Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Jack Buetel's relationship with Howard Hughes as depicted in THE OUTLAW

90 posts in this topic

I have a feeling the film was distributed during the war so soldiers could watch it overseas. A rare screening in San Francisco and Jane's photo everywhere would not have been enough-- those guys probably saw the film during the war. And then when it had wider distribution after the war, they went to see it again. 

It's ironic the way Jane Russell was used to sell it, when it's really told with Buetel's character as the center of the action (in more ways than one).

Well... as we all realize... Jane Russell emphasizing her bosom even before many saw that film would have been viewed at the time as more acceptable.

A side note that probably has nothing to do with anything, but you know how silly I am.

I have read quite a bit about culture and society during World War II. There was a LOT of, shall we say, "bro-bonding" in the armed forces, especially with fewer women available and a strong desire for, ahem, "release" regardless of how you got it. It was an easier climate for men to experiment with their desires in ways that conservatives were less approving. I also humorously (and don't everybody take me 100% seriously here) wonder if the 1946-47 Baby Boom just might be attributed to many ex-GIs returning "back to hetero-normal". I still find it hard to believe ALL of them privately pleasured themselves solely on Betty Grable pin-ups as every history book claims. While popular stories and movies covering WW1 were more lenient (and there is plenty of same sex eroticism in films like Wings and, to a lesser degree, Hughes' own Hell's Angels), there curiously seems to have been more of a coverup after the second war. (We can even add how Crossfire changed its script for 1947 audiences here.)

It is possible, in theory, that the lifting of some of the censorship, not only for pin-up actresses promoted to "remind soldiers who they are fighting for" but also a tolerance of previously taboo subjects (i.e. The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek could bend a few rules with Betty Hutton not being sure she is married before discovering she's "on the nest" and Wolfy getting as-stiff-as-a-board reacting to Red Hot Riding Hood) was encouraged because all heterosexuality, regardless if it fit pre-war society prudishness or not, was considered to be the "necessary sin" by those in charge of censorship.

• Like 3

Jlewis,

Your post is excellent. So gals like Jane Russell and Betty Grable are aiding in a cover-up of homoerotic desires, that is what you're saying, correct?

In the case of the Preston Sturges film, comedies were allowed to break the rules a bit more because it was thought nobody took their hijinks seriously.

• Like 2

Jlewis,

Your post is excellent. So gals like Jane Russell and Betty Grable are aiding in a cover-up of homoerotic desires, that is what you're saying, correct?

In the case of the Preston Sturges film, comedies were allowed to break the rules a bit more because it was thought nobody took their hijinks seriously.

Well... kinda, but not entirely. That is why I warned against taking me 100% seriously. There were still a lot of soldiers who were ONLY into their Pin Up Girls or That Girl/Wife Back Home. Yet I do think the military and society was trying to suppress quite a bit that wasn't. Also just because you might try something different in times of war does not mean you are willing to try it again if you are back in an environment dominated by family, religion and society which doesn't approve. I never saw the movie Before Stonewall, but I wonder if that has interviews from veterans remembering what all happened back then. The Alfred Kinsey reports were conducted during the war and shortly after. When published in January 1948, an awful lot was revealed that society was shocked by. Few people are either 100% straight or gay, but somewhere in-between... aka bisexual. Hepclassic and I had a hilarious discussion of this on a previous thread and so many commented "that can't be!" Yet that is what Kinsey was suggesting, not me personally.

I must say that I never knew that Howard Hughes was quite fluid in his appetite and this thread has been a fun read. It is interesting that McCarthyism went after gays with a vengeance, assuming such "deviant" behavior also suggested communist sympathies. Also, when running RKO, Hughes was quite the anti-commie friendly witness. Makes you wonder what all HE was covering up.

• Like 2

I must say that I never knew that Howard Hughes was quite fluid in his appetite and this thread has been a fun read. It is interesting that McCarthyism went after gays with a vengeance, assuming such "deviant" behavior also suggested communist sympathies. Also, when running RKO, Hughes was quite the anti-commie friendly witness. Makes you wonder what all HE was covering up.

Yes, Hughes had his own personal demons while dealing with the "enemy."

• Like 1

I think both of us are right in our intuition. You need a "front" so that nobody will question you. If you are busy searching for commies on the RKO payroll, nobody will feel a need to snoop where they shouldn't.

