TopBilled

Handsome men who did not become movie stars

207 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I remember him from his days on The Young and the Restless.

I first notice him as the masseur in a very hot scene in "Living Out Loud" (1998) He has very active tv career but never had a good major movie role

3 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I first notice him as the masseur in a very hot scene in "Living Out Loud" (1998) He has very active tv career but never had a good major movie role

I've been meaning to start a thread about soap actors on this sub-forum. I think soap actors are very typecast. A lot of them can't even find substantial roles on primetime. That's why they tend to stay on soaps. At least Cibrian was able to move into other TV projects.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I've been meaning to start a thread about soap actors on this sub-forum. I think soap actors are very typecast.

Soap actors seemed to be cast as types- hunk, villain ect.  Cibrian is a good looking pleasant guy his roles on tv are in those soap like lifetime movies in which he usually plays the hero. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2017 at 10:09 PM, jaragon said:

Soap actors seemed to be cast as types- hunk, villain ect.  Cibrian is a good looking pleasant guy his roles on tv are in those soap like lifetime movies in which he usually plays the hero. 

Yes, but if I remember correctly, Cibrian played a rapist/bad guy on Y&R.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scott Brady - I was just watching him in an atrocious film, "Gentlemen Marry Brunettes" - but he was just so good-looking and he did have enormous presence -

15ac5d3545bf5bdc32df3670706489c2--brady-

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rayban said:

Scott Brady - I was just watching him in an atrocious film, "Gentlemen Marry Brunettes" - but he was just so good-looking and he did have enormous presence -

15ac5d3545bf5bdc32df3670706489c2--brady-

I just watched that too...on the MGM Channel, right? (Though TCM has shown it.) He sang in it too; I wonder what his training was, whether or not he had any musical background. Anyway, I've always thought he was hot, but unfortunately this wasn't the only atrocious movie he was in. Fox Movie Channel has shown Love and Desire from the mid-1960's, in which a slightly blowsier but still hot Brady co-starred with the "ageless" Merle Oberon, a match not made in heaven. It seems like he was stuck mostly in B movies and westerns and, to be honest, he wasn't the greatest actor but, as you said, he had enormous presence. He and Ralph Meeker always gave me the same kind of tingle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DougieB said:

I just watched that too...on the MGM Channel, right? (Though TCM has shown it.) He sang in it too; I wonder what his training was, whether or not he had any musical background. Anyway, I've always thought he was hot, but unfortunately this wasn't the only atrocious movie he was in. Fox Movie Channel has shown Love and Desire from the mid-1960's, in which a slightly blowsier but still hot Brady co-starred with the "ageless" Merle Oberon, a match not made in heaven. It seems like he was stuck mostly in B movies and westerns and, to be honest, he wasn't the greatest actor but, as you said, he had enormous presence. He and Ralph Meeker always gave me the same kind of tingle.

Scott Brady was not in OF LOVE AND DESIRE. That was Steve Cochran.

Brady did notable film noir in the 40s like HE WALKED BY NIGHT and CANON CITY. In the 50s he did a lot of westerns. He also kept busy guest-starring on TV shows well into the 80s and though he put on weight later, he never lost his looks.

He was the brother of Lawrence Tierney.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Scott Brady was not in OF LOVE AND DESIRE. That was Steve Cochran.

Brady did notable film noir in the 40s like HE WALKED BY NIGHT and CANON CITY. In the 50s he did a lot of westerns. He also kept busy guest-starring on TV shows well into the 80s and though he put on weight later, he never lost his looks.

He was the brother of Lawrence Tierney.

Steve Cochran. Right you are. A whole different hunk. Guess I shouldn't have trusted my memory on that one.

That's interesting about Lawrence Tierney. Not a whole lot of resemblance, but that can easily be the case with brothers. (Though now that I look at rayban's western photo above, I see it more.)

• Thanks 1

It's true that Scott Brady never made it big in Hollywood, but he did star in a number of movies.  Some that I remember are "Montana Belle", "The Model and the Marriage Broker" with Jeanne Crain, and "Yankee Buccaneer", with Jeff Chandler and beautiful Suzan Ball.  Not great movies, but always entertaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougieB said:

Steve Cochran. Right you are. A whole different hunk. Guess I shouldn't have trusted my memory on that one.

That's interesting about Lawrence Tierney. Not a whole lot of resemblance, but that can easily be the case with brothers. (Though now that I look at rayban's western photo above, I see it more.)

I believe there was a third Tierney brother who dabbled in acting, too. I'd have to look it up. Scott was the more successful one within the studio system. And Lawrence fared better with critics and cult audiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terrence1 said:

It's true that Scott Brady never made it big in Hollywood, but he did star in a number of movies.  Some that I remember are "Montana Belle", "The Model and the Marriage Broker" with Jeanne Crain, and "Yankee Buccaneer", with Jeff Chandler and beautiful Suzan Ball.  Not great movies, but always entertaining.

Yes, he's very attractive in THE MODEL AND THE MARRIAGE BROKER. Another one he made around the same time for Fox was a Mitzi Gaynor creme puff called BLOODHOUNDS OF BROADWAY (1952). He resembles brother Lawrence in this still from BLOODHOUNDS OF BROADWAY:

screen-shot-2017-11-09-at-9-46-02-am.png

• Like 1

I could never forget Scott Brady, Joan Crawford and Ben Cooper in Nicholas Ray's "Johnny Guitar", which is probably  my favorite Western -

e7aa2fe6e1f93bc999ca548b45863320--joan-c

• Like 2

Edward Tierney was the other brother. He quit acting fairly quickly, though.

Brady and Lawrence Tierney both had notable brushes with the law. Brady had a drug bust (he always claimed innocence) and was heavy into gambling at the tracks. Lawrence was arrested many times for being drunk and violent, getting into bar fights and even punching cops.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Edward Tierney was the other brother. He quit acting fairly quickly, though.

Brady and Lawrence Tierney both had notable brushes with the law. Brady had a drug bust (he always claimed innocence) and was heavy into gambling at the tracks. Lawrence was arrested many times for being drunk and violent, getting into bar fights and even punching cops.

Thanks Larry. Yes, I knew there was another Tierney brother. I can imagine what their home life must have been like growing up. Sort of like the Baldwin brothers (who also have had their share of issues).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rayban said:

Who is going to provide the back story on this one? - 

95690765eda2c6b3866b35c68af55bb4--hugh-o

Br-r7WTCYAAKTVb.jpg

Do I see Tony Curtis? Is this a still from a movie or a publicity shot? Curtis was a Universal contract player at this age/stage of his career.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Do I see Tony Curtis? Is this a still from a movie or a publicity shot? Curtis was a Universal contract player at this age/stage of his career.

These are two publicity stills of contract players enjoying themselves on a day off!

5 minutes ago, rayban said:

These are two publicity stills of contract players enjoying themselves on a day off!

Interesting. If this had been done now, they'd be on their phones not playing cards.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rayban said:

Who is going to provide the back story on this one? - 

95690765eda2c6b3866b35c68af55bb4--hugh-o

Br-r7WTCYAAKTVb.jpg

If only those steam bath wall could talk...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, rayban said:

I could never forget Scott Brady, Joan Crawford and Ben Cooper in Nicholas Ray's "Johnny Guitar", which is probably  my favorite Western -

e7aa2fe6e1f93bc999ca548b45863320--joan-c

Just watched this on Hulu. I'd forgotten Ernest Borgnine was also in it, and Royal Dano. Plus Ward Bond. What a great cast.

• Like 1