JakeHolman

TROPICAL STORM BARRY

684 posts in this topic

I don't know if you have auto-correct or some kind of auto-complete function that sometimes throws up incorrect words, but you wanted "anecdotal" not "antidotal".

Although, I do find that I often find myself thinking the opposite of what Nipkow says, so perhaps "antidotal" could work for his postings.

Yes,  autocorrect and my own lack of taking time to read what I have written before hitting 'submit' are the cause,  but I believe both words work in this case.

It wasn't that I didn't like your post but didn't understand what you were getting at.  IF your point was that meteorologist are wrong too often you can't use ONE incidence to make such a case (well unless your NipKow who is the king of antidotal evidence). 

TV weather people often exaggerate the threat of snowfalls, rainstorms, etc. It gets people to watch and boosts ratings. Why prognosticators keep predicting that the Raiders will contend, you're on your own there.

TV weather people often exaggerate the threat of snowfalls, rainstorms, etc. It gets people to watch and boosts ratings. Why prognosticators keep predicting that the Raiders will contend, you're on your own there.

Let me understand your POV here;  You're saying that they get info from the national weather service or other creditable sources and instead of reporting this 'as is' they embellish it?       Is that your POV here?

Anyhow,  I get my weather info straight from those creditable sources.   Of course they have a false positive rate but they don't exaggerate to get ratings since they aren't on T.V. 

The hyper-sensationalizing of news has spread to the weather departments, and is perhaps even more insidious in that area. During the past few years, my local news weather forecasters (the ones out of Jacksonville; the one that i watch most often, out of Gainesville, is still rather even-toned) have become increasingly alarmist and even hysterical. During even the most routine rain showers, they will break into regular programming to breathlessly report of the "highly dangerous" outdoor conditions. the forecaster will have removed his usual suit jacket, have his tie loosened or removed, and his shirt sleeves rolled-up, because he's working hard, Darn it!

It serves no purpose other than to scare people unnecessarily, and it reached a peak of irresponsibility, in my opinion, during the recent hurricane, when all 4 Jacksonville stations went to full storm coverage, 24/7 for at least 2 days. Whenever things slowed down, they would take that opportunity to drum the fear machine more, not warning people of possible hazards, but saying things like "People will die tonight!" 

• Like 1

The hyper-sensationalizing of news has spread to the weather departments, and is perhaps even more insidious in that area. During the past few years, my local news weather forecasters (the ones out of Jacksonville; the one that i watch most often, out of Gainesville, is still rather even-toned) have become increasingly alarmist and even hysterical. During even the most routine rain showers, they will break into regular programming to breathlessly report of the "highly dangerous" outdoor conditions. the forecaster will have removed his usual suit jacket, have his tie loosened or removed, and his shirt sleeves rolled-up, because he's working hard, Darn it!

It serves no purpose other than to scare people unnecessarily, and it reached a peak of irresponsibility, in my opinion, during the recent hurricane, when all 4 Jacksonville stations went to full storm coverage, 24/7 for at least 2 days. Whenever things slowed down, they would take that opportunity to drum the fear machine more, not warning people of possible hazards, but saying things like "People will die tonight!" 

I realized after I posted that where one lives has a lot to do with this type of alarmist weather newscast.

In So Cal,  95% of the time all a weather person can say is;  morning clouds, giving way to sunshine,   temperature in the mid-70s to low 80s.

I realized after I posted that where one lives has a lot to do with this type of alarmist weather newscast.

In So Cal,  95% of the time all a weather person can say is;  morning clouds, giving way to sunshine,   temperature in the mid-70s to low 80s.

Being a TV weatherman in LA is about as visible a job as being a bagger at Ralphs.

Being a TV weatherman in LA is about as visible a job as being a bagger at Ralphs.

So true.   But the So Cal area does have Jackie Johnson.   Do a Google Search and you will see why I never miss her.   While I'm joking since I don't watch local T.V. news,  she does appear very briefly during Lakers games since the T.V. news is typically on right after.   All she says is stay tuned for the weather report.   She also leads off the news with the same 'stay tuned'.   So obvious why the station does this.

Frankly I'm surprised she doesn't work for Fox (and Fox needs some new blondes that won't sue them).

So true.   But the So Cal area does have Jackie Johnson.   Do a Google Search and you will see why I never miss her.   While I'm joking since I don't watch local T.V. news,  she does appear very briefly during Lakers games since the T.V. news is typically on right after.   All she says is stay tuned for the weather report.   She also leads off the news with the same 'stay tuned'.   So obvious why the station does this.

Frankly I'm surprised she doesn't work for Fox (and Fox needs some new blondes that won't sue them).

2013-12-26-Jackie%20Johnson.jpg

Let me understand your POV here;  You're saying that they get info from the national weather service or other creditable sources and instead of reporting this 'as is' they embellish it?       Is that your POV here?

Anyhow,  I get my weather info straight from those creditable sources.   Of course they have a false positive rate but they don't exaggerate to get ratings since they aren't on T.V. 

