LawrenceA

From the Last 25 Years

1,463 posts in this topic

The Crow - Comic-book modern-gothic horror/superhero tale about a murdered rock musician (Brandon Lee) who returns to life with supernatural abilities and a thirst for revenge. Also with Ernie Hudson, Michael Wincott, Bai Ling, David Patrick Kelly, Michael Massee, Tony Todd, and the recently deceased Jon Polito. This film garnered unwanted publicity when rising star Lee, son of Bruce Lee, was killed while filming during a stunt mishap.

the-crow-reboot.jpg

Cyborg 3 - The first film was a grungy, post-nuke action flick with Jean-Claude Van Damme. The second film was a cyberpunk thriller featuring the first starring role for Angelina Jolie. This sequel returns to the post-apocalyptic cheapness of the first film. "Recyclers" hunt cyborgs for their parts in a blasted wasteland. Starring Zach Galligan, Khrystyne Haje, Richard Lynch, Andrew Bryniarski, William Katt, Rebecca Ferratti, Margaret Avery, Malcolm McDowell, and Kato Kaelin as "beggar". Some versions tack the subtitles "The Recycler" or "The Creation" on to the title, but the DVD I watched just said "Cyborg 3".

cyborg_3_the_recycler-374695795-large.jp

Cyborg Cop 2 - Low-rent junk starring David Bradley as the title hero, who looks normal, but kicks people a lot. He has to fight a squad of cyborg soldiers that have gone rogue. I never saw the first film.

cyborg_cop_2-509807278-large.jpg

I was perhaps remiss in not mentioning in previous post: Sny (1993). It is available in full with English subtitles for free viewing on: YouTube within: Mosfilm channel. It is of an elegant and proper young Countess living in late 19th Century who begins to dream she is laborer in dirty, sex-filled modern Russia. What is real and what is dream become blurred for her and her husband and her doctor. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108172/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

I hope that you include as you advance the years: The Pillow Book (1996). I believe it is very rare to find a movie which is so very unabashedly enthusiastic re: calligraphy. It is a very beautiful movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114134/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I believe that it would be major change of gears but I suggest that you watch also: Kondom des Grauens (1996). I find it to be upriotously funny. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116791/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Like 1

Doomsday Gun - Cable TV movie with an interesting cast. This is a true story, about a disgruntled Canadian ballistics engineer who decides to build a giant, far-range gun for Saddam Hussein in the late 1980's. Frank Langella stars, with Alan Arkin, Kevin Spacey, Michael Kitchen, Tony Goldwyn, Francesca Annis, Clive Owen, Rupert Graves, and James Fox.

220px-Doomsday-Gun-dvd-cover.jpg

• Like 1

Drop Squad - Satirical look at race and culture. The "Drop Squad" is an urban myth about a group of righteous black activists that kidnap other blacks that have in some way "sold out" the black race. They then de-program their captives, making them upstanding members of the black community. Starring Eriq LaSalle, Ving Rhames, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Kasi Lemmons, and Paula Kelly. Spike Lee was one of the producers.

DROP-SQUAD-la.jpg

Fist of Legend- One of the biggest hits in the career of Jet Li, it's one I have managed to not see until now. It's a remake of the Bruce Lee movie Fist of Fury, about a Chinese student (Li) who confronts Japanese invaders in Shanghai during the First World War. 

Jing_wu_ying_xiong_poster_usa.jpg

• Like 1

Floundering - Indie comedy with a large, interesting cast. James Le Gros stars as an unemployed LA resident wandering around the city, not long after the LA Riots. Also with John Cusack, Ethan Hawke, Steve Buscemi, Kim Wayans, Nina Siemaszko, Jeremy Piven, Ted Raimi, Lisa Zane, Viggo Mortensen, Exene Cervenka, and Billy Bob Thornton.

6a00d4141da5a76a4700cd973ef6c64cd5.jpg

Fist of Legend- One of the biggest hits in the career of Jet Li, it's one I have managed to not see until now. It's a remake of the Bruce Lee movie Fist of Fury, about a Chinese student (Li) who confronts Japanese invaders in Shanghai during the First World War. 

Lawrence,

What did you think of this Jet Li film?  One of his best?  Always great to see the Chinese - Japanese "stereo-types" in films.

Lawrence,

What did you think of this Jet Li film?  One of his best?  Always great to see the Chinese - Japanese "stereo-types" in films.

I liked it, but not as much as I expected from its reputation. It starts out with some outrageous bone-splitting close-quarters fighting, but slows down considerably. There's a lot of time spent on secondary characters that aren't all that interesting. The fight scenes are almost all excellent, though, with a few obvious stunt-doubling detracting now and then. Yasuaki Furata is good as a sympathetic Japanese sensei who respects Li.

I gave it a 7/10, or B-.

