filmlover

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

1,565 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I just ordered three!

Yay!

My husband and I are trying to save up for a 2019 vacation.  I told him about this sale and he was like "I thought we were trying to save money."  But... but... then I have to wait until July! I think I managed to bargain to get a couple.  Lol.  The others that I want will be on my Christmas list that I'll send to my family.  Haha.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I just ordered three!

Just out of curiosity, what did you choose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BingFan said:

Just out of curiosity, what did you choose?

Some oddball choices: Dragon Inn (1967), La Haine (1995), and The Lure (2015). 

No major classics, but I already have a couple of hundred Criterion discs, so there's not much left that I want and don't already have. I'm debating about splurging on the Zatoichi set as my Christmas present to myself, but I'll have to see if my budget will allow it. I also have a few of the upcoming releases on pre-order: The Magnificent AmbersonsIn the Heat of the Night, and Notorious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Some oddball choices: Dragon Inn (1967), La Haine (1995), and The Lure (2015). 

No major classics, but I already have a couple of hundred Criterion discs, so there's not much left that I want and don't already have. I'm debating about splurging on the Zatoichi set as my Christmas present to myself, but I'll have to see if my budget will allow it. I also have a few of the upcoming releases on pre-order: The Magnificent AmbersonsIn the Heat of the Night, and Notorious.

The Criterion edition of La Haine has been on TCM before (or it may have been from Janus. I don't remember). Either way, it was pretty good and looked touched up. I hope you enjoy your copy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I ended up for sure picking up two releases: The Magnificent Ambersons and To Be or Not to Be.   The rest of the films I wanted were placed on a Christmas list, so we'll see what I end up with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if anyone else has gotten their copy of The Magnificent Ambersons yet (probably because I ordered kind of late), but it's so cool.  The blu ray comes in a cardboard sleeve (instead of the normal clear plastic case) with a cardboard case.  Inside, there's a small replica of Orson Welles' original treatment document for the film! There are even "pencil" marks on the book. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know if anyone else has gotten their copy of The Magnificent Ambersons yet (probably because I ordered kind of late), but it's so cool.  The blu ray comes in a cardboard sleeve (instead of the normal clear plastic case) with a cardboard case.  Inside, there's a small replica of Orson Welles' original treatment document for the film! There are even "pencil" marks on the book. 

I got mine, as well. A few of the Criterion discs are in those cardboard cases (Dr. StrangeloveDazed & Confused, a few others). I like it better than the Princess Bride faux-book case, the spine of which got a bit squashed during transport in the mail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I got mine, as well. A few of the Criterion discs are in those cardboard cases (Dr. StrangeloveDazed & Confused, a few others). I like it better than the Princess Bride faux-book case, the spine of which got a bit squashed during transport in the mail.

Now to play the waiting game to see what movies I get for Christmas.  I already know that my husband got me The Beatles' "Revolver" album on vinyl and a new record player! The Amazon shipping alert popped up on my phone.  Oops!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Criterion Flash Sale -- noon March 5 to noon March 6:

 

025161b6-3089-4e51-b66c-07213a36839f.png

NEWSLETTER - MARCH 5, 2019

 

900db413-2476-4f05-9f5e-cd766b629583.jpg

 

 

 

For the next 24 hours at criterion.com, all in-stock Blu-rays and DVDs are 50% off SRP. No promo code needed!

Check out our real-time dashboard for new releases and curated categories like Director-Approved Editions, Staff Picks, Classic Hollywood, Documentaries, and more! Themes will be updated hourly to help you choose from our growing library of over 975 films.

The sale ends at noon EST tomorrow, March 6, so don’t delay!

