LawrenceA

Cult Films By Category

112 posts in this topic

I have a book entitled 500 Essential Cult Movies by Jennifer Eiss. It breaks cult film lists into genre categories:

Drama, Thrillers, Action, Sci-Fi, Crime, Horror, Comedy, Westerns, and Experimental. 

The book defines cult films as any that have built up a cult-like following, and they include box office hits. The author also makes critical judgments, rating the films between 0 and 5 stars. 

Each section begins with the "top ten" films of that genre, not by critical rating, but based on the size and/or vocal enthusiasm of it's following. The top ten are also listed alphabetically, and not in any qualitative listing. After the initial "top ten", many more titles are listed that are worth consideration for cult film viewers.

I thought I would list these films, in small sections, and any readers can peruse them and see if there's anything they haven't heard of, or are surprised to see listed as "Cult". There are more than a few of those. 

• Like 1

This final category is a mixed-bag. I called it "Experimental" in the OP, but the book calls it "Film Lab". Neither label seems fitting. I'll just call them...

THE REST

aguirre-wrath.jpg

barry_lyndon_ver1.jpg

decline_of_western_civilization.jpg

donnie_darko_ver3.jpg

eraserhead_ver2.jpg

Lawrence,

Thanks for all the work in listing and adding in the posters for these Top10 cult films by category.

They bring back a lot of memories over the years.

I was very surprised to see "Barry Lyndon" mentioned.  It is a movie that I watch over and over again because of the mood and experience but never thought there was any kind of cult following.  I could understand a cult following to "Paths of Glory" or even "Eyes Wide Shut".

I was very surprised to see "Barry Lyndon" mentioned.  It is a movie that I watch over and over again because of the mood and experience but never thought there was any kind of cult following.  I could understand a cult following to "Paths of Glory" or even "Eyes Wide Shut".

Yes, there's some really odd choices in that book. I'll add more of the lower-ranked titles in the future, which is where some of the more obscure titles come into play.