Sign in to follow this  
Montserrat

MY COUSIN RACHEL will air on AMC Tue., Jan. 16 2007 at 4:15 AM / EST.

39 posts in this topic

As stated before RACHEL is a film that runs on FMC with no commercials. If you have this cable channel I would wait for them to schedule it again rather than sit through an endless amount of commercials. I suppose one could tape the film and fast forward to get through those commercials.

 

But FMC has gone to another tier on DirecTV, and I haven't "ponied up" the extra cash for it (boo-hiss). Those of us with hard-drive DVD machines collect, edit, and THEN watch (takes maybe an extra 15-20 minutes) in comfort, as long as AMC folk haven't shortened/compressed it for a slot. At 98 minutes, if they don't go 2 hours, 15 minutes one or both of those will happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Bill. I think your previous message (from the technical issues) is clearer than the one you just sent so I am copying it below. By the way, what did you mean by ?it takes about an extra 15 or 20?? What does it take that extra time?

I still haven?t open the box of my new hard drive DVD recorder!

Happy New Year to everyone.

Irma

 

Posted: 12/27/2006 11:06 EST in response to: IrmaMSQ

Thanks for the "heads-up." At least I can use the hard-drive to edit the commercials before trying to watch it - and hope they don't cut or time-compress it all to you-know-what! Just like the old days days on TNT or TBS, if it's showing in a 2-hour slot and the original is more than about 93 minutes, expect it to be trimmed.--Just checked - it's listed at 98 in Maltin, so unless they make a 2:15 slot for it, it will most likely be trimmed at least a little.

Message was edited by: Bill_McCrary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, what did you mean by ?it takes about an extra 15 or 20??

 

I meant that the machine records while the movie's on; then it takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes to edit the commercials out (from the show on the hard drive), depending on their number and how fast one is; then, for a 90 minute show after editing, it can take anything up to 24 minutes (on my Philips HDD720) - depending on the speed/quality used to record (I often put 3 hrs, sometimes 4 hours on a disc) - to archive that edited one to a DVD.

 

BTW - you can take out all the "automatic" edit points, and then where the commercial breaks are edited out will become the de facto chapter markers - or you can add extras (but the commercial places have to stay marked, at least unless you do it to DVD+RW and then edit again!).

 

Clearer? This is not the same as using a TiVo and then dubbing from that to a DVD - the DVD in this case is exactly what was on the hard drive, just edited.

 

I have to say - I had my HDD720 for over a year before I figured out the above. The book states it, but Ooooohhhhhh it drove me insane reading it. I still can't do programmed record with any certainty on it. I do a test recording (one or two minutes) on timer; works fine. I set the "real" program, and then I return to find nothing recorded. I use other machines and dub, for those, now, when I'm away.

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To all readers:

1. I looked up the FMC programming and the movie is not showing in January neither it showed in December. Who knows how long it?d take to show again.

I want to see this movie now once and for all now. I?ll record the AMC showing.

2. This message and the one below are some general technical comments about recording My Cousin Rachel?s on a DVD recorder with a hard drive to edit the commercials from AMC. I think the information can be useful for anyone who might be considering buying a DVD recorder and needs to learn how to use it. Bill makes some comments that might be useful, at least they will to me.

 

Thanks Bill for the technical information. I cannot understand some things you say probably because I?ve never recorded on DVD format (never used TiVo either). I will show your message to a colleague who has a sophisticated Home Entertainment system including a TiVo. He will probably understand what I don?t. By the way, I?d call Philips customer service if I were you.

 

I didn?t find the model of your Philips DVR listed anywhere. Is that the correct model number/name?

 

My DVR is a Panasonic DMR-EH55. It is not an HDD like yours. This one converts into HD 720p or 1080i image. I don?t know the difference between both but I hope that the result in quality of image is the same. This is link for my PAN DVR.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4081521

 

Irma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn?t find the model of your Philips DVR listed anywhere. Is that the correct model number/name? My DVR is a Panasonic DMR-EH55. It is not an HDD like yours. This one converts into HD 720p or 1080i image. I don?t know the difference between both but I hope that the result in quality of image is the same.

