Marianne

Problems with Canvas Dashboard?

39 posts in this topic

I just checked my dashboard on Canvas, and the course for Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies has been removed from my student dashboard. Until today, the course was listed under "In Progress."

Why was it deleted? This isn't already a problem before the course starts, I hope.

Anyone else having this problem?

• Like 1

Same here. This morning I received an email that the course starts today. I thought it didn't start until tomorrow (the 28th), so I went to check it out. It's no longer listed on my dashboard, but if I visit the course page while logged in, it does say "you are enrolled."

• Like 1

Same here. This morning I received an email that the course starts today. I thought it didn't start until tomorrow (the 28th), so I went to check it out. It's no longer listed on my dashboard, but if I visit the course page while logged in, it does say "you are enrolled."

Yup, that's what happened earlier today, and I checked once again and that's what is still happening.

But it does say at Canvas that the course still starts tomorrow (August 28). I hope it does and I hope I'm still enrolled.

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion. That email was sent in error!

The course starts tomorrow, Sunday. 

#SlapstickFall will be live in just a few hours!

Thanks everyone for joining, and I can't wait for the conversations to begin!

Best, Rich Edwards

Instructor, TCM Presents Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies

• Like 2

I can not access the course from the Canvas IOS app, only through a browser . Will this course be available on the app, or only through a web browser?

• Like 1

I can not access the course from the Canvas IOS app, only through a browser . Will this course be available on the app, or only through a web browser?

Yes, this course will be available through the Canvas iOS app - the trick is when it asks for school district, the first choice is "Canvas Network" - once you select Canvas Network, then you will see Painfully Funny in your course list if you have enrolled. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more assistance!

The Canvas forgot me and I had to revalidate my email and password. :(

Hopefully it has all been sorted out. Opening a course with thousands of students enrolled is always a challenge! But we are here to help. Just keep posting and we will resolve problems as soon as we hear about them.

• Like 2

Yes, this course will be available through the Canvas iOS app - the trick is when it asks for school district, the first choice is "Canvas Network" - once you select Canvas Network, then you will see Painfully Funny in your course list if you have enrolled. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more assistance!

I had it selected but it only showed "into the darkness" course. I found the slapstick course under "settings" but listed as hidden for the courses. A click on the course made it show. I hope this helps others. Thanks for the quick reply professor.

Sorry for the confusion. That email was sent in error!

The course starts tomorrow, Sunday. 

#SlapstickFall will be live in just a few hours!

Thanks everyone for joining, and I can't wait for the conversations to begin!

Best, Rich Edwards

Instructor, TCM Presents Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies

I am unable to access Day 2 Monday 29th of Painfully Funny.  Can you help me please?

I just checked my dashboard on Canvas, and the course for Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies has been removed from my student dashboard. Until today, the course was listed under "In Progress."

Why was it deleted? This isn't already a problem before the course starts, I hope.

Anyone else having this problem?

I am having problems finding Day Two of the course.  There is no indication of how to access it.

I am having problems finding Day Two of the course.  There is no indication of how to access it.

I haven't seen Day Two's assignment yet either, but it's probably because Dr. Richard Edwards hasn't posted it yet. It's 3:11 p.m., my time, so there's nine hours left. And if Dr. Edwards is not on the eastern coast of the United States (and he's likely not if he's in Indiana), then he has even more time!

• Like 1

I can't seem to find today's assignment (day 2).  It's 4:45 p.m. eastern time and I'm wondering where it might be!

• Like 1

I never got the second part of the course intro either.  I guess it's a kink they have to work out.  And they will.  There were some issues last year when I was taking the Film Noir course and I was always amazed at how quickly they seemed to solve the problem. :)

• Like 1

Part 2 just showed up. Hope I am doing this class right. First time and not sure how to check progress or if there is anything to even check yet. Any information would be great, thanks everyone.

Hi Everyone: Thanks for your patience. I have been working through a few issues behind the scenes, but that is why I like to ease into these kinds of online courses. But I think everything is now resolved.

The syllabus link is now working - so check out the syllabus!

Week 1 Part Two is now live

Video Lecture #1 will be up around 9am Eastern time on Wednesday! 

If something still isn't working, then let me know! 

We will get it fixed! You have a superb team working behind the scenes to make this wonderful course go!

Best, Dr. Rich Edwards

• Like 3

I filled out the surveys but it keeps asking me to fill out the survey. I even got an email today to fill out the survey. Is there any way I can make sure it has been saved? Also, someone mentioned assignments. I haven't seen an assignment board yet for the course. And haven't noticed any assignments for the first two sessions. Am I correct that there are no assignments yet? Thanks for you help. I also took the Noir class last year and loved it!

I cannot seem to get a photo posted on the message board.  I don't see many with a photo so I was wondering if that function is working yet?

Hello 1924sherlockjr

Uploading a picture from your computer to use as your avatar is not working at the moment. Please upload to one of the many image hosting sites (many of which are free), and use the URL to get your chosen picture in here. 

I hope this helps!

• Like 2

Hello 1924sherlockjr

Uploading a picture from your computer to use as your avatar is not working at the moment. Please upload to one of the many image hosting sites (many of which are free), and use the URL to get your chosen picture in here. 

I hope this helps!

I just used:

http://tinypic.com/

and once it is uploaded, use the last option: "direct link for layouts"

Thanks!

• Like 2

I cannot get the 

Golden Age Of Comedy, The (1957) -- (Movie Clip) The Laugh Factory

clip to work for the Daily Dose 1 that I received through my email.  Is there another place in the class pages that I can go to watch it?  Thank you.

Yes, it is now up at the Canvas course - enrolled students can access the clip through this page: https://learn.canvas.net/courses/1163/pages/daily-dose-of-doozy

Also, on the front page of Canvas, the fifth button down the list, Daily Dose of Doozy (the light teal button) gets you there too!

• Like 1

Hello

The Vimo produced lecture clips dont have sound when I play them back even when  downloaded and using another player. I am  using the cursed chrome browser which has been updated.  I  understand its  silent film comedy at the begining perhaps not for the lectures. Nice  touch would be  title  cards.

Anyone else have  the  silent  scream troubles that I  do?????

(DISREGARD THIS POST. I HAVE REPAIRED THE  TROUBLES.  THE  GOOGE  TEMPERMENTAL  AUDIO PLUG IN STRIKES  AGAIN)

I have taken the Welcome Survey and I believe I have submitted it correctly, but the Canvas Dashboard doesn't show that I have submitted it. Is this because the Welcome Survey is not a requirement of the Slapstick course itself?

This is a minor point compared to other complaints by other course takers, but I am wondering if this will affect the way my quizzes and the final exam are submitted through Canvas.

Has anyone else run into a problem playing ANY video programming from the TCM website? I've tried disabling my adblocker and tried three different browsers. I've contacted TCM about it, but I don't expect I'll hear from them soon. If anyone has any knowledge on this problem I would appreciate some input. Thank you! In the meantime there will be Daily Doses for me.  :(

Yes, it is now up at the Canvas course - enrolled students can access the clip through this page: https://learn.canvas.net/courses/1163/pages/daily-dose-of-doozy