Hughes was always more comfy in his airplanes, flying high above all of the restrictions of the world. Then became a hermit in hiding during his later years. He was worse than Greta Garbo. I want to be aloooone.

• Like 2

I think both of us are right in our intuition. You need a "front" so that nobody will question you. If you are busy searching for commies on the RKO payroll, nobody will feel a need to snoop where they shouldn't.

Hughes was always more comfy in his airplanes, flying high above all of the restrictions of the world. Then became a hermit in hiding during his later years. He was worse than Greta Garbo. I want to be aloooone.

Reminds me of the Orson Welles film CONFIDENTIAL REPORT (a.k.a. MR. ARKADIN) made in the 50s. Of course, Welles' reclusive character had a daughter-- Hughes didn't have any children, to my knowledge, and died alone without family.

• Like 2

There were so many women - and men - in Howard Hughes' life.

Today, we would simply say that he was "sexually fluid".

But perhaps his most bizarre relationship was with Jack Buetel, whom he kept in a kind of sexual bondage for 11 years.  

• Like 1

There were so many women - and men - in Howard Hughes' life.

Today, we would simply say that he was "sexually fluid".

But perhaps his most bizarre relationship was with Jack Buetel, whom he kept in a kind of sexual bondage for 11 years.  

Do you think Rock Hudson was another obsession of his? He was said to have watched ICE STATION ZEBRA 150 times. LOL

• Like 1

He's believed to have been instrumental in the murder of David Bacon, an actor who first tested for Billy the Kid in "The Outlaw" and was threatening to expose him - AS A HOMOSEXUAL!

He's believed to have been instrumental in the murder of David Bacon, an actor who first tested for Billy the Kid in "The Outlaw" and was threatening to expose him - AS A HOMOSEXUAL!

A new development...hadn't heard of that before. LOL

• Like 1

.....Also just because you might try something different in times of war does not mean you are willing to try it again if you are back in an environment dominated by family, religion and society which doesn't approve. I never saw the movie Before Stonewall, but I wonder if that has interviews from veterans remembering what all happened back then. The Alfred Kinsey reports were conducted during the war and shortly after. When published in January 1948, an awful lot was revealed that society was shocked by. Few people are either 100% straight or gay, but somewhere in-between... aka bisexual.

There was a really good documentary back in the mid-1990's called Coming Out Under Fire, based on an earlier book of the same name. There were lengthy interviews with a number of WWII veterans, male and female. Some if the interviewees in Before Stonewall were also veterans and their wartime experiences figured into their stories. I think you're right to point out that Kinsey must have relied heavily on interviews with men whose experiences and attitudes in the military were still fresh in their minds. 

• Like 3

It still amazes me I can't find any pictures of Hughes and Buetel. How could someone not have taken a photo of them together? Maybe Hughes had all copies bought and destroyed.

Bonus points to anyone reading the thread who can locate a picture of these two. :)

• Like 2

I found a picture of Howard Hughes on the set of "The Outlaw".

He was standing with screenwriter, Jules Furthman.

Originally, Ben Hecht was assigned to write the screenplay, but Howard Hughes did not like his treatment of the material.

However, TPTB are not allowing me to post the picture.

How come? 

• Like 1

I found a picture of Howard Hughes on the set of "The Outlaw".

He was standing with screenwriter, Jules Furthman.

Originally, Ben Hecht was assigned to write the screenplay, but Howard Hughes did not like his treatment of the material.

However, TPTB are not allowing me to post the picture.

How come? 

Is it just him standing next to Furthman? Maybe this is the one:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-16%2Bat%2B5.36.4

I also saw one of him directing Walter Huston on set, but none of him with Jack Buetel.

• Like 1

Is it just him standing next to Furthman? Maybe this is the one:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-09-16%2Bat%2B5.36.4

I also saw one of him directing Walter Huston on set, but none of him with Jack Buetel.

Yes, Jarrod, that picture is the one.

• Like 1

Howard Hughes is a perfect example of the very wealthy and very powerful men in Hollywood who let loose with their raging sexual appetites which, of course, include women AND men.

At the time that Howard Hughes was involved with Jack Buetel, he was also involved with Faith Domerque (sp?).

While he managed to destroy Jack Buetel's career, he didn't quite manage to destroy Faith Domerque's career.

But, then, Jack Buetel was there to provide "the juice" that Howard Hughes needed for his sexual exploits.

