Sign in to follow this  
DJBeacon

New "Blair Witch" Coming

16 posts in this topic

I see another "Blair Witch" movie is coming in a few weeks.

I enjoyed the original but my wife hated it.  I guess the hand held camera is the main reason because she also hates "Cloverfield".

I think the original "Blair Witch" works because of the dream-like nature of the film allows your imagination to take over and create even more fear and horror.  The ending sequence definitely makes me uncomfortable with the basement discovery.  The things nightmares are made of.

Not likely, even if I offer a big tub of popcorn.

Just like the Ben Affleck Batman and "Suicide Squad", a definite No Go.

But I'm looking forward to "Arrival" in a few months.

The original remains the best found footage film.

BLAIR WITCH 2 was somewhat disappointing. It looks like they will be able to successfully revive the franchise. There's a whole new generation of teens who will flock to see the new version in droves.

BLAIR WITCH 2 was somewhat disappointing. It looks like they will be able to successfully revive the franchise. There's a whole new generation of teens who will flock to see the new version in droves

You are right about their target audience- the first sequel did not work because it was done as conventional horror movie and it was not very scary.

You are right about their target audience- the first sequel did not work because it was done as conventional horror movie and it was not very scary.

Plus it will attract a slightly older audience, the fans of the original.  

Some films should be remade or rebooted (and others should not). This is a case where it makes sense to dust the cobwebs off the first one to scare up some box office business.

The new film is a direct sequel to the first film. The main character of this movie is supposed to be the brother of the girl from the first film.

I will see it eventually, as I try to see all genre films, but I'm not too excited. I respect the success of the first film, and I acknowledge the impact that it made when released. I even placed it on my list of the top 100 horror films of all time. But I didn't actually like the movie. At all. It seemed to be a major missed opportunity, where just a little something here or there could have added tremendously. Many people enjoy the lack of anything substantial being seen on screen, as they felt it could be envisioned by the viewer. But to me, it ended up being three irritating people getting lost and scared in the woods. I don't mind the found footage genre; there are a few that I like a lot. The shakey cam didn't bother me, especially as it fit with the style of the film. I just never felt the fear. I saw it in the theater with a friend, and he wasn't impressed, either. But two other friends saw it later that night, and they were terrified. 

• Like 2

The new film is a direct sequel to the first film. The main character of this movie is supposed to be the brother of the girl from the first film.

I will see it eventually, as I try to see all genre films, but I'm not too excited. I respect the success of the first film, and I acknowledge the impact that it made when released. I even placed it on my list of the top 100 horror films of all time. But I didn't actually like the movie. At all. It seemed to be a major missed opportunity, where just a little something here or there could have added tremendously. Many people enjoy the lack of anything substantial being seen on screen, as they felt it could be envisioned by the viewer. But to me, it ended up being three irritating people getting lost and scared in the woods. I don't mind the found footage genre; there are a few that I like a lot. The shakey cam didn't bother me, especially as it fit with the style of the film. I just never felt the fear. I saw it in the theater with a friend, and he wasn't impressed, either. But two other friends saw it later that night, and they were terrified. 

Interesting post, Larry. Maybe you just needed to see it later at night, say around midnight. LOL

If the new picture is being termed a direct sequel to the original, it sounds like they are just trying to act as if BLAIR WITCH 2 never existed. So can we say they are ret-conning? Or is the story going in a different direction this time?

Interesting post, Larry. Maybe you just needed to see it later at night, say around midnight. LOL

If the new picture is being termed a direct sequel to the original, it sounds like they are just trying to act as if BLAIR WITCH 2 never existed. So can we say they are ret-conning? Or is the story going in a different direction this time?

The first trailers called it the generic "The Woods"

• Like 1

The first trailers called it the generic "The Woods"

Yes, supposedly they were afraid preview audiences would complain about it being a reboot. 

That was an aspect that the original Blair Witch hit out of the park, and actually changed the movie business. The film was considered the first movie that really exploited the internet for marketing purposes. I don't know how many of you recall, but there was a time, and quite a lengthy time, when the film was promoted, and many people believed, that is was real. They originally marketed it as being the found footage of an actual documentary being made by some young filmmakers that disappeared. There were websites set up that looked to be legitimate that were "In Memoriam" sites with bios of the "missing and presumed dead" filmmakers, there were articles published in magazines that treated the whole thing as a real murder mystery, and they even had the actors lay low and out of sight until the movie was released.

The film played at a few film festivals, with audiences that believed what they were seeing was real, and that helped establish the initial ecstatic word-of-mouth. Eventually a few reporters started wondering about this story of missing people and the urban legend of a local witch that stole children. Of course, it wasn't long before they uncovered the truth, that it was a marketing hoax, and that the actors were alive and well. This, coupled with a very silly Syfy channel special that purported to tell more about the "real" Blair Witch, helped dispel any lingering notions that this was a real story. At this point though, the film was in the public consciousness enough to propel it to huge success, whether or not it was fictitious. 

I remember reading one of the original articles that presented it as a real documentary, and I was very excited to see it. I didn't believe that I was going to see an actual presentation of supernatural evil, but rather a possible cult murder, or some other murder mystery type of story. If I had been able to actually see the movie while still believing that it was real, I would probably have been blown away. 

I think the effort to hide the identity of this new movie until the "last minute" was also perhaps influenced by the marketing shenanigans they used with the first film. It was something else to generate pre-release headlines, and additional free exposure.

• Like 3

The original film had a brilliant marketing campaign- yes I was one of those people who was fulled into thinking it was a real "documentary" - I actually saw a cut of the film which a friend had found poster on line ( was this a publicity stunt too?)

I think the effort to hide the identity of this new movie until the "last minute" was also perhaps influenced by the marketing shenanigans they used with the first film. It was something else to generate pre-release headlines, and additional free exposure.

Right...they're taking a page out of the Orson Welles War of the Worlds free publicity manual.