Getting Gotti - TV movie about the Brooklyn ADA who brought the RICO case against flamboyant mafioso John Gotti. Lorraine Bracco stars, with Anthony John Denison as Gotti, Ellen Burstyn, August Schellenberg, Kenneth Welsh, and Jeremy Ratchford.

movieposter.jpg

Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla - More giant monster action, with Godzilla and SpaceGodzilla battling it out, along with a Voltron-esque giant transforming robot named M.O.G.U.E.R.A.

godzilla_vs_spacegodzilla_2.jpg

• Like 2

Greedy - Comedy about money-hungry family members waiting for the patriarch to kick so that they can inherit his wealth. Starring Michael J. Fox, Kirk Douglas, Nancy Travis, Ed Begley Jr., Mary Ellen Trainor, Phil Hartman, Colleen Camp, Olivia d'Abo, Jere Burns, Bob Balaban, Siobhan Fallon, Khandi Alexander, Austin Pendleton, and Kevin McCarthy.

615full-greedy-poster.jpg

Hail Caesar - Not the recent Coen brothers film, but an obscure indie comedy directed by and starring Anthony Michael Hall as a struggling would-be rock star. Co-starring Robert Downey Jr., Bobbie Phillips, Leslie Danon, Frank Gorshin, Judd Nelson, and Samuel L. Jackson.

127076-hail-caesar-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?

Heaven & Hell: North and South, Book III - 8 years after the last entry comes this third and final TV mini-series based on the John Jakes novels about the Civil War. This time the story concerns the immediate post-war era and Reconstruction. The usual massive cast includes Philip Casnoff, Kyle Chandler, Cathy Lee Crosby, Lesley-Anne Down, Jonathan Frakes, Genie Francis, Terri Garber, Mariette Hartley, Tom Noonan, James Read, Stan Shaw, Rip Torn, Billy Dee Williams, Cliff De Young, Gary Grubbs, Keith Szarabajka, Chris Burke, Ann Dowd, Steve Harris, Paul McCrane, and Peter O'Toole.

north-and-south-1985_216000_top.jpg?cach

Hellbound - Chuck Norris is a tough Chicago cop after an ancient resurrected force of evil. Will he get a chance to kick Satan in the face?

HellboundMoviePoster-405x600.jpg

Hoop Dreams - Critically-acclaimed documentary following the progress of two young inner-city Chicago teens as they work toward their dream of NBA success. One of the 1001 Movies to See Before You Die.

hoop-dreams.jpg

Incident In a Small Town - TV movie about a lawyer (Walter Matthau) defending his old friend, a judge (Harry Morgan) on a murder charge. Also with Stephanie Zimbalist and Nick Stahl. Directed by Delbert Mann.

2945-2.jpg

• Like 2

The Last Ride - A recently released ex-con rodeo rider (Mickey Rourke) gets involved with a bank robber (Lori Singer). Also with Brion James, Peter Berg, Mark Pellegrino, John Enos, Rodney A. Grant, and Aaron Neville. Also released as F.T.W.

3310231-l.jpg

Milk Money - Richard Benjamin directed this comedy about a 12 year old boy who hires a prostitute (Melanie Griffith) to date his widowed father (Ed Harris). Also with Malcolm McDowell, Anne Heche, Casey Siemaszko, and Philip Bosco.

milkmoney.jpg

Pentathlon - Dolph Lundgren stars in this tale of an East German Olympic athlete that defects to the US during the 1988 Seoul games. His psychotic coach (David Soul) hunts him down, seeking violent revenge. Also with Roger E. Mosley.

pentathalon.jpg

Police Academy: Mission to Moscow - After a 5 year break, the comedy series returned for one last theatrical release. The academy goofballs travel to Russia to help thwart the Russian Mafia. George Gaynes, Michael Winslow, Leslie Easterbrook, G.W. Bailey, and David Graf return from the previous entires, this time joined by Ron Perlman, Claire Forlani, Charlie Schlatter, and Christopher Lee.

police-academy-7-mission-to-moscow-12986

Replikator - In a Blade Runner-like future, a criminal acquires cloning technology, which puts him in the sights of a cop who teams up with hackers to track him down. Starring Michael St. Gerard, Brigitte Bako, Peter Outerbridge, Ron Lea, and Ned Beatty as Inspector Valiant. Made in Canada.

l21uWWBTR9s9RGmnUowtbTD5MT3.jpg

Incident In a Small Town - TV movie about a lawyer (Walter Matthau) defending his old friend, a judge (Harry Morgan) on a murder charge. Also with Stephanie Zimbalist and Nick Stahl. Directed by Delbert Mann.

2945-2.jpg

The Incident (1989) was the first of the three TV movie series.  It starred Matthau, Morgan and Susan Blakely.  I like it better than Incident in a Small Town.  Both are available on DVD and I think Incident in Baltimore may be.

• Like 1

Rolling Stones: Voodoo Lounge - Concert film recorded in Miami, Florida in late 1994. This was the first tour after bassist Bill Wyman retired from the band.

rs-7625-20121028-rs1994-thumb-624x420-13