I suspect that Jack Buetel probably wrote about his relationship with Howard Hughes and that this book is probably lying around somewhere in an attic or a basement.     

Howard Hughes is a perfect example of the very wealthy and very powerful men in Hollywood who let loose with their raging sexual appetites which, of course, include women AND men.

At the time that Howard Hughes was involved with Jack Buetel, he was also involved with Faith Domerque (sp?).

While he managed to destroy Jack Buetel's career, he didn't quite manage to destroy Faith Domerque's career.

But, then, Jack Buetel was there to provide "the juice" that Howard Hughes needed for his sexual exploits.

I suspect that Jack Buetel probably wrote about his relationship with Howard Hughes and that this book is probably lying around somewhere in an attic or a basement.     

I wonder if there is a connection between being rich and powerful and being bisexual.   E.g. being rich and powerful increases opportunity, as well as access,  and this leads to more bisexual encounters\relationships.

• Like 1

The correct spelling is Domergue (with a 'G')...and I believe it's pronounced Duh-myure. Her career was definitely hindered by Hughes during the late 40s and early 50s. She escaped the curse though when she was able to freelance in the mid-50s. Universal and Republic were eager to hire her and she made some decent westerns during those years. Especially noteworthy is the Trucolor classic Republic did called SANTA FE PASSAGE which paired her with hunky John Payne and equally hunky Rod Cameron. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe_Passage

• Like 1

The correct spelling is Domergue (with a 'G')...and I believe it's pronounced Duh-myure. Her career was definitely hindered by Hughes during the late 40s and early 50s. She escaped the curse though when she was able to freelance in the mid-50s. Universal and Republic were eager to hire her and she made some decent westerns during those years. Especially noteworthy is the Trucolor classic Republic did called SANTA FE PASSAGE which paired her with hunky John Payne and equally hunky Rod Cameron. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe_Passage

Jarrod -

Why do I always remember her in the film in which she was able to transform herself into a snake?

• Like 1

Jarrod -

Why do I always remember her in the film in which she was able to transform herself into a snake?

I don't know. LOL We'll leave that one to the Freudian psychologists to figure out.

• Like 1

I don't know. LOL We'll leave that one to the Freudian psychologists to figure out.

Maybe because she was surrounded by all those good-looking guys.

• Like 2

Well, today, on TCM, in her introduction to "The Outlaw", Alicia Malone got it all wrong.

It wasn't about Jane Russell's breasts.

Although her breasts were used to sell the film.

It was really about a very good-looking boy by the name of Jack Buetel.

Really looking at the film is the proof.

Mr. Buetel was having a sexual relationship with Mr. Hughes.

original-film-title-the-outlaw-english-t

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rayban said:

Well, today, on TCM, in her introduction to "The Outlaw", Alicia Malone got it all wrong.

It wasn't about Jane Russell's breasts.

Although her breasts were used to sell the film.

It was really about a very good-looking boy by the name of Jack Buetel.

Really looking at the film is the proof.

Mr. Buetel was having a sexual relationship with Mr. Hughes.

Thanks Ray for commenting. I wasn't watching TCM earlier and did not see the intro. Russell was marketed as a heterosexual fetish to sell a movie that was created because of a filmmaker's homoerotic fetishes.

I think it's sad that Russell's legacy continues to be based on her participation in this film. She was used. And anyone who naively pushes this as some sort of great thing on Russell's behalf really is doing her an injustice. In this case we have a classic film intro that is only adding to the deception/problem.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 1:52 PM, TopBilled said:

Thanks Ray for commenting. I wasn't watching TCM earlier and did not see the intro. Russell was marketed as a heterosexual fetish to sell a movie that was created because of a filmmaker's homoerotic fetishes.

I think it's sad that Russell's legacy continues to be based on her participation in this film. She was used. And anyone who naively pushes this as some sort of great thing on Russell's behalf really is doing her an injustice. In this case we have a classic film intro that is only adding to the deception/problem.

The film is about the relationship between an older man - Doc Holliday - and a younger man - Billy The Kid.

It actually mirrors what was going on behind the scenes.

Howard Hawks was the director for a short time.

Howard Hughes finally took over. 

And Jack Buetel is the actual object of desire

Not Jane Russell.

b8a2c4e771b07b32af47bf57b31234db.jpg

• Like 2