Dr. Rich Edwards

Club Slapstick: Looking for Presenters!

7 posts in this topic

Hi #SlapstickFall Students:

A new wrinkle to our TCM course this year is my attempt to get more of the experts and superfans who enrolled in TCM Presents Painfully Funny: Exploring Slapstick in the Movies to present to the course.

My idea is to use Google Hangouts to host a weekly "fan panel" where 3-4 students can present in a video conference. Also, we can record the videos and share these videos with other students. 

I'm using a website, Call4Paperz.com, so students can suggest topics: http://bit.ly/2bqjjft

At this website, you can set up an account (it's free) and then submit a brief abstract of what you would want to present on. I'm thinking each student could get about 10 minutes to present. 

Also, at Call4Paperz.com, other students can vote, so that we can use crowdsourcing and voting to determine the panels the students most want to see and hear - so even if you don't have an idea to pitch, consider voting for someone else's idea!

I am hoping to line up the first panel for this Friday with 3-4 students and record at a mutually convenient time. 

Let me know what you think!

Thanks, Dr. Rich Edwards

• Like 1

Dear fellow students:

While the majority of us (myself included) do not have the expertise to make a presentation such as Dr. Edwards is proposing, every one of us can benefit from viewing these presentations.  That’s the beauty of these online classes.  There are so many of us, with such a range of experience and expertise, that every one of us can learn something from every other one of us.

So I urge all of you to follow the link to Call4Paperz and vote for the presentation(s) which you would most like to see.  Some very interesting topics have been proposed already.  It’s easy to sign up and vote.  Even an old duffer like me can do it.

• Like 3

I've had an interest in comedy and film since I can remember, but I certainly don't have the expertise. I also have a constantly changing work schedule that would make participating near impossible. 

However, I'd love to vote on topics and watch the completed videos. I think it would be great to not only further my education but also get to know my fellow classmates! I hope a lot of students are able to participate and I look forward to watching the finished product! Good luck! 

I might be able to help

Excellent! Let me know if you need any help from me. Otherwise, go to http://call4paperz.com/events/club-slapstick-fan-panel-1-what-is-slapstick and propose a topic or vote for someone else's topic!

Thanks for your willingness to participate! Club Slapstick is a new approach to getting more voices into these kinds of online courses. 

Best, Dr. E. 

It is fun to see "ordinary people" given the opportunity to share the limelight with the presenters on the TCM channel.  I like to hear the back stories of a movie or even a scene.  I think Lucille Ball could have had a good final run if she would have had a show that would play the original I Love Lucy, and just commented on the episode.   I'm sure she had lots of back stories. 

• Like 1