Sign in to follow this  
filmlover

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

1,520 posts in this topic

I went to another Costco tonight and they have exactly the same sets, so that's all they will have. It'd be great if they could do that with the Fox Film Noirs, too.

FilmLover -- When the next Deep Discount sale arrives in November (most likely), I'll be focusing on getting DVDs for my brother for Christmas. My greedy ways will have to take a back seat. If I were to be selfish, here are the DVDs I'd seek:

Tennessee Williams Film Collection

I've been putting this one off for too long. Oddly enough, I want the collection for Baby Doll and The Night of the Iguana. I love those two films. They both sizzle.

The upcoming Fox noirs: Boomerang, Daisy Kenyon, Dangerous Crossing, and Black Widow. I'll probably get Black Widow right away, though. I'm not sure I can resist a newly released Gene Tierney DVD.

Fox Horror Classics Collection (I'm thinking I may get this right away. Linda Darnell is also hard to put off for me.)

Barbara Stanwyck: The Signature Collection

Alfred Hitchcock Presents - Season Three

I'm also interested in getting some Criterion discs:

Le Corbeau

The Killers

Thieves' Highway

The Naked City

Shock Corridor

The Naked Kiss

Le Notti Bianche

It's never hard to find DVDs that I want. It's a sickness.

I've got my DVD habit under control. I can just turn it off when I want. Right now I've turned it off so as to save for the upcoming economic collapse of the country. After that, I'll turn it back on.

This morning I noticed Amazon has some selected Warner classic DVD sets on sale. There is no central announcement on the sale as to how long it will last that I can find or which sets are included, so I'll just list the ones I've found so far:

COLLECTION/ SALE PRICE/ RETAIL PRICE

Marx Bros. Collection 30.49 59.99

Ronald Reagan Signature Collection 29.99 49.99

Erroll Flynn Signature Collection V1 29.99 59.98

Clark Gable Signature Collection 29.99 59.98

Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection V2 29.49 59.98

Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection V1 29.99 59.98

Bette Davis Collection V1 29.49 49.98

Bette Davis Collection V2 29.49 59.98

Film Noir Collections V1,V2,V3 29.99 49.98

Tough Guys Collection 29.49 59.98

Warner Gangsters Collection 30.49 69.98

Gene Kelly Collection 29.49 52.98

Astaire & Rogers Collections V1&V2 29.49 59.98

Message was edited by: calvinnme

That Amazon sale is tempting, especially since they are over the $25 dollar limit to get free shipping. But I have to put a stranglehold on my click-to-buy impulse until I've saved enough for the gigantic Ford at Fox purchase. From the November sale at ddd, I've decided to get the AH Presents Season III, the Powell/Loy non-thin man set, the John Ford set released a couple of years ago, and the Barrymore silents. That is enough extravagence for a whole year!

Amazon has a small sale of boxed sets. Not much classic-wise, but they do have good prices on The Cary Grant Box Set (the Columbia films), a couple of Ray Harryhausen sets and the like. I am trying to find the link back and will post it when I do.

MissGoddess, I may be getting the FORD AT FOX after all. I sell things through Amazon, and I have accrued almost $150 in credit so far, so I could go for it. Hoping Amazon's price is no more than $225. I have also pre-ordered several sets from Amazon due to my prior credit including MICKEY & JUDY, THE LADY VANISHES, FOX HORROR CLASSICS and BARBARA STANWYCK COLLECTION. Will pass on the Loy-Powell Collection. That only leaves me with some single upcoming DVD's including I'LL CRY TOMORROW, WITH A SONG IN MY HEART, CHRISTMAS CAROL and GOLDEN BOY which I can buy from DDD annual sale in November. I have yet to decide whether I want the JAZZ SINGER COLLECTION and THE FLY COLLECTION.

Hi, FilmLover -- Thanks for the heads up on the Amazon sale. The Cary Grant Box Set is a steal right now ($26.49). It's a great set. I love it. None of the other titles move me, but my brother may be interested in the one Ray Harryhausen set.

Hey, Edgecliff -- I always enjoy seeing the sickness of other DVD collectors. Thanks for sharing. I know I'm getting the Fox Horror Classics set when it comes out. I'll probably hold off on the Stanwyck Collection until Christmas. I already have the first Criterion version of *The Lady Vanishes*, so I'm gonna pass on the double-dip right now, even though the print of the film is much better in the rerelease.

