Sign in to follow this  
ClassicMovieRankings

Ranking 63 Van Johnson Movies on his 100th Birthday

6 posts in this topic

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/van-johnson-movies/

Just some of the stats.....27 movies between 1943 and 1954 that would be $100 million hits in todays dollars.  Over $7 Billion in Domestic Gross.  17 movies that earned at least one Oscar nomination.

Happy Birthday Van.

Excellent. Thanks for ranking his films..!

• Like 1

Some of the most successful films he was in were ensemble pictures. Like THE CAINE MUTINY; BATTLEGROUND; TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY and WEEK-END AT THE WALDORF. So how much of this do we attribute to his star power at the time, or to the box office draw of his costars? 

• Like 1

Hey TopBilled.  Good point.  I would say he was excellent supporting actor and a good lead actor....I would give him credit for Battleground's success....at the time he was the only star in that one...and I do not think James Whitmore became a star after the movie.  Still....for 12 years at MGM he had an awesome run.

• Like 1

Hey TopBilled.  Good point.  I would say he was excellent supporting actor and a good lead actor....I would give him credit for Battleground's success....at the time he was the only star in that one...and I do not think James Whitmore became a star after the movie.  Still....for 12 years at MGM he had an awesome run.

Yes, he sure did. When I read the facts you listed about his career, I see he was with Warners for six months, before signing with MGM. Two years earlier, he worked on TOO MANY GIRLS (though he was un-billed). 

Abbott and Costello finished in 35th place with 2.70 billion in adjusted box office gross.....if you pick only the years 1941 - 1944....they do much better..as they come in 12th place using that time guideline.

Walter Brennan was a 3 time Oscar winner who helped put butts in the seats.....pretty much what Christopher Walken and Samuel L. Jackson do today.  So yes he is a supporting actor...but we did not want to exclude him from the list.

Here is our 1950s Top Stars Page.  http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/top-movie-stars-1950s/

It has taken us over six years to research all of this data....glad it is creating some conversation.