TopBilled

When does FilmStruck launch..?

74 posts in this topic

I've been trying to find out when the Criterion collection leaves Hulu.

Since late April, there haven't been any more announcements about Turner's new streaming service known as FilmStruck, which will show the Criterion films. All I keep finding is it will launch in the fall, during the third quarter.

The third quarter ends September 30th. So does this mean FilmStruck is launching in the coming month? Or will FilmStruck's launch be delayed until the fourth quarter?

If anyone has any information, please post...! Thanks.

I've been involved with the Beta-testing, but there haven't been any announcements about when it goes live. Most of the bugs seem to be worked out, at least on the standard PC-streaming version. They are also testing on various other platforms, such as on Amazon Fire TV, and other devices. I don't know what the progress is on those, though.

• Like 1

I've been involved with the Beta-testing, but there haven't been any announcements about when it goes live. Most of the bugs seem to be worked out, at least on the standard PC-streaming version. They are also testing on various other platforms, such as on Amazon Fire TV, and other devices. I don't know what the progress is on those, though.

Thanks Larry. Do you know if people who have Roku smart TVs will be able to get FilmStruck, like we do with Hulu, Amazon Prime and Sling?

According to the Criterion site (https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/4032-introducing-filmstruck), Criterion will still be on Hulu "into the month of November". No idea when Filmstruck actually launches.

Good to know, MiddleGround. That's exactly the type of information I was needing. I believe FilmStruck is also going to feature non-Criterion titles from the Warner Archives. Is that correct? If so, does this mean Turner is doing away with the Warner Instant streaming site? Or is FilmStruck going to focus primarily on art films?

Thanks Larry. Do you know if people who have Roku smart TVs will be able to get FilmStruck, like we do with Hulu, Amazon Prime and Sling?

That may be one of the other devices they are testing...when I was first signed up, they had a long list of devices and services that they asked if I had/used. The only one I had was Amazon Fire TV, so that's all they've discussed with me, other than standard streaming.

• Like 1

That may be one of the other devices they are testing...when I was first signed up, they had a long list of devices and services that they asked if I had/used. The only one I had was Amazon Fire TV, so that's all they've discussed with me, other than standard streaming.

Okay. Thanks.

Good to know, MiddleGround. That's exactly the type of information I was needing. I believe FilmStruck is also going to feature non-Criterion titles from the Warner Archives. Is that correct? If so, does this mean Turner is doing away with the Warner Instant streaming site? Or is FilmStruck going to focus primarily on art films?

They've only had Criterion titles on the Beta. 90% foreign, 5% documentaries, 5% classics. 

They've only had Criterion titles on the Beta. 90% foreign, 5% documentaries, 5% classics. 

Looks like we've been posting at the same time. LOL  When you say 5% classics, are you referring to the classic Hollywood titles that Criterion has restored, or do you mean classic titles in the Warner Archive? My understanding is that while Criterion will be a huge part of FilmStruck's offerings, there will be a batch of titles we ordinarily see on TCM that fall under Warners' ownership.

Looks like we've been posting at the same time. LOL  When you say 5% classics, are you referring to the classic Hollywood titles that Criterion has restored, or do you mean classic titles in the Warner Archive? My understanding is that while Criterion will be a huge part of FilmStruck's offerings, there will be a batch of titles we ordinarily see on TCM that fall under Warners' ownership.

No, everything seems to be Criterion titles, and no Warner Archive titles. The classics I referred to are films like Rembrandt, Pygmalion, The Thief of Bagdad, Stagecoach, Major Barbra, the Paul Robeson set films...all of which have been released by Criterion in the past.

But also remember that the Beta line-up, although containing 218 titles, is just a fraction of what the live service will supposedly offer. There hasn't been any mention of the Warner Archive at all during the Beta, though. 

• Like 1

No, everything seems to be Criterion titles, and no Warner Archive titles. The classics I referred to are films like Rembrandt, Pygmalion, The Thief of Bagdad, Stagecoach, Major Barbra, the Paul Robeson set films...all of which have been released by Criterion in the past.

