filmlover

Special Sales of Classic Titles on DVD & Blu-ray

1,534 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I just ordered three!

Yay!

My husband and I are trying to save up for a 2019 vacation.  I told him about this sale and he was like "I thought we were trying to save money."  But... but... then I have to wait until July! I think I managed to bargain to get a couple.  Lol.  The others that I want will be on my Christmas list that I'll send to my family.  Haha.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Thanks for the heads-up, guys. I just ordered three!

Just out of curiosity, what did you choose?

1 minute ago, BingFan said:

Just out of curiosity, what did you choose?

Some oddball choices: Dragon Inn (1967), La Haine (1995), and The Lure (2015). 

No major classics, but I already have a couple of hundred Criterion discs, so there's not much left that I want and don't already have. I'm debating about splurging on the Zatoichi set as my Christmas present to myself, but I'll have to see if my budget will allow it. I also have a few of the upcoming releases on pre-order: The Magnificent AmbersonsIn the Heat of the Night, and Notorious.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Some oddball choices: Dragon Inn (1967), La Haine (1995), and The Lure (2015). 

No major classics, but I already have a couple of hundred Criterion discs, so there's not much left that I want and don't already have. I'm debating about splurging on the Zatoichi set as my Christmas present to myself, but I'll have to see if my budget will allow it. I also have a few of the upcoming releases on pre-order: The Magnificent AmbersonsIn the Heat of the Night, and Notorious.

The Criterion edition of La Haine has been on TCM before (or it may have been from Janus. I don't remember). Either way, it was pretty good and looked touched up. I hope you enjoy your copy!

So I ended up for sure picking up two releases: The Magnificent Ambersons and To Be or Not to Be.   The rest of the films I wanted were placed on a Christmas list, so we'll see what I end up with.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone else has gotten their copy of The Magnificent Ambersons yet (probably because I ordered kind of late), but it's so cool.  The blu ray comes in a cardboard sleeve (instead of the normal clear plastic case) with a cardboard case.  Inside, there's a small replica of Orson Welles' original treatment document for the film! There are even "pencil" marks on the book. 

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't know if anyone else has gotten their copy of The Magnificent Ambersons yet (probably because I ordered kind of late), but it's so cool.  The blu ray comes in a cardboard sleeve (instead of the normal clear plastic case) with a cardboard case.  Inside, there's a small replica of Orson Welles' original treatment document for the film! There are even "pencil" marks on the book. 

I got mine, as well. A few of the Criterion discs are in those cardboard cases (Dr. StrangeloveDazed & Confused, a few others). I like it better than the Princess Bride faux-book case, the spine of which got a bit squashed during transport in the mail.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I got mine, as well. A few of the Criterion discs are in those cardboard cases (Dr. StrangeloveDazed & Confused, a few others). I like it better than the Princess Bride faux-book case, the spine of which got a bit squashed during transport in the mail.

Now to play the waiting game to see what movies I get for Christmas.  I already know that my husband got me The Beatles' "Revolver" album on vinyl and a new record player! The Amazon shipping alert popped up on my phone.  Oops!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1