 

 

 

55aa58cb-1e70-4ca1-8647-2b7904434dd5.jpg

 

 

 

PS: Please select your desired format (Blu-ray or DVD) when ordering as we can’t change or cancel orders once received. Note that we only ship within the United States and to Canada.

fda378e3-9a3c-47b1-bbee-523b99261377.jpg

 

915c6393-8186-4f54-9cd0-e4c614d40af9.jpg

 

103cfb76-9481-47fd-89be-a2d123ac2929.jpg

 

daa0100a-69ff-4d70-8035-5b2509238328.jpg

 

 

626522fe-7ae9-4241-a165-fdb0d855f3ca.jpg

 

90ebd210-dc93-4d9c-82e3-5f6c8eee7941.jpg

 

c13bb4d6-35f5-4bb2-9b51-0e98b2d468b9.jpg

 

dc2e4329-15be-4a5c-a9c6-bf314ff84d52.jpg

 

 

color-twitter-48.png

color-facebook-48.png

color-instagram-48.png

 

 

 

For further information on Criterion and our products, please visit our website at criterion.com. If you are not already on our mailing list and would like to be added, please click here to register at criterion.com. To unsubscribe, click here. © 2019 The Criterion Collection.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on when this year's Barnes and Noble summer Criterion sale is starting? Usually it is at the end of June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 9:41 AM, speedracer5 said:

Any word on when this year's Barnes and Noble summer Criterion sale is starting? Usually it is at the end of June.

I just received the announcement of the summer Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble.  It runs from today (June 28) through August 4 -- see below.  I can hardly wait to get to a B&N store!

NEWSLETTER - JUNE 28, 2019

a03f9906-0cb0-4686-b584-d44aa95df30d.jpg

 

In dreams . . . Starting today, all Criterion Blu-rays and DVDs are 50% off at Barnes & Noble, both online and in stores! 

This includes new editions of Blue Velvet, Police Story and Police Story 2, Funny Games, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Swing Time, and War and Peace. You can also preorder our upcoming releases of Europa Europa, Klute, and 1984, plus a definitive, director-approved edition of Do the Right Thing, celebrating the film’s 30th anniversary, and The BRD Trilogy on Blu-ray. The sale runs through August 4.

 

 

 

3a439c93-3f86-4a68-aad8-f8f49f5ae4b6.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Bing! I am so excited to hear this news.  I also like that it's running through to  August.  I think I have something like $60 in B&N gift cards! There's like 3 movies right there 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered The Awful TruthThe Heiress, and Tootsie, as well as pre-ordered 1984. Three (or four) cheers for the B&N Criterion sale.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My budget that I try to follow is split in the middle of the month, so I'm planning to order these after the 15th:

The Breaking Point

889_BD_box_348x490_original.jpg

The Friends of Eddie Coyle

416wPEKODhL._SY445_.jpg

Lady Snowblood

81vapCeOEgL._AC_UL436_.jpg

The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind

91aQMC3NSIL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Stalker - I have the Kino DVD of this, but I want the remastered picture and the bonus features.

91weX36zz9L._AC_UL436_.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my first order from UPS yesterday, and the case to Tootsie was crushed to pieces. I had to order some replacement cases. :( 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

10 Pickups from the July sale. Supposed to be at the doorstep in a few days.....

 

Trouble in Paradise and Heaven Can Wait are good ones! Enjoy! 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I got my first order from UPS yesterday, and the case to Tootsie was crushed to pieces. I had to order some replacement cases. :( 

As someone who works in a warehouse and ran the Receiving department for 7 years.  I have seen how UPS (and Fed Ex too for that matter) treats their packages.  Everything is just "a box" no matter how many FRAGILE signs are on the outside.  Glass? Throw. Place something super heavy on top. $10000 boxes of DDR memory cards, throw across the truck.  Let's stack this heavy pallet on top of this pallet with a "do not stack" cone containing fragile porcelain.  Who cares?! 

In a nutshell, I am not surprised.  My copy of The Awful Truth was damaged too.  Can you order a replacement case and replacement cover art?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

My budget that I try to follow is split in the middle of the month, so I'm planning to order these after the 15th:

The Breaking Point

 

The Friends of Eddie Coyle

 

Lady Snowblood

 

The Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind

 

Stalker - I have the Kino DVD of this, but I want the remastered picture and the bonus features.

 

Ooh The Breaking Point is a good one.  It's interesting to contrast it to To Have and Have Not, both using the same source material. Enjoy! 

I am going to B&N tonight! I have $60 in B&N gift cards! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

As someone who works in a warehouse and ran the Receiving department for 7 years.  I have seen how UPS (and Fed Ex too for that matter) treats their packages.  Everything is just "a box" no matter how many FRAGILE signs are on the outside.  Glass? Throw. Place something super heavy on top. $10000 boxes of DDR memory cards, throw across the truck.  Let's stack this heavy pallet on top of this pallet with a "do not stack" cone containing fragile porcelain.  Who cares?! 