But also remember that the Beta line-up, although containing 218 titles, is just a fraction of what the live service will supposedly offer. There hasn't been any mention of the Warner Archive at all during the Beta, though. 

Interesting. On Hulu, there are over 500 Criterion titles. 

Have they discussed pricing? I read they will charge around $10 per month.

Interesting. On Hulu, there are over 500 Criterion titles. 

Have they discussed pricing? I read they will charge around $10 per month.

No, they haven't. It's just been a technical Beta-test, with no mentions of pricing, marketing, or anything else.

No, they haven't. It's just been a technical Beta-test, with no mentions of pricing, marketing, or anything else.

Thank you for the updates. It is much appreciated.

• Like 1

FilmStruck confirmed on their twitter account that the service would not overlap with the TCM network/on-demand service, so I'm 95% sure it will be almost entirely titles from the Criterion collection. There may be the occasional Warner movie, but I'd expect it to be almost entirely Criterion.

The thing I'm completely confused about is that they're apparently going to offer an additional 'Criterion' tier which costs more? So I don't actually understand what kind of titles the main service will actually feature. It's all very confusing.

FilmStruck confirmed on their twitter account that the service would not overlap with the TCM network/on-demand service, so I'm 95% sure it will be almost entirely titles from the Criterion collection. There may be the occasional Warner movie, but I'd expect it to be almost entirely Criterion.

The thing I'm completely confused about is that they're apparently going to offer an additional 'Criterion' tier which costs more? So I don't actually understand what kind of titles the main service will actually feature. It's all very confusing.

Perhaps Larry knows more. If they're offering a Criterion tier, then wouldn't it suggest there will be some Warner films on the main tier? They could still offer WB, MGM, UA and RKO titles that are not scheduled on TCM during a given month. 

There hasn't been any mention of Tiers, or anything of that nature. It's just a sampling of the Criterion catalog at the moment. However, there are a very few films that have not been released in the US on disc that are available. These are more foreign films though. 

When the site is launched, there will be many more films than the 218 available at the moment, I'm sure. But so far, this has only been an outlet for Criterion films, and no other catalogs, and no mention has been made of any other catalogs being added, at least not on the site itself, nor in any communications with them. 

I do not follow them on social media at all; no Twitter, no Facebook, etc, so I can't speak to any announcements made on those platforms.  However, I do see this section on the official Criterion website, in part of their announcement of the service, which makes it sound like there will be additional sections when it is up and running:

FilmStruck subscribers will also be eligible to sign up for the Criterion Channel, a premium service that will be all Criterion’s own. Once we’re up and running, the Criterion Channel will not only offer continual access to our library of more than 1,100 films, along with their special features, it will also give us the chance to approach the Criterion mission in a whole new way. 

• Like 3

FilmStruck subscribers will also be eligible to sign up for the Criterion Channel, a premium service that will be all Criterion’s own. Once we’re up and running, the Criterion Channel will not only offer continual access to our library of more than 1,100 films, along with their special features, it will also give us the chance to approach the Criterion mission in a whole new way. 

One thing I am not seeing here is whether Criterion films will still air on TCM. I would assume they will...which means there is going to be some overlap between what is available on FilmStruck and what is broadcasting on the TCM and Watch TCM.

I just completed a survey for FilmStruck which may have been the final one, and in it, they state that the service will go live in October.

• Like 1

I just completed a survey for FilmStruck which may have been the final one, and in it, they state that the service will go live in October.

Great. You've been very good about keeping us informed. Thank you!

Quick update: The FilmStruck beta testing ended this past week, with a message that the service will go live by the end of October. I took one last lengthy survey, and I suggested adding more classic films.

• Like 1

Quick update: The FilmStruck beta testing ended this past week, with a message that the service will go live by the end of October. I took one last lengthy survey, and I suggested adding more classic films.

What percentage of the titles will be classic films?

What percentage of the titles will be classic films?

I have no idea. The beta I was in was all Criterion titles, with ~80% being pre-1970, but most were foreign language.

I have no idea. The beta I was in was all Criterion titles, with ~80% being pre-1970, but most were foreign language.

Yes, I figure there will be many foreign language classics. As well as British titles.