Sign in to follow this  
The_Malestrom

The Man Who Fell To Earth

4 posts in this topic

Can't use two emojis on one post. So I thank you for the article. And "like" your post. The interview was fascinating and continued on to Deeley's reminiscences of Blade Runner. All three parts of the interview were worth reading for any classic sci-fi fan.

And "Blade Runner" and "Man Who Fell to Earth" are two of my favorites.

• Like 2

On 10/30/2017 at 1:19 PM, marcar said:

Can't use two emojis on one post. So I thank you for the article. And "like" your post. The interview was fascinating and continued on to Deeley's reminiscences of Blade Runner. All three parts of the interview were worth reading for any classic sci-fi fan.

And "Blade Runner" and "Man Who Fell to Earth" are two of my favorites.

Two of my favorites as well.  Such an embarrassment of riches in that era!

• Like 1

We're so conditioned to think of film as a director's medium that it's really interesting to get a producer's point of view. I wish he'd talked about budget because surely The Man Who Fell to Earth was done on a much lower budget, which was part of what I loved about it. The carefully chosen NASA stock footage and the juke box of odd choices for musical soundtrack made it a closer relative to 1950's low-budget sci-fi than to (then) more recent films like  2001. Some of it was even downright shabby, like the flashback to his home planet with that weird train thing, but none of that mattered, to my mind, or got in the way of Roeg's storytelling. And if Bowie really was a little unhinged at the time, as Deeley suggests, I think it worked for the character of an alien making his way step-by-step on a foreign planet. I admire what Ridley Scott did with Blade Runner, with its amazing musical score and brilliant effects, but I adore what Roeg managed to do with far less. (With the notable exception of the scene added to the director's cut now in circulation in which a gun is sexualized as part of lovemaking....No thanks.)