In a nutshell, I am not surprised.  My copy of The Awful Truth was damaged too.  Can you order a replacement case and replacement cover art?

You probably can't order a new insert. If you have a nice printer and the right paper, you can find the image online and print a new one.

I often see footprints on the packages I get from UPS. Thankfully I get more from the postal service than any others, and they seem a bit better at caring for the packages. 

I got a package a couple of weeks ago from UPS. I usually meet the driver in my yard to keep them from ringing the doorbell or knocking on the door, as my dogs go crazy if they hear it. Anyway, the driver reaches out to hand me the package (a small cardboard box from Amazon) and a cockroach crawled out of it! I decided to open that one outside and left the box out there until garbage pick up the next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

You probably can't order a new insert. If you have a nice printer and the right paper, you can find the image online and print a new one.

I often see footprints on the packages I get from UPS. Thankfully I get more from the postal service than any others, and they seem a bit better at caring for the packages. 

I got a package a couple of weeks ago from UPS. I usually meet the driver in my yard to keep them from ringing the doorbell or knocking on the door, as my dogs go crazy if they hear it. Anyway, the driver reaches out to hand me the package (a small cardboard box from Amazon) and a cockroach crawled out of it! I decided to open that one outside and left the box out there until garbage pick up the next week.

Lol.

There are some trucks that come in that I could have sworn they were loaded with a bulldozer or something.  Just a pile of boxes that they walk all over while trying to locate the packages for their stop. Supposedly the boxes are "organized" but I don't see it. 

Gross on the cockroach! We sometimes would have dead cockroaches on pallets of freight we received.  We'd grab a cardboard corner or something to try and scoop it up without touching it. 

Maybe I can strategically tape the corner of my Awful Truth insert back together.  It's just the corner of the box that looks like it was stepped on and crushed, tearing the insert in the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at what's available on Criterion:

For sure I have to get those:

A Face in the Crowd

The Princess Bride

The Asphalt Jungle

 

I also want :

David Lean Directs Noel Coward

Detour

The Heiress

The Blob

Night Train to Munich

Magnificent Obsession

 

Then I also want:

City Lights

The Gold Rush

Here Comes Mr. Jordan

The Kid

My Man Godfrey

Modern Times

The Night of the Hunter

Only Angels Have Wings

On the Waterfront

Swing Time

Some Like it Hot

I already have all these films... so they're not as big a priority, but I'd like to have them.  Maybe not all now though, because that'd be really expensive. 

Who knows what other treasures I'll see... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

following Speedy's lead, looking over Criterions I don't have yet, these are the 37 I wouldn't mind getting in the future, because I liked or loved the films:

The Gold Rush (1925)

The Circus (1928)

Lonesome (1929)

king of Jazz (1930)

Dishonored (1931)

A Day in the Country (1936)

Stagecoach (1939)

Foreign Correspondent (1940)

Sullivan's Travels (1941)

To Be or Not to Be (1942)

I Know Where I'm Going! (1945)

Cluny Brown (1946)

Great Expectations (1946)

Green for Danger (1946)

Black Narcissus (1947)

The Red Shoes (1948)

The Third Man (1949)

The Browning Version (1951)

Limelight (1952)

Nights of Cabiria (1957)

The Fugitive Kind (1960)

Lola (1961)

A Taste of Honey (1961)

Sundays and Cybele (1962)

Billy Liar (1963)

the Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973)

A Special Day (1977)

Autumn Sonata (1978)

Tess (1979)

Missing (1982)

Paris, Texas (1984)

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (1988)

King of the Hill (1993)

Bottle Rocket (1996)

Topsy-Turvy (1999)

In the Mood for Love (2000)

Ghost World (2001)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:
  • The Gold Rush (1925)
  • Stagecoach (1939)
  • Foreign Correspondent (1940)
  • Sullivan's Travels (1941)
  • To Be or Not to Be (1942)
  • Black Narcissus (1947)
  • The Red Shoes (1948)
  • The Fugitive Kind (1960)
  • Tess (1979)
  • King of the Hill (1993)
  • Bottle Rocket (1996)

A lot of nice choices. I have all of the above. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us