 

The Philips is actually an HDRW720 (I keep getting that wrong!). It's probably not in production anymore, but there are plenty on eBay (not where I got mine). I also have three non-HD Philips machines, and my Panasonic is the E50. Your EH should be a hard-drive machine (the H), so you can record (like a TiVo) and then edit - but I don't have a HD Panasonic, and all work a little differently. The point with many/most TiVo sets is that you'd still have to record the program to a disc/tape, which loses quality (but not as badly as from a tape, if the original was at one of the higher quality (read: speed) levels). Your DVD will be, essentially, exactly what the recorder took off the air, not a generation down the path. Then you can make additional ones, if that's desired for some reason, on your computer.

 

I LOVE my Philips 720 (except for the timer thing). It's getting old enough I need to investigate another one to have ready. The hard drive is doing fine so far, but I recently had to swap in a DVD drive, since the laser apparently gave out. At least it's got a REAL drive in it (just like for the computer), instead of el-cheapo non-standard stuff. If you know someone with an old, supposedly defunct CyberHome recorder, hang onto that drive inside it. It will swap into other machines like this one (also, into many/most computers with proper software).

 

PS - I see new Philips HD machines at Wally World for under $300; they look fairly substantial, but I haven't been inside of one to look (yet). If you spend much less, you'll certainly get what you pay for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Bill, I see you?re a night owl like me. I?m fallig asleep on my PC, though.

 

First of all, I wanted to tell you that yesterday The Innocents played on AMC at 3am and two imdb members posted they were watching it. One of them said that he-she owned the DVD but he-she still enjoyed watching the movie on TV! His comment made me laugh because I remembered how fussy the TCM audience is refusing to watch a movie with commecials even knowing the movie is great and not having ever seen it. Younger audiences (it seemed to me this poster was young) are more practical, less demanding and less fussier. Can you imagine someone who has the DVD and still enjoys watching the same movie on TV? Maybe because the TV makes a better friend when someone is alone. When you hear people in commercials or the sort you feel you have company. Just an idea.

 

I knew you had probably meant the model number you just gave. I came across it when searching for similar ones assuming you had given the incorrect model number. It is not on sale anymore in the main electronic stores I checked here in NYC, i.e. B&H Photo, J &R, including Philips' website.

My Panasonic DVR has a hard drive of 200 gb. Your HD Philips model seems to be a true Hi Definition one. You probably paid over US$ 1000 for it, didn?t it you? Or maybe not since you say they are being sold now for under $300. Mine is not HD but it?s the highest in price of all the non HD DVRs being sold and it is the best of its kind.

I looked for HD models in the local stores I mentioned in NYC but I only found one in B & H photo for US$ 1300. Anyway, my colleague says the one I got is perfectly all right and that it?ll give me very good quality image. He has a similar one and he says it works very good. I?ve started reading your email to him. Will continue tomorrow. He knows it all.

I?m more and less familiar with TiVo because I looked into buying one. It?s what you say, you still have to copy your movies into a DVD because the day you unsubscribe from TiVo, you lose all the movies you?ve recorded in the hard drive of TiVo. That being the case I figured I was better off saving the monthly fee and owning my own hard drive.

Thank you and good night.

 

Irma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your HD Philips model seems to be a true Hi Definition one.

 

No, the HD simply refers to having a hard drive, like the H for your Panasonic. BTW, I forgot to mention in the previous post - when you hook yours up, the i and the p refer to "interlaced" (which is standard) and "progressive scan" (more modern, like a computer monitor, at least sorta, is the way I understand it) TV screens. The DVD is recorded like all others, but it will be displayed properly for your monitor/TV by switching between interlaced and progressive (some have switches on the back (or special connections), some do this through the menu).

 

The "true HD" recorders are, indeed, still expensive; but then, my first HiFi Mitsubishi VCR (not even SVHS!) cost a little over $1,000 in January 1986.....

 

My last (or most recent) SVHS HiFi machine (which I sometimes still use to dub to DVD from) cost $49, open-box. Go figure. We can look forward to that with HiDef in 4-5 years, no doubt.

 

Likewise, I'm fading. Made a 125-mile trip and back earlier today (Tuesday, that is/was) to buy LPs and 78s to add to my superfluity. Tomorrow (today) I'll have to start sorting, cleaning, cataloguing, etc. Or, maybe not.... I'll join Ray Milland on his two "benders" instead (right before choir practice - LOL!).

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was about going to bed while listening to the music from Gladiator?s soundtrack in my yahoo music yuke box! That ?Honor him? and ?Now we are free? songs captivate me. I can die listening to them.

 

Oh yes! HD means hard drive! And HiFi Hi Definition. How couldn?t I tell? Thanks for the clarification!

