Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Jack Buetel's relationship with Howard Hughes as depicted in THE OUTLAW

90 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

This photo tells it all, two older men fighting over a twink.

The_Outlaw_(1943)_2.jpg

Yes, interesting photo. THE OUTLAW is a strange-strange movie from start to finish.

But...it's highly entertaining.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Swithin said:

This photo tells it all, two older men fighting over a twink.

The_Outlaw_(1943)_2.jpg

 

 

Yes, Pat Garrett (Thomas Mitchell) was very jealous of the relationshop between Doc Holliday (Walter Huston) and Billy The Kid (Jack Buetel).  

Walter Huston was obviously aware of "the insider information" and plays it to the hilt.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Airing on the 28th of November:

screen-shot-2018-11-26-at-11-59-12-am.jp

8:00 p.m. The Outlaw (1943)

10:15 p.m. His Kind of Woman (1951)

12:30 a.m. Young Widow (1946)

2:30 a.m. The Las Vegas Story (1952)

4:15 a.m. The Fuzzy Pink Nightgown (1957)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How Jane Russell managed to sell "The Outlaw" as a film about her and her sexiness and her breasts is one of the everlasting yarns of Hollywood "mythmaking".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, rayban said:

How Jane Russell managed to sell "The Outlaw" as a film about her and her sexiness and her breasts is one of the everlasting yarns of Hollywood "mythmaking".

She made a lot of bad films. YOUNG WIDOW is unwatchable. THE LAS VEGAS STORY is mediocre. THE FUZZY PINK NIGHTGOWN is a misfire from start to finish. Sometimes Jane's sexiness was the only thing that kept people from falling asleep.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight at 8PM the truth will be offered - "The Outlaw" is about the love affair between Billy the Kid and Doc Holliday.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rayban said:

Tonight at 8PM the truth will be offered - "The Outlaw" is about the love affair between Billy the Kid and Doc Holliday.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what the wraparound comments are for this film tonight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, it will be interesting to see what the wraparound comments are for this film tonight.

When "The Outlaw" was shown on TCM about two months ago, the wraparound did not acknowledge the true nature of the film.

IT IS A GAY FILM.

Howard Hughes was not coveting Jane Russell's breasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rayban said:

When "The Outlaw" was shown on TCM about two months ago, the wraparound did not acknowledge the true nature of the film.

IT IS A GAY FILM.

Howard Hughes was not coveting Jane Russell's breasts.

screen-shot-2018-11-29-at-7-13-25-am.jpg

Yes, that's why I created this thread. It's a classic case of bait and switch. They were baiting audiences with a straight sex object (Jane Russell) but it was a story about a gay sex object (Jack Beutel). The famous poster of Jane's cleavage continues to obfuscate this. If they had done a poster emphasizing Beutel's buttocks or his groin, it would have been too much for audiences to handle...even more scandalous.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole film is a testament to an older man's worship of a beautiful young man.

People complain about Jack Buetel's "performance".

He wasn't asked to act.

He was asked to be "beautiful" and "alluring".

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

 

screen-shot-2018-11-29-at-7-13-25-am.jpg

 

Yes, that's why I created this thread. It's a classic case of bait and switch. They were baiting audiences with a straight sex object (Jane Russell) but it was a story about a gay sex object (Jack Beutel). The famous poster of Jane's cleavage continues to obfuscate this. If they had done a poster emphasizing Beutel's buttocks or his groin, it would have been too much for audiences to handle...even more scandalous.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another director, other than Howard Hughes, who had the courage to deal with his same-sex attraction, was, of course, Luchino Viscounti, in his epic film, "Ludwig".

  MV5BNDYxODQxYjUtOTlhMi00MDE0LTljM2EtN2Y4

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rayban said:

Another director, other than Howard Hughes, who had the courage to deal with his same-sex attraction, was, of course, Luchino Viscounti, in his epic film, "Ludwig".

  MV5BNDYxODQxYjUtOTlhMi00MDE0LTljM2EtN2Y4

Good example. We've also talked about Franco Zefferelli and his adoration for Leonard Whiting, while filming ROMEO AND JULIET (1968).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Good example. We've also talked about Franco Zefferelli and his adoration for Leonard Whiting, while filming ROMEO AND JULIET (1968).

And Graham Faulkner in "Brother Sun, Sister Moon".

graham-faulkner-c1df4867-ffb2-410c-8634-

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us