Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

1,520 posts in this topic

Amazon has a special on today, the four Ultimate James Bond box sets, as a bundle for $125 (65% off). That's even better than Costco's $33.99 each during their special sale, but with Costco you can buy the sets individually..

DeepDiscount has a big MGM sale. Each title is $5.89. I have seen this promotion several times for various suppliers of DVD's but this one has the best price all around. There are approximately 200 titles on sale.

At my local Wal-Mart the other day, there were several dvds on sale for only 5 bucks! I picked up a copy of Roman Holiday. They also had Pillow Talk, A New Kind of Love, The Best Years of Our Lives. Plus some others that I can't remember...

I also bought Fried Green Tomatoes there for only $7.50.

Sandy K

Amazon has Duel in the Sun (49), The Big Country (58), and The Bravadoes (58), for $8.99 each. Not a fantastic price, but a pretty good price for them, since they are usually $12.99-14.99.

Blood and Sand, comes out May 1, with the Tyrone Power set. Duel was released 2004. In fact, it was first released by Anchor Bay in 2000, and I hear that transfer is better than the MGM one from 2004.

DeepDiscountDVD is having a SONY sale. Selected titles are 42% off. SONY is overpriced so this is a pretty good sale. Included are such titles as PICNIC, ANATOMY OF A MURDER and IN A LONELY PLACE.

I usually order from Amazon. But Deep- Discount is "Free-Shipping" and that can save alot on a large order. Deep-Discount uses regular mail so it may take longer to receive your films. There is always a down -side.

vallo

Amazon usually has free shipping over $25. Check for it when you are placing the order. As you look at each item individually, it usually says, "Eligible for free shipping" or some such.

There's a great sale over at Amazon on box sets (over 50% off). Among the classics are: Marilyn Monroe Special Anniverary Collection ($23.99, was $49.98), Michael Shayne Mysteries vol. 1 (an incredible $13.99, down from $29.98), the Billy Wilder Collection ($57.99, down from $119.98), Betty Grable Collection vol. 1 ($28.99, was $59.98), Clark Gable Collectiion ($23.99, was $49.98), Hemmingway Classics Collection ($32.99, down from $69.98), Sidney Poitier Collection ($23.99, was $49.98), Jayne Mansfield Collection ($23.99, was $49.98).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_5348912_1/104-2749804-9953506?ie=UTF8&docId=1000122311&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1JH372MHNS49418W99T8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=304070201&pf_rd_i=130

Careful. The Nov Deepdiscount sale will have most of those for less. The only exception I see is the Michael Shayne Mysteries. $13.99 is a steal.

Amazon also had the Sergio Leone Anthology for $35.99 as the deal of the day, but that's all sold out now. That was a good $15 less than it's ever been anywhere.

I agree that the DD discount sale in Nov will be worthwhile for most of the items, but on three of the items I am looking at from this list, DD can't match them.

The Billy Wilder Collection is $57.99 on Amazon. On DD, with the 20% discount they will likely have in November, it still only brings DD's price down to $70.75. Save $13 on Amazon.

And there is a Shakespeare Collection for $11.99, that DD with discount will still be charging $14.73.

Plus the Steve McQueen Collection is $18.99 at amazon, while it will be $21.87 at DD after the discount.

I agree with you, FilmLover. The Billy Wilder Collection price at Amazon won't be topped by Deep Discount later on. That's the price that stood out like a sore thumb to me. It's on my DVD wish list but it's toward the bottom of the list. That price is awfully tempting, though.

As always, thanks for posting special sales of DVDs. That goes for each and every person who does the same. I'm a DVD addict, so I check this forum quite often.

Hmmmm....the Frank Sinatra collection is tempting, except that I already have Kings Go Forth and it's my favorite of the bunch. However, A Hole in the Head may be the drawing card, it's rarely shown and I remember liking it very much. As a would-be Sinatra completist, I may take the plunge.

deepdiscount.com has a repeat of a Universal sale with some good bargains in there for $10.98 each:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---Universal--10-98_stcVVcatId492039VVviewcat.htm

You can find the Best of Abbott & Costello box sets, the two Ma and Pa Kettle sets, a box set of four Road pictures with Crosby & Hope for the same, and a Doris Day/ Rock Hudson collection for the same. One of my favorite sets is the Don Knotts four film pack, which contains The Ghost and Mr. Chicken. Take a look for other good stuff.

Speaking of sales and DeepDiscount.com...has anybody started thinking about what they are going to buy when the November sale comes in (20% off the already discounted prices)?

I'm looking at:

The Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland Collection

The Esther Williams Collection

Shakespeare Collection

maybe The Fugitive Season One Vol. 1

The Hemingway Classics Collection

Looney Tunes Golden Collection vol. 5

Some things for the price I want to recommend to others:

And Then There Were None (reg. $9.99, currently at DD: $6.04; with sale in November, it will be about $4.83)

Romeo and Juliet (Olivia Hussey) (reg. $9.99, currently at DD: $6.04; with sale in November, it will be about $4.83)

Shane (reg. $9.99, currently at DD: $6.04; with sale in November, it will be about $4.83)

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (reg. $12.95, currently at DD: $6.62; with sale in November, it will be about $5.30)

Hud (reg. $9.99, currently at DD: $6.08; with sale in November, it will be about $4.83)

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (reg. $9.99, currently at DD: $6.08; with sale in November, it will be about $4.87)

Once Upon a Time in the West (reg. $9.99, currently at DD: $6.08; with sale in November, it will be about $4.87)

Sunset Blvd. (reg. $9.99, currently at DD: $6.08; with sale in November, it will be about $4.87)

Stagecoach (reg. $12.95, currently at DD: $6.62 with sale in November, it will be about $5.30)

The Greatest Show on Earth (reg. $9.99, currently at DD: $6.08; with sale in November, it will be about $4.87)

Well, that's something to think about.

Maybe I had better start putting my own list together---and some of those on your list, filmlover, are good ideas. However, I am awaiting that Ford at Fox set for December, so November purchases shall have to be curbed.

One that I definitely will wait to get in November is the latest Powell/Loy collection.