My next purchase will be a HiFi flat screen TV.

Enjoy LPs work later. Feel envious about you watching Ray Milland while I?ll at be at work. From the movies TCM will be showing today I?ve only seen The Lost Weekend. The latter is a ***** film, everyone should see it!, it is without doubt the best of the ones being showed today .

 

Message was edited by: IrmaMSQ (I added the last line)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>>Younger audiences (it seemed to me this poster was young) are more practical, less demanding and less fussier. Can you imagine someone who has the DVD and still enjoys watching the same movie on TV? Maybe because the TV makes a better friend when someone is alone. When you hear people in commercials or the sort you feel you have company. Just an idea.<<

 

I just had to jump in on that one because I fall into that group! I mean, I have lots of movies on dvd but sometimes, if I'm alone, I prefer to watch one airing on TV because I feel like other people "out there" are watching with me, Lol! It' s sound like the kookiest thing, but it's how I feel. :)

 

Miss G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome MsGoddess! (do you really look line one? :-) )

 

It happens the same to me with movies that I have recorded and then I see them being aired on TV (with or without commercials) but I must say that it is not only because of the feeling I get when joining the audience watching outside my home but also because I turn the TV to have as a companion while I prepare dinner/have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

> Welcome MsGoddess! (do you really look line one? :-)

> )

 

Not since I've been munching on so many sweets lately! ;)

 

> but I must say that it is not

> only because of the feeling I get when joining the

> audience watching outside my home but also because I

> turn the TV to have as a companion while I prepare

> dinner/have it.

 

Me too!

 

Miss G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a bout of insomnia, I watched most of it at 4:15 a.m. and enjoyed it very much. How about the rest of you?

 

You all talked about it, but nobody has any reaction yet.

 

I guess I'm the only one that watched!! This is one film that should have been on DVD long before this and there's still no word about it coming out.

 

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I apologize Neil for not having replied earlier. Your message came when I was still at work, where I usually have no time to respond to. Then Friday I went to the movies (boy, I did not enjoy ?Babel,? quite a depressing movie). Last night I watched the Golden Globes repeat in Bravo. Yes, I did see the homage to Warren Beatty. I?ve seen a thread saying he gave a long message which was rather disjointed? Yes, it was long and he kind of meandered through the speech, which did not seem to have been prepared. Did you watch?

Anyway, as for the precious and long sought ?My Cousin Rachel,? yes, of course I watched!...with devotion.. and at the same time it aired, like you! except that I do not suffer from insomnia and I had to make a great effort to stay awake! I stayed up to be able to manually cut off the commercials from my VCR recording since I did not want to depend on the DVD recording my colleague said he?d do for me. BTW, the movie is 98 minutes long and I got almost 93, not bad. What about you? Did you record it?

As for the movie itself, I loved the gothic setting, the music, the cinematography... that house!, those cliffs!, the costumes! It reminded me so much of Rebecca in terms of music and the setting, quite similar to Hitchcock?s style. Richard Burton is such an attractive character and Olivia de Havilland quite an ambivalent one. You were right that she does not overpower him at all. On the contrary, she has quite an imposing personality, a woman of her own mind! ... and he is crazy about her. I?d like to be on her shoes! There is one thing about the film that truly frustrates me, though, and that is the fact that the movie gives you mixed messages about Rachel?s true intentions with Philip and his deceased cousin Ambrose. You actually will never find out whether she is guilty or innocent. That is Philip?s final line of the movie ?were you innocent or guilty??

I?m going to sleep now. Good night and thank you for remembering to see this movie and for coming back to comment on it. Irma

 

I?m editing to add that when seeing the movie somebody from the message boards of the imdb page for My Cousin Rachel contacted me saying he was watching and recording the movie and that triggered an exchange of messages between us two. He read Daphne Du Maurier novel. It?s interesting what he has to say. Check it out in www.imdb.com You also need to register like here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Irma: I'm just as enthusiastic about this one as you are. Everything about it appealed to me--especially the Gothic mood and atmosphere combined with romance. Burton and De Havilland were excellent together.

 

I did post a thread at the Golden Globes forum at "Hot Topics" in which I ranted about the whole affair. As far as I know, there were no further responses.

 

Warren Beatty, never one of my favorites, must have had a little too much to drink before he gave his "speech". And I thought Tom Hanks' intro lacked class.

 

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us