Sign in to follow this  
rayban

MATT BOMER CONTROVERSY

57 posts in this topic

Well, there are certain things described in a cast breakdown that one must adhere to. Munchkin would be one, "black person engaged to a white woman" would be another.  I'm talking about just casting white people in an office setting, or having a white man or white woman cast for no special reason, or an attorney being a man when there's nothing in the script that says he has to be. These things are done every day because it's fast and requires no thought. It's like putting a robber in a hoodie, or in the old days, camouflage so you'd know he was a drug-addicted Vietnam vet. No reason someone in an office can't be in a wheelchair, for instance. 

Casting against type is a whole other subject and quite interesting if done right. I think Liz Taylor as Martha in Virginia Wolff is a good example. An example of it done pathetically is when john C. Riley was cast as Stanley Kowalski.  I'm sure the director thought well, you know, when you think about it, Stanley would look like that. Yeah, maybe A Stanley, a blue collar worker in New Orleans of Polish extraction who bowls and plays cards would look like that but take a look at the play why don't you. THIS Stanley is macho and sexy - he's the New South stomping out the old.  

Stanley Kowalski has to be played by a sexy man - John C Rieley is not sexy

I am NOT saying that a straight actor cannot play a gay man.

I AM saying that a gay man could play it better.

Why is the film version of "The Boys In The Band" so very compelling - even after all these years?

The reason is that almost all of the actors are GAY MEN.

So are you ALSO saying that a non-gay actor could play a non-gay character better than a gay man?

• Like 1

This Matt Bomer film, which has stirred so much controversery, is now titled "Anything".

It is directed by Tim McNeil from his own play.

It is about a trans sex worker who becomes involved with a widower.

It opens in Los Angeles on June 17.

Matt_Bomer_Anything_Screenshot_600_by_40

• Like 1

This Matt Bomer film, which has stirred so much controversery, is now titled "Anything".

Will you be seeing it when it makes it to the east coast? If so, you'll have to share your thoughts (review).

• Like 1

Matt_Bomer_Anything_Screenshot_600_by_40

He looks hot as either sex

• Like 1