TopBilled

Handsome men who did not become movie stars

207 posts in this topic

Loretta had a good eye for cute young men

Maybe one of the reasons Dack didn't become a movie star is because he looks a bit feminine, at least when he was younger. But he had a deep, masculine-sounding voice. After Loretta's show, he made a mark in westerns during the late 60s and early 70s. But in the 80s, he became typecast in soap operas.

• Like 2

Maybe one of the reasons Dack didn't become a movie star is because he looks a bit feminine, at least when he was younger. But he had a deep, masculine-sounding voice. After Loretta's show, he made a mark in westerns during the late 60s and early 70s. But in the 80s, he became typecast in soap operas.

I wonder the fact that he was "bisexual" ( or as the say now "sexually fluid") hurt his leading man career

• Like 1

I wonder the fact that he was "bisexual" ( or as the say now "sexually fluid") hurt his leading man career

I think it might have been just the opposite. Men who were mostly gay but had occasional relationships with women called themselves bisexual. And this kept them employable in Hollywood. They could be seen as believable when cast in roles where they were supposed to bed women on soap operas. 

It's significant that Dack Rambo never played a homosexual character. He had to play only heterosexual men to foster the image he could go both ways. And this seems to be how it is for a lot of closeted actors, then and now.

• Like 2

JOHN KERR, on the brink of stardom in "South Pacific" -

7dafce0501bb1dd765b909641ab07820.jpg

and, in his most famous role as Tom Lee in the screen version of "Tea And Sympathy" -

John-Kerr-with-Deborah-Ke-008.jpg?w=700&

• Like 1

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-15%2Bat%2B1.17.4

I was thinking of this thread last night. I watched a TV movie made in 1982 and Perry King played the lead. He was such a great looking guy. He looked like a magazine model but he could act too. His career should have been bigger than what it was.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-12-15%2Bat%2B1.17.5

• Like 1

I was thinking of this thread last night. I watched a TV movie made in 1982 and Perry King played the lead. He was such a great looking guy. He looked like a magazine model but he could act too. His career should have been bigger than what it was.

Such a mystery, he should've been a big, big STAR.

• Like 2

Joe Penny his "Riptide" co-star was very good looking too

• Like 2

Rider Strong. A lot of you may have not heard of him, but he was a handsome teen on the show Boy Meets World in the 90's. Even though the show was a sitcom, Rider was able to do dramatic moments just as well as comedic moments the show called for. Rider did appear in a few horror films, but these days his efforts are now focused on directing, writing, and making the occasional guest appearance on TV.

Here he is in the 90's...

4f97f1c0cd419801217235689fe04b40.jpg

And now...

rider-strong.jpg

He's still hot hot hot....

• Like 3

I always think it's interesting how child stars grow up/age. We could start a whole other topic of discussion about it.

• Like 2

I always think it's interesting how child stars grow up/age. We could start a whole other topic of discussion about it.

True.

Those pictures represent Rider's hotness throughout his career. That hotness could have translated into a movie star career, but chose to focus on directing and writing instead.

Surprised you haven't posted about Van Williams in this thread yet.

• Like 3

Surprised you haven't posted about Van Williams in this thread yet.

I believe we had discussed Van Williams in one of the threads in the westerns sub-forum. But he has a lot of fans around here!

Glad you mentioned Dirk Benedict. I've always been a fan of his. He would have been great during the 30s in screwball comedies-- he has a style that gives his line deliveries irony and panache. 

• Like 2

Glad you mentioned Dirk Benedict. I've always been a fan of his. He would have been great during the 30s in screwball comedies-- he has a style that gives his line deliveries irony and panache. 

Oh, I absolutely agree. I saw some of the old episodes of The A-Team on Netflix, and he was hot, hot, hot. It's too bad his other work was mostly wasted on The Love Boat and Murder, She Wrote guest appearances. (I believe this was discussed earlier about Morgan Stevens.)

Now that I think about it, The A-Team had some of the hottest guys out there as regulars- Benedict, George Peppard (RIP), and Robert Vaughn (RIP).

• Like 2

Ian Ogilvy

wuthering+ogilvy.JPG

ian-ogilvy-witchfinder-general-1968-EF87

I just saw him - young and oh, so thin - in Michael Cacoyannis' "The Day The Fish Came Out".

Candace Bergen could not keep her hands off of him.

And, since he was pretending to be a gay man and was responsive to her, she was blowing his cover.

Matt Bomer

post-63037-0-75365200-1483806308_thumb.jpg

What a dream!

PS: Sorry about how small the image is. It was uploaded from my computer collection, but you can expand it to make it bigger. I hope that's not too much of an inconvenience for anyone.

post-63037-0-75365200-1483806308_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Matt Bomer

attachicon.gifmatt bomer.jpg

What a dream!

PS: Sorry about how small the image is. It was uploaded from my computer collection, but you can expand it to make it bigger. I hope that's not too much of an inconvenience for anyone.

He looks too thin in that photo. He's starving himself. I think he was better looking when he was on Guiding Light and had more meat on his bones. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2017-01-07%2Bat%2B9.31.0

Our fellow poster Rayban created a thread about him a few months ago. Did you see it?

• Like 1

He looks too thin in that photo. He's starving himself. I think he was better looking when he was on Guiding Light and had more meat on his bones. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2017-01-07%2Bat%2B9.31.0

Our fellow poster Rayban created a thread about him a few months ago. Did you see it?

I did not know he was on Guiding Light. He still looks AWESOME, though!

I put Bomer on this thread because, while he is in movies, (Magic Mike, Magic Mike XXL, The Nice Guys), he hasn't made the movie star transition yet. His time to make that transition, though, is short because he'll be 40 in October. Bomer is also one of my favorite actors.

I will check out rayban's thread when I have a chance.

• Like 2