Sign in to follow this  
Terrence1

"Gunfight at Dodge City"

8 posts in this topic

I wanted to pass along to any Westerns fans who may not have heard of this.  It's playing twice today on the Encore Westerns channel.  I've seen it several times over the years, and I recall it being a better-than-average Western.  it stars the always reliable Joel McCrea and has great parts for two beautiful women who knew their way around the Westerns towns of the studio backlots:  Julie Adams and Nancy Gates.  If you have some time to spare today, this might be a pleasant way to enjoy a couple of hours.

Terrence.

• Like 2

Yes...this is a nicely made picture from the late 50s. It was one of McCrea's final westerns. Julie Adams had previously worked with supporting player John McIntire in THE LAWLESS BREED. 

• Like 1

I've seen this before and enjoyed it also.  The ladies roles were interesting because Julia/Julie Adams did opposing ones in this and The Lawless breed.  In that one she's the saloon girl who beats out the nice girl to get the guy where here her prim preacher's daughter loses him to Nancy Gates's dance hall girl.  (Both times you cheer).  While historically suspect it is an likable film.  Joel never let us down.

The first film I ever saw him in, Wells Fargo, was also on last week.  When I graduated from  grammar school we were treated to this and Shane on a double feature followed by a cookout in the country where we got to socialize with a horse.  Not knowing who Mr. McCrea was then I was more impressed that Johnny Mack Brown, who I'd spent many a Saturday afternoon with on film, was in it.  Liked it as much as I did then.   

• Like 1

Wouldbestar, I enjoyed your memories of years past.  I also enjoyed McCrea in "Trooper Hook" with his frequent co-star, Barbara Stanwyck.  He played a very interesting character.  And I thought that in "Gunfight" both of the women's parts were well defined.  I think it was a bit of a departure to have Nancy Gates play the saloon girl.

• Like 1

I also enjoyed McCrea in "Trooper Hook" with his frequent co-star, Barbara Stanwyck.  He played a very interesting character. 

I just saw Barbara Stanwyck in a very similar role on Wagon Train.  I like this movie too and think it makes a great counterpoint to another of his films whose name escapes me.  He plays a soldier who's the exact opposite of "Trooper Hook", one whose hatred of "Indians" is so great it causes his downfall and nearly that of those around him.  His costars are Susan Cabot and, I think, John Russell.  He plays both hero and villain to perfection.  

• Like 1

I just saw Barbara Stanwyck in a very similar role on Wagon Train.  I like this movie too and think it makes a great counterpoint to another of his films whose name escapes me.  He plays a soldier who's the exact opposite of "Trooper Hook", one whose hatred of "Indians" is so great it causes his downfall and nearly that of those around him.  His costars are Susan Cabot and, I think, John Russell.  He plays both hero and villain to perfection.  

Sounds like you are referring to FORT MASSACRE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Massacre