I'm currently in decision mode. I'm trying to decide which DVDs to get this month and next. These titles are in for me:

Fritz Lang's Indian Epic

Carole Lombard Glamour Collection (I'm getting it tomorrow at Borders, although I'm not happy that I missed out on a 2-day only, 40% off box set sale. Not good.)

Gene Tierney splurge: *Heaven Can Wait*, *The Shanghai Gesture*, and *Thunder Birds*.

I'm probably going to get The Ultimate Film Noir Collection and the Suspense 20 Movie Pack. I'm a noir addict right now.

I'm still deciding on titles like:

The Gary Cooper Collection (I'm leaning this way)

Tyrone Power Collection (darn that Gene Tierney, Linda Darnell, & Rita Hayworth)

Cary Grant: Screen Legend Collection (Joan Bennett, Myrna Loy, & Sylvia Sidney)

FrankGrimes, I already own HEAVEN CAN WAIT (gorgeous print) Looking forward to THE BLACK WIDOW with Tierney and Ginger Rogers; TYRONE POWER SWASHBUCKLER (great FOX set). I would be weary of those PD sets with 20 films. The price is right but usually the prints are awful. I try to be very picky when when buying classics DVD's, but its hard to choose especially when so many great things are released. I don't buy all box sets. Passed on THIN MAN, Myrna Loy-William Powell, Leading Ladies (exception of I'LL CRY TOMORROW), Gary Cooper, Cary Grant.

I also love film noir. I am looking for the next box set from WB. Hope they include THE LOCKET, THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME, NORA PRENTISS and more from Monogram Studios.

Hi, Edgecliff -- Looking forward to THE BLACK WIDOW with Tierney and Ginger Rogers;

As am I. I'm still awaiting the official release date. Any news on that front?

I would be weary of those PD sets with 20 films. The price is right but usually the prints are awful. I try to be very picky when when buying classics DVD's, but its hard to choose especially when so many great things are released.

I have the Dark Crimes box set and I've been pleasantly suprised by the "watchability" of most of the films. There are quite a few films I want to see in the two PD boxes I mentioned and it's the only way to get some of those titles. I figure it's worth it just to see some of the films that I would otherwise not get the chance to see.

I also love film noir. I am looking for the next box set from WB. Hope they include THE LOCKET, THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME, NORA PRENTISS and more from Monogram Studios.

I'm such a sucker for the WB noir box sets that I crave any kind of titles they throw at me. *The Locket* is a film I really want to see. I'm going to be taping it in October.

Other than seeing the cover art, there has been no release date announced for BLACK WIDOW. I was hoping for a December release, but we may have to wait until January 2008.

Amazon has a sale going on what they call "The Essential 100 DVDs". Believe it or not there's quite a bit of classic stuff in here mixed in with more modern offerings. Mark downs are largely 40% plus off retail. The link is:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=xs_gb_99_center-2_rw_uk_16150/103-9306391-0028621?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=376254011

It is supposed to last until October 9.

Since Deep Discount raised their DVD prices 10% across the board last week, I have somewhat lost faith in them and am seeking out deals that should match or beat their big Nov. sale whereever I can find them. Hope this helps someone.

calvinnme, this is a very good sale, unfortunately there is nothing on this list that I want. Have many of these goodies. Amazon does have great prices, especially on their box sets and shipping is free for over $25 and I have pre-ordered some sets from them. I have been buying less and less from DDD, although I probably will buy when the November sale comes up depending on the discounts.

The best bargains I found at this Amazon sale are Metropolis, Double Indemnity, and The Marx Bros Silver Screen Collection. Even if Deep Discount put these on 20% off, this sale still beats them by far on those. But I'm not giving up hope on DD yet. I've seen them raise their prices before and then lower them and then have the 20% sale.

Some western DVDs at Amazon at a good price right now.

The Man from Colorado (49), The Desperadoes (43), and The Violent Men (55)- $7.49 each. Best price I've ever seen them. Also, Jubal (56), 3:10 to Yuma (57), and The Man from Laramie (55)- $7.99 each.

Then there's Hangman's Knot (52) for $5.49, starring Randolph Scott & Donna Reed. Put out by Sony/Columbia. Not a bad movie at a giveaway price.

No classics among them but I thought I would briefly mention that Fry's Electronics has a special this weekend on Blu-rays at Buy One Get One Free on 20 titles (so it works out to 50% off) and 2 for $27 on 16 Paramount HD-DVD titles.