weather forecaster types like to make out like they're hot bleep.

it's plain to see they put all their credibility on their computer models. they had all these projected tracks going over florida and then into the gulf...provided the depression developed promptly on THEIR know-it-all schedule...

and it didn't

it still might. they think they know so much but still screwed up on it's development window.

the old weather guys of yesteryear like the great john hope and others had alotta hands on non-computer forecasting experience.

OK, that means I can post ones titled:  Storms Target Charleston or Miami or Northeast because they may be "propethic?"

While Jake brags about living in Mississippi, he has never said which region or how long.

Yea, you can post whatever you wish.   Go for it.    

I doan blame JakeHolman for his thread title. not at all.

most of today's weather forecaster types like to make out like they're hot bleep.

it's plain to see they put all their credibility on their computer models. they had all these projected tracks going over florida and then into the gulf...provided the depression developed promptly on THEIR know-it-all schedule...

and it didn't

it still might. they think they know so much but still screwed up on it's development window.

the old weather guys of yesteryear like the great john hope and others had alotta hands on non-computer forecasting experience.

I told ya...

so I see this news headline this morning "invest 99 could explode into a hurricane."

"yes, it just took a little longer." -sally kellerman, 2nd stat trek pilot 'where no man has gone before

:)

I told ya...

so I see this news headline this morning "invest 99 could explode into a hurricane."

But it hasn't yet and it may take five more days and it could just as likely hit Forida, Alabama, Texas or Mexico - or even sputter out.

Could does not mean will, much less where it will hit.  Read your own posts.

Somewhere between 10 and 16 hurricaines may occur this year, do we need to start a thread for each one of them while they are still in the Atlantic and stating emphatically where they will hit?  NO!

There are all kinds of storms in the Atlantic, Carribean, Gulf, etc.  Do we need a thread with alarmist title for each of them? No.

I told ya...

"yes, it just took a little longer." -sally kellerman, 2nd stat trek pilot 'where no man has gone before

:)

If it does, will they give it a better name (like Zohar)? :wacko:

Won't get a name until it becomes a tropical storm and/or hurricaine.  Not either one yet, just a disturbance to watch.

FWIW,*IF* INVEST99-L becomes a tropical storm or hurricane,then Hermine will be its name. Hermine is next on the list of names for the 2016 season.

USA Today:  Tropical Depression 8 formed off the East Coast and could hit the Outer Banks by Tuesday.  It could develop into Tropical Storm Hermine.  Drenching rains and thunderstorms threaten the Carolina Coast.

Meanwhile Invest 99L has not developed into a tropical depresssion or hurricane yet, but has a 60-80% chance.  Could threaten Gulf Coast, Texas or Florida with heavy rains even if not a TD or hurricane.