TopBilled

Handsome men who did not become movie stars

207 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, rayban said:

And Ben Cooper.

It's such a distinctive Western.

I love how it ends with the haunting theme song. The finale where Mercedes McCambridge goes down is excellent. And Crawford's different in this one-- she's tough AND brooding. Republic had a good group of stock players so the scenes with the oddball characters really come to life as they try to stand up against Vienna/Crawford. Then there's Sterling Hayden...nobody could strum a guitar so well. LOL

Screen shot 2017-11-10 at 3.57.45 PM.png

• Like 2

Sterling Hayden is a very interesting actor - he's cast well against Joan Crawford, who seems more masculine in every way - he's  much "softer", but so attractive, too.

Nicholas Ray handles the ensemble cast with a great deal of sensitivity.

Scott Brady might never have been better.

So many characters - coming to life!

Some films can be seen again and again - "Johnny Guitar" is one of them.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, rayban said:

Sterling Hayden is a very interesting actor - he's cast well against Joan Crawford, who seems more masculine in every way - he's  much "softer", but so attractive, too.

Nicholas Ray handles the ensemble cast with a great deal of sensitivity.

Scott Brady might never have been better.

So many characters - coming to life!

Some films can be seen again and again - "Johnny Guitar" is one of them.

I agree, Ray. I think I'm going to watch it again tonight. I've been thinking about it all day. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I agree, Ray. I think I'm going to watch it again tonight. I've been thinking about it all day. 

A wise decision!

• Thanks 1

On 11/9/2017 at 6:18 PM, jaragon said:

Really? I can't imagine him playing a bad guy

Yeah, his character assaulted the Sharon character whom he had been dating and the Nick Newman character fought him.  TopBilled probably remembers this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Yeah, his character assaulted the Sharon character whom he had been dating and the Nick Newman character fought him.  TopBilled probably remembers this.

Yes I do. I haven't really followed Cibrian's career since he left Y&R. He was definitely a villain/cad during his soap days. The Matt Clark character returned a few years later, played by Rick Hearst. I think Cibrian might have been on Baywatch Nights then and not available.

I just looked at his wiki page and see he married LeAnn Rimes. I remember there was a scandal about them both cheating on their other spouses. I didn't realise they ended up tying the knot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the photos and shout-outs to Johnny Guitar, one of my favorite westerns, too.  I love everything about it:  the rich color cinematography, the tension between Mercedes and Joan, Joan with Sterling, the whole storyline.  Great cast!  Nick Ray sure made some interesting and original movies.

• Like 2

Since we're on a Marc Singer kick, he appeared in the dream season of Dallas, which is my favourite year of the series, 1985-86. They used him in a plot where J.R. (Larry Hagman) was trying to discredit/swindle Pam (Victoria Principal). Marc Singer played an emerald hunter named Matt Cantrell. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 4.32.36 PM.jpg

• Like 2

Marc Singer was a rising star in the early to mid-80's but it fizzled out. I recall him mainly from The Beastmaster, the two V mini-series, a TV movie called The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan, and a Canadian movie called If You Could See What I Hear. He never really quit working but it became almost entirely direct-to-video stuff or cable movies. I know he makes a nice living off of the sci-fi convention circuit, too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Marc Singer was a rising star in the early to mid-80's but it fizzled out. I recall him mainly from The Beastmaster, the two V mini-series, a TV movie called The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan, and a Canadian movie called If You Could See What I Hear. He never really quit working but it became almost entirely direct-to-video stuff or cable movies. I know he makes a nice living off of the sci-fi convention circuit, too.

Yeah he is one of these actors who never got the break to leap to A list productions but as you said he is sci-fi fan favorite

• Like 1

"The Beastmaster" was released in 1982, "The Beastmaster II" was released 9 years later, 1991 and "The Beastmaster III" was released 5 years later, 1996 - why such a long time between sequels?

876f6296e653bf09995b53ae51a401b8--marc-s

b872c009ed3073ae83c6dc61db006b3a--marc-s

36 minutes ago, rayban said:

"The Beastmaster" was released in 1982, "The Beastmaster II" was released 9 years later, 1991 and "The Beastmaster III" was released 5 years later, 1996 - why such a long time between sequels?

The sequels were much cheaper, and done without the participation of original writer-director Don Coscarelli (PhantasmBubba Ho-Tep). One of the original film's producers, Sylvio Tabet, directed the first sequel. The last movie was made by yet another filmmaker, with Tabet executive producing. The 2nd and 3rd films are considered awful in most quarters, with the second one often landing on so-bad-its-good lists. There has been talk for years about a rebooted movie with a bigger budget, since the original movie has garnered a cult following over the years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rayban said:

876f6296e653bf09995b53ae51a401b8--marc-s

b872c009ed3073ae83c6dc61db006b3a--marc-s

Those jeans look as they are about to ripp:)....but seriously now yeah I can see a big budget remake

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jaragon said:

Those jeans look as they are about to ripp:)....but seriously now yeah I can see a big budget remake

Me, too - with a guest appearance from Mr. Singer himself.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2017 at 8:49 PM, LawrenceA said:

While we're on the subject of V, it was the final project of Dominique Dunne, who was murdered a year before the miniseries aired. Most of her footage was cut out, but she still appeared in long shots. Dunne was not credited.

• Sad 1

Jonathan Brandis was a teen heartthrob in the 90's who was best known for his role on SeaQuest DSV. Less than ten years after the series was cancelled, Brandis killed himself. Like River Phoenix, he was a talented and beautiful child star who died too soon.

image.jpeg.49b892de95c3e3cd2237c6fbf17b05b1.jpeg

image.jpeg.42e9d349e881f776b7af8529ffa3c8d5.jpeg

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, jinsinna13 said:

Jonathan Brandis was a teen heartthrob in the 90's who was best known for his role on SeaQuest DSV. Less than ten years after the series was cancelled, Brandis killed himself. Like River Phoenix, he was a talented and beautiful child star who died too soon.

image.jpeg.49b892de95c3e3cd2237c6fbf17b05b1.jpeg

image.jpeg.42e9d349e881f776b7af8529ffa3c8d5.jpeg

Never to be forgotten:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1