In my area of northwestern SC and southwestern NC, the stations jump early and hard on snow and ice.  Not quite as hard, but close on thunderstorms and heavy rain.  It is all driven by (1) ratings and (2) weather people burnishing their positions in the hieracry.

How does someone become certified as a meteroligist for TV, local and Weather Channel?  I have seen people come on Weather Channel with a tag saying reporter or similar and a month later it has been changed to meterologist.

Also, where do they get their information from?  They all have a Storm Central or Weather Center or such, along with Weather Radar, etc.

Is that what she wears on the air? Who cares about the weather?

Jackie does go on-air in some very sexy and tight outfits.   

Jackie does go on-air in some very sexy and tight outfits.   

It's going to very hot today. I'm going to cool off by displaying a significant amount of cleavage.

Don't forget Tropical Storm Bret.

It probably won't hit the US.but it's worth mentioning because it's possibly the earliest forming Cape Verde storm ever recorded.Cape Verde storms don't usually form until August/September,but have bin known to form as early as early July,but July storms are very rare.

Its formation and ability to hold together crossing the ocean this early in the year shows that the Atlantic is warmer than usual.

This doesn't bode well for the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season...it's a bad omen.

http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/custom/storms/storm2_models.html

Don't forget Tropical Storm Bret.

It probably won't hit the US.but it's worth mentioning because it's possibly the earliest forming Cape Verde storm ever recorded.Cape Verde storms don't usually form until August/September,but have bin known to form as early as early July,but July storms are very rare.

Its formation and ability to hold together crossing the ocean this early in the year shows that the Atlantic is warmer than usual.

This doesn't bode well for the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season...it's a bad omen.

http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/custom/storms/storm2_models.html

that's what we need! a good old-fashioned hurricane to shake everybody up and remind everyone of the power of nature and God.

:)

that's what we need! a good old-fashioned hurricane to shake everybody up and remind everyone of the power of nature and God.

Only if it hits you and your family. as once again you show your true "Christian" spirit by wishing widespread death, destruction and misery on people.

• Like 2

This is one of the worst threads on this site and should be shut down.  It serves no beneficial or social purpose at all.

In the past, lots of erroneous information has been posted here or similar sites.

If people want to know about hurricaines, they can watch weather channel or local news for much more accurate information re: their specific areas.

This is one of the worst threads on this site and should be shut down.  It serves no beneficial or social purpose at all.

In the past, lots of erroneous information has been posted here or similar sites.

If people want to know about hurricaines, they can watch weather channel or local news for much more accurate information re: their specific areas.

You're a fool if you believe pictures of Jackie Johnson,  my local So Cal weather gal,  serve no beneficial or social purpose at all.   :P

• Like 1

You're a fool if you believe pictures of Jackie Johnson,  my local So Cal weather gal,  serve no beneficial or social purpose at all.   :P

Ah yes, I Googled her.  Does she report on hurricaines on East and Gulf Coasts that much?  But it also tends to support my contention that the local channels and Weather Channel produce accurate, non-alarmist information as opposed to this thread.

Of course for "pictures of Jackie Johnson" to "serve beneficial or social purpose" here, somebody would have to have posted them.  Have they?

Ah yes, I Googled her.  Does she report on hurricaines on East and Gulf Coasts that much?  But it also tends to support my contention that the local channels and Weather Channel produce accurate, non-alarmist information as opposed to this thread.

Of course for "pictures of Jackie Johnson" to "serve beneficial or social purpose" here, somebody would have to have posted them.  Have they?

There is a picture of her here about 10 posts 'down'.     Local news here will report on major weather events like hurricanes and tornadoes that impact the USA,  especially here in So Cal,  where 90% of the time the weather report is the same old line.     

Anyhow,  I can't understand why you're against alarmist information.    E.g.  90% of what is posted in all those anti-Trump threads is alarmist by nature.    You do that by posting about a tax plan,  budget or other Trump proposals that you know have little chance of becoming law as proposed.    Why not let others have their fun posting alarmist info.    

If this thread serves no other purpose than to be a welcome diversion from all the OTT extremist and alarmist anti Trump threads of which 98% should have bin shut down/deleted a long time ago,then this thread is serving a good purpose. 

BTW it's spelled hurricane NOT hurricaine...duhhh

• Like 1

If this thread serves no other purpose than to be a welcome break from all the OTT extremist and alarmist anti Trump threads of which 98% should be shut down or deleted,then this thread has served a purpose. 

BTW it's spelled hurricane NOT hurricaine...duhhh

It's odd that you suggest 98% of the "anti Trump threads" be shut down or deleted, but none of the pro Trump threads, which are usually filled with extremist and alarmist HS as well. I wonder why that is?

Anyway, as chief Trumpist of these Boards, JakeHolman, has stated, if there are posters you don't like use the ignore feature, and if it's a thread you don't like, don't